Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 EWR-HKG delayed / diverted to SFO and then cancelled - 7 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 179 EWR-HKG delayed / diverted to SFO and then cancelled - 7 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ErikStratton

we coast to a smooth stop and the First Officer comes on and calmly says it was some sort of blown air gasket (?) on the starboard engine and we will be returning to gate.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yep, that’s the sum of it.
(now if I was a United PR guy, I’d put all those pax stranded in SFO on a bus, take them on a tour of Chinatown. Then treat them to a meal at one of the great restaurants there. ).
And in true UA style they'd try to convince the pax that they were actually IN Hong Kong.
CaptainMiles and rmannion like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:33 am

For things like this EC261/2004 is worth a lot for passengers in Europe..of course unfortunately in America you're at the airline's mercy and those characters aren't known for their generosity.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by runner450
Do we really want to be sharing internal UA emails?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
There's nothing here that the FO didn't announce ... so relax
Miggles and transportprof like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2018 at 12:12 pm Reason: unneeded comment removed
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
If you’d like to discuss offline, feel free to PM me your United company email. I’ll be happy to buy you a coffee here at Willis.
caverunner17 and laxmillenial like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
(now if I was a United PR guy, I’d put all those pax stranded in SFO on a bus, take them on a tour of Chinatown. Then treat them to a meal at one of the great restaurants there. ).
Better make sure no one decides to goto a different restaurant and get hit by a car when crossing the road
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Similar thing happened to me last year on EWR-HKG. Plane pushed back on time but we sat on the taxiway for couple of hours before returning to gate due to MX. (inopp HF radio needed for polar routes). They brought in a new plane but scheduled a diversion to SFO to re-crew with a 7 hour delayed arrival in HKG. Sounds like standard procedure for this flight.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:29 pm

So we know why the reason for the original delay (low speed abort) leaving EWR but what was the reason for the cancellation of SFO-HKG after the planned stop for recrew? Operational Difficulties is very vague and could mean anything.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Probably difficulty finding crew at 1am PT and easier to rebook passengers on UA869 today.

Originally Posted by worldtrav
So we know why the reason for the original delay (low speed abort) leaving EWR but what was the reason for the cancellation of SFO-HKG after the planned stop for recrew? Operational Difficulties is very vague and could mean anything.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Similar thing happened to me last year on EWR-HKG. Plane pushed back on time but we sat on the taxiway for couple of hours before returning to gate due to MX. (inopp HF radio needed for polar routes). They brought in a new plane but scheduled a diversion to SFO to re-crew with a 7 hour delayed arrival in HKG. Sounds like standard procedure for this flight.
I believe SFO is the best place to crew Inflight. Isn't this operated by sCO? I don't know if a sCO has an ORD base but definitely at SFO. Flight deck, though metal doesn't make a difference, have an SFO base.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by runner450
wow where did you find this information?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flyingwasabi

Does PAX 38/73 mean 38 in J and only 73 in Y?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

runner450 always finds the best 'true' information and clears up many 'assumptions' we have about how things work at UA. I assume he works there.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
That is information that is available internally. I've never reposted any of that information as it wasn't clear to me that we were authorized to do so though it doesn't have the usual warning about it being confidential. Runner450 apparently works in Willis and knows more about that that I do. It is interesting to see more details about these notable flights and how the disruptions are handled behind the scenes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.