Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I think I got food poisoning while traveling with UA", what can I do?

Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Some resources on the topic

Originally Posted by jsloan
The vast majority of causes of food-borne illness will not cause symptoms to appear until well after ingestion.
Here's a chart from the FDA: https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm103263.htm
Your doctor should be able to tell you more about the likely time of infection.
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
First time that I had fever and food poisoning after the morning flight LAX-IAH two weekends ago. Customer Care put me to the United Airlines Corporate Insurance Department, mentioning there will be a claim reviewed by the department. What exactly is the department doing? ....
While self-diagnosis of food poisoning is difficult and self-identification of the source is equally difficult, if you feel UA may be the source, you can do some or all of the following
-- notify the the flight crew. While there isn't much the flight crew can do, unless you need immediate medical assistance, they can report your situation on arrival
-- Notify UA Customer Care or use your elite email contact.
-- Contract your primary care medical profession and ask for advice. Note some forms of food poisoning can be confirmed by tests.
-- Report the incident to health authorities at the departure locale
-- Consult the T&Cs of your travel insurance and/or credit card travel benefits to see if you have grounds for a claim
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "I think I got food poisoning while traveling with UA", what can I do?

Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by catocony
OP, besides you and your mother, were other passengers sick as well? I'm assuming that most of them ate the salad and appetizer too.
Can't speak to the condition of other pax, but frankly I was focused on my own condition and that of my mother. I have zero insight if other passengers became ill or not.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You're about to deal with many people laying the blame elsewhere (rather than UA) and, to me, 4 hours after consumption is way to quick for that to set in. Regardless, having been an adherent to the porcelain god at times, glad you recovered.
The Mayo clinic disagrees with you:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20356230
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Just to suggest that if you and your mother spent substantial time in the lav during this flight, you probably would have noticed if there were a lot of other J PAX doing the same thing. Since pretty much everyone gets the same salad and appetizer, there likely would have been a traffic jam of very uncomfortable people. Unless UA gets reports that there were other unrelated PAX who also became ill, the fact that two related PAX did become ill suggests strongly that the source of the illness was not UA's catering (unless it was a leftover meal from the DEN kitchen)>
IAH-OIL-TRASH and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Possibly suspect either salmonellosis from the plane food or norovirus from somewhere along your travels ahead of the flight. It is possible that foodhandling on and up to the plane can contribute as well as improper refrigeration of the containers etc. (maybe left out a couple of plates or a head of lettuce too long, or had a contaminated leaf, etc.) Everyone also cultures/responds to bacteria challenges at different rates or not at all. There are a host of factors which can explain why only 2 people fell ill or had mild/delayed symptoms.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
The Mayo clinic disagrees with you:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20356230
Actually they don't. Of the 13 specific contaminants listed only 1, Staphylococcus aureus, can be expected to cause problems that quickly, the remainder 8 hours or later. With that in perspective my post holds up rather well.
onthesam and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Can't speak to the condition of other pax, but frankly I was focused on my own condition and that of my mother. I have zero insight if other passengers became ill or not.
Sorry - it would have been a very noticeable problem. If it affected your flight, it’s likely many others were likely to be affected. You can’t rule out other sources of the problems.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Traveled last week with my mother on UA960 EWR-FRA in C, and about 4 hours after dinner we both became violently ill and spent the remainder of the flight praying to the porcelain gods. No chance it was anything eaten before the flight, and the only common things we both ate on the flight were the salad and the smoked duck appetizer. Suffice it to say, I've never been so violently ill so quickly and was the personification of the walking dead for about 24hrs after arriving. Thankfully, the recovery was about as rapid as the onset, but goodness there had to be some funky growth (likely staph given the quick onset) on the food. This also isn't the first time this has happened to me on a UA flight; last experience was NRT-DEN a couple years ago. Shot a note to 1kVoice and received a $200 cert, but frankly I don't know if that's good or bad given that (fortunately) I've never been so ill in my life. Keen to hear the experience of others, and what the response has been from UA.
Not sure what else UA can do other than $200, the truth is that absent a test, and other unrelated claims, it is hard to pin on any one source given that Food poisoning can get in anywhere from an hour or two to several days later. And then whatever the contaminate could be on only a few items. Given what you have posted, I strongly suspect UA is the issue (could be unclean plate, unclean handling, or on the food itself) but proving fault is very difficult.

You're about to deal with many people laying the blame elsewhere (rather than UA) and, to me, 4 hours after consumption is way to quick for that to set in. Regardless, having been an adherent to the porcelain god at times, glad you recovered.
100% agree on the first part, but food poisoning can set in quite quickly, multiple web-sources say as short as "a few hours". Only time I ever got sick, it was two hours after eating it. It was "something tastes pdd" followed by tossing up everything I had eaten two hours later. And given my diet before (nothing that would have food poisoning in it) I am 100% certain of the cause, as was my resident GF who was with me....

I can tell you definitively that in the 48hrs prior to the flight there was nothing that my mother and I consumed that wasn't consumed by at least one - most times 2-4 - additional people, none of whom reported any symptoms of any kind.
Again I believe you, and this is how one traces to the likely source. Just realize that this is still - absent a test - the "likely sources." legally you need a test, or a "cluster" and you have neither. So don't expect more than $200.

p.s. sorry you got stick, no fun, especially in J. This said, I don't blame UA here directly, they use food vendors just like OALs due, and it is Jersey, afterall....
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Actually they don't. Of the 13 specific contaminants listed only 1, Staphylococcus aureus, can be expected to cause problems that quickly, the remainder 8 hours or later. With that in perspective my post holds up rather well.
My wife and I stayed at the Stanley Hotel years ago, had the same thing for dinner, and within 2 hrs both of us were violently ill, so much so we discussed getting a second room to allow both of us access to a bathroom full time that night. We hadn't seen each other in two weeks, so I'm pretty sure it was the dinner. Now maybe it was a curse for staying at the Stanley, as I'm a huge fan of The Shining, but who knows.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by prestonh
yup, it could be norovirus but the onset takes a bit longer than in the op's case.
Just because the OP got sick XX hours after eating on a plane we have not been provided any information about where the OP spent the prior 48 hours. Germs are everywhere and they could have picked up a virus practically anywhere unless they have been living a sterile bubble. I know it is easy to automatically blame food poisoning but diagnosing a single case of food poisoning without a very controlled environment is a bit like nailing jello to the wall.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: mileage plus
Exclamation food poisoning on United TLV to EWR

Several of us got food poisoning on our flight from TLV to EWR eating lamb chops in Business class. Upon serving us, within three hours several of us started to get the classic symptoms..quite severe for three days. United has some explaining to do ONCE AGAIN. We will see their response as this is not the first time on their International flight.

Also, can someone explain why the Flight Attendants abruptly serve us our meals within the first hour and then for Hours, non-existent unlike their competitors?? It really is comical but sad. So, the lady next to us requested later time and the reaction was a stone face. We are flying United less and less on business international and this is why.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
If by several, you mean more than 2 passengers in business cabin who's travel paths are completely unrelated, not family members traveling together, and the only commonality between each other is that United flight, then, yes, I agree with you.
Was nothing said onboard? FA? Purser? If several were getting sick, I'm sure someone would have noticed something, especially if that meant the lavatories were tied up.

Care to explain the "Once again" comment? Once again usually indicates it's happened to you before? Yet welcome to Flyertalk lol.

The wiki in this thread lays out some advice as to who to contact and report things to, which I would highly encourage you to do.

EDIT: The wiki doesn't. Sorry. Report to UA and to the NJ Department of Health since you landed in EWR. My bad.
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
I agree...some more info is required before we find guilt. Yes, food poisoning happens sometimes. But it is not easily proved. It is far easier to make blanket accusations without evidence, particularly on a first post.

And, as this appears to be food catered from TLV, wouldn't the caterer have the responsibility?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: mileage plus
No, it was the person behind me as well since we were served this particular entree. Food poisoning builds up slowly so we just coughed it up to normal chills but it really hit later on the flight. There is not much a FA can do by voicing our concerns as many of us know the service with UNITED is so so lacking now. Both of them were reading their books in front behind the curtains which a GS person told us is standard practice with UNITED on long trips. Sorry, but United deserves the rating near the bottom. We will fly other Business class Airlines to make a full judgment. Last time I fly with them on International routes.

That is a good point, I will let the other flyer know about reporting to the EWR Health related Agency in that region..I must say on a United Express Republic flight the Attendant was EXCELLENT..I told him he should be moved over to EWR to Europe routes.)
Old May 11, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Rogers1961
No, it was the person behind me as well since we were served this particular entree. Food poisoning builds up slowly so we just coughed it up to normal chills but it really hit later on the flight. There is not much a FA can do by voicing our concerns as many of us know the service with UNITED is so so lacking now. Both of them were reading their books in front behind the curtains which a GS person told us is standard practice with UNITED on long trips. Sorry, but United deserves the rating near the bottom. We will fly other Business class Airlines to make a full judgment. Last time I fly with them on International routes.

That is a good point, I will let the other flyer know about reporting to the EWR Health related Agency in that region..I must say on a United Express Republic flight the Attendant was EXCELLENT..I told him he should be moved over to EWR to Europe routes.)
I know the FA can't do much, but the severity of an event is usually magnified when someone sees it occurring in person vs hearing about it in an email. That is why I asked if in-flight personnel were notified.

May we ask what entree you got? Normal off the menu or was it a special meal?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:53 pm

Don’t most foodborne illnesses take multiple (like 12+) hours to incubate and manifest themselves? I thought we had this discussion on FT a while ago.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.