Wiki Posts
Search

UA status on ANA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, American
UA status on ANA?

I'm a United platinum traveling from the US to Singapore and am considering using the All Nippon Airways (Japan) code share to get ANA service but with my UA status and mileage/PQS accumulation on UA. Will I get UA PQS/PQM and also ability to select my seats before checkin? Trying to use my United status, get United credit but ANA service (versus flying actual United flights to Singapore, which were/are terrible).
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by apomeroy3
I'm a United platinum traveling from the US to Singapore and am considering using the All Nippon Airways (Japan) code share to get ANA service but with my UA status and mileage/PQS accumulation on UA. Will I get UA PQS/PQM and also ability to select my seats before checkin? Trying to use my United status, get United credit but ANA service (versus flying actual United flights to Singapore, which were/are terrible).
If the flight is a UA codeshare (booked using 016 ticket stock) then you will get PQS/PQM and PQD. When you are looking at the flights, the UA web site shows you the expected earnings for the flights. If you were to book directly with ANA, you would still get PQS and PQM but not PQD.
As far as selecting seats...I'm not sure, it's been a couple of years since I've booked ANA codeshares. In the past I could select seats by calling. Also, for an NRT to SFO flight, I was able to have the agent in the ANA lounge move me to an exit row seat since I was Star Gold at the time, but not sure if you could achieve that flying from the U.S.
apomeroy3 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apomeroy3
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You don't need to take codeshare flights in order to get UA PQS/PQM. Whether you fly on ANA (NH) codes or UA codes, you'll get the same PQM and PQS, which will be based upon the NH table. All you have to do is make sure to provide your MileagePlus number during the booking process (or at check-in, if you forget / can't).

The number of redeemable miles you earn will differ depending upon whether you book on a UA (016) or NH (220) ticket, however. If you book on a UA ticket, as a Platinum you'll get 9x the PQD. If you book on an NH ticket, you'll get a percentage of distance flown (chart). While it's a little hidden on the chart, you do get an extra 75% credit for your Platinum status, but that's based upon the earnings from the underlying fare -- so if you fly 10,000 miles in K class, you'd earn 10,000 * 25% = 2500 + 75% = 4,375 miles.

Hope this helps.
apomeroy3 and Flying Machine like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, apomeroy3!

You will have no problem getting seats. Use the NH PNR (you can get that on united.com) to do it on ANA's website, or call them.
apomeroy3 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:39 am

I've flown ANA a few times over the last six months and each time I've been able to select seats on ANA's website after booking, even if I booked through UA. At check-in on one Y flight, I was even put in premium economy.
apomeroy3 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's no reason not to fly NH from a mileage accrual perspective. If you buy the ticket from UA, the flight will credit just as it would on UA. If you buy it from NH, you won't get PQD and mileage (RDM) will be calculated based on miles flown rather than dollars spent.

Advance seat assignment is not an issue (though if you are in economy and not on a full fare Y or B, your choices will be restricted).
apomeroy3 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I did this recently with no problems.

Use the NH PNR (or they now say the UA one will also work, I haven't tried it) to select seats.

There must be some reverse notification to UA, because the seats are showing on the UA site - I can't change seats there, but they're showing.

The only thing I've been unable to do is pre-select a meal since that seems to limited to NH members. Thtat's not a huge biggie as I'm looking forward to the Japanese meal, which I'm sure they'll have plenty of on board.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by milepig
There must be some reverse notification to UA, because the seats are showing on the UA site - I can't change seats there, but they're showing.
Not a notification. The seat assignment becomes part of the record, which is what UA is pulling from when you look at the reservation on the website or the app. Seat assignments on partners will pretty much always show in this way.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:54 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Meals on ANA are excellent IMO and so was the crew, much better than anything UA will serve you. I flew BC YVR HND and BKK HND YVR the only disappointing part of the trip was no lie flats and I found the recliners not comfortable for sleeping if the footrest came up all the way it would have been a much better experience. I felt like I was sliding downhill.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
I flew ANA on a PVG-KIX leg a couple weeks ago. Didn't pre-select my seat and wound up in a good seat on a 767 with no one next to me. FAs were way too friendly (which was nice for a change) and we got a full meal in economy that was pretty tasty. Not sure this picture does it any good, but yeah, nice surprise! (I wasn't expecting a meal of any kind.)

I'd fly ANA again, but only if I can get the segments on a 016 ticket. I'm greedy and want the PDQs to accrue.

Food in Y on ANA from PVG-KIX departing at 12:20pm.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
The seat assignment becomes part of the record, which is what UA is pulling from when you look at the reservation on the website or the app. Seat assignments on partners will pretty much always show in this way.
Though in my experience, United only queries them once, and doesn't reflect any changes.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Though in my experience, United only queries them once, and doesn't reflect any changes.
Huh? My experience, which includes at least half a dozen partner segments in the past 6 weeks or so (both paid and award), is that the UA record updates virtually immediately.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Huh? My experience, which includes at least half a dozen partner segments in the past 6 weeks or so (both paid and award), is that the UA record updates virtually immediately.
Last summer my experience was similar to mahasamatman's, at least with respect to the website's seat assignment display. Right now I'm not willing to change my seat even temporarily to find out what happens, although I believe I have selected then changed once and the app+website reflect the current assignments.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: ANA Pt
I've switched all my TPAC to ANA from UA over the last year, so no more 1K for me next year. Getting status match to AMC Platinum, which will help during this first year switch (ask your travel agent) Much easier to get award and upgrade seats on ANA and no comparison on service.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My experiences have always been any seat changes that i made on NH site almost immediately shows up on my UA res on united.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.