Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

42m connection at DEN, but there's 15 of us

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

42m connection at DEN, but there's 15 of us

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:44 am

Some great advice in this thread.

I have nothing else to add, but I would like the OP to return to the thread and let us know if the Group of 14 made the connection.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
I have done plenty of 40 minute connections in DEN without problems from the main concourse to the CRJ gates and vice versa.
Due to the late arrival of my aircraft last time it was a 15 minute connection which I made but luckily my CRJ's arrival gate was at the main concourse virtually opposite my departure gate. I have to say from my experience over the last decade plenty of CRJs use the main concourse for arrivals/departures.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Was this connection how it was originally booked or is there a schedule change? If there is a schedule change, call and get switched to a later flight now. If you booked it this way, then there probably isn't anything they will do in advance unless you are willing to pay.

If you absolutely must stay together, then changing to a different connection now is the best option (even if it involves additional cost), rather than waiting to see what would happen if you do miss the connection. Last minute, trying to rebook 14 people, it is very likely you would be split up among different flights. If you do stick with this connection, have a plan in advance of what you will do if they can't keep you together. When I traveled with large groups, we usually had a plan in our mind in advance of who would go with who if we did have to split up (making sure that the naive travelers always had someone with them, if someone had to be left by themselves it was one of the most able travelers, etc).
Looks like I'll be trying to call, not having that work, and then scouring EF for some preemptive contingency plans.

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
There is a reason I usually travel alone. This will be like herding cats, particularly if these are not experienced travelers. You don't mention dates or day of the week. Are you a ski club ? March is somewhat insane at DEN because of all the spring breaks. If you are on a CRJ200 where the next flight is a bigger plane and there are enough seats, I will take a wild guess and say they aren't waiting. The flight blocks keep those small jet gates hopping. Also, if you are all taking equipment which is special handled luggage, again don't count on it all making it. If this is a group od adults, you may want to discuss the possibility you won't make it. If not, at that point, keep in mind that rebooking may well depend on each person's status and ticket price.

You will have an idea of the gate distance once you check in but don't count on it since particularly the small jet flights change fairly often.
Saturday morning. Heading to Yellowstone in May/June. The next flight is a A320 but I don't imagine it'll be likely to have 15 vacant seats on it. We'll try to avoid special handling, probably force everyone into carry-on only. No status. Group fares for the 14, corporate for me -- probably very low priority then?

Originally Posted by Tblack15
You'll land in the B gates (somewhere in the middle usually) and have to trek all the way out to the B80-90's.. this could be a haul and you might want to find your closest "Usain Bolt" and get him/her to run down first to tell them they're on their way.
Funny you say that, 2-3 members of our group are on our D1 school's cross country/track team.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Not sure that there is much advice that can actually help much. Try to get the 14 seats close to the front of the aircraft from EWR. Since you’re going to be in DEN ahead of them, you can go to your BIL gate and tell the GA about the group and hope for the best. Tell your group to hurry up, not stop for food or bathroom breaks, etc.
Originally Posted by EricH
One major thing in your favor is that you will be at the gate and you can monitor their inbound flight. Try to explain the situation to someone on the crew, preferably the captain, and hope that it works out. Don't expect them to hold the flight if the inbound is more than a little delayed, but they may work with you if it won't wreck that plane's schedule for the day.
Okay, so it sounds like if I can't negotiate a preemptive change I'll just be monitoring from time of their departure and stationed at the CRJ gate. I'll bring some gear from our group to help negotiate with the GAs if it comes down to that.

Originally Posted by jsloan
If this is a group of 14 adults, I wouldn't worry too much (but I would watch for schedule changes and consider requesting a proactive re-route if one occurs). If this is a group of 6 adults and 8 children, I'd have serious concerns. The first flight of the day is the least likely to be delayed; there aren't many 4 AM arrivals at EWR, so there's a good chance the plane and crew will have remained overnight there, and there aren't likely to be big taxi or weather delays at EWR at 5 AM either. UA requires that you be in the boarding area 15 minutes prior to departure, so that gives you 27 minutes to deplane and cross the airport if everything is exactly on time. DEN Is big, but it's not that big.

Do any of the travelers have status? Are they flying in F or Y? If Y, regular economy or Basic Economy? They should sit as close to the front of the cabin as possible.

Do not expect UA to hold the plane, although they might; UA operations will take a lot of factors into account. It's possible that the next BIL-DEN flight has 30 people with very tight connections, and holding the plane for your group of 14 actually causes more harm than good in terms of the overall number of affected passengers. Also, as has been pointed out, if the previous night's last DEN-BIL flight got cancelled, there might be 15 standby passengers at the gate; all things being equal, UA would probably rather take 14 of those and deal with your group later than induce a delay.

And, the chances of UA allowing a fee-free change in advance are close to zero, barring a schedule change. I wouldn't even bother calling, especially if you're trying to move all 14 people. A friendly agent might waive the change fee, but waiving a fare difference could be a more difficult request -- and there's no way to know what the fare will be by the time you're getting to the last group, since UA doesn't ever list more than 9 seats available for sale at a time. (A single reservation with 10+ people goes through group sales).
No status, they're all behind the exit row. I'll try calling still, but that makes me much less optimistic re success.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
What I want to know if you’re going to take the flight when they may miss it by 20-30min. Should make for some interesting dinner conversations over the next 2 days as the rest of the group starts to trickle in.
I'll probably negotiate at DEN to get myself put on a later flight with them if this ends up happening.

Originally Posted by ecaarch
The OP has been given some really good advice here (gotta love the collective wisdom of FlyerTalk). I would add:

1. Every experienced traveler should be paired with an unexperienced traveler/minor.
2. Don't even attempt to keep a group that large moving together. You will move slower than you ever thought was humanly possible.
3. Each pair is on their own to get from the arriving gate to the departing gate. If there are minors, make it a contest to see which pair gets to you first - you would be amazed at the ability of children to get adults to move faster.
4. As suggested, chat up the GA when you arrive (early) so that he/she is aware of the group.
5. All the pax should use the lavatory on the inbound flight just before landing. NO RESTROOM BREAKS ON THE GROUND AT DEN.
6. Every pax should have a copy of the airport map (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../maps/den.aspx) so they know where they are and where they gotta get to. Xerox paper copies, have it on their phones, whatever it takes. Even the un-experienced and minor travelers should have it. They should also have the outbound flight number in bold on their maps. That way, they won't be fumbling looking for their boarding pass with the connecting flight number. Everything that they need to get from point A to point B is on the map.
7. The experienced traveler in each pair should be versed in the back-up plan in case that pair doesn't make it. Write the back-up options down and distribute them. In the stress of the moment, if something goes wrong, even experienced travelers forget things that they thought they had memorized. When I know that I'll have an exceptionally tight connection in advance, I will literally print out the combinations of flights that will get me to my destination. On more than one occasion, that prepared list of options included a routing/flight that the GA/transfer desk didn't think of but worked out for me.
8. You should be the last to board the flight. That way, you can count heads as the pairs arrive at the departure gate/board and you can let the GA know if your group is missing 2 people or 10 people.

Good luck. It is do-able, and you are wise to be thinking ahead. ^
Really good points. I'll send out the airport map and NO BATHROOM BREAKS rule that morning.

Originally Posted by TA
OP give us some demographics about the group so we can enjoy the drama unfold -- is it a group of high school kids who can sprint? Parents with infants? Elderly tour group? It makes a practical difference. And tell us about how it went afterwards...
18-20 year old college students. Smart kids.

Originally Posted by mduell
1) Don't expect UA to hold the connection for you.

2) If there was a schedule change after booking that pushed this connection from 2h down to 42m, sure. If you booked something like this, no.

3) Plan appropriately for the age, temperament, and capabilities of the group when the predictable happens. That could mean snacks, electronic entertainment, clothes, etc in the carryons.
Re 3): booze, booze, and more booze.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you can't make any changes, here's what I'd do.

Pick out the most reliable person, and let them know of this plan.
As soon as you know the gate for the onward flight text the gate number to that person.
Tell them to look for a text the second they land.
Tell them to text you as soon as they've landed and have access to their phone so you know they're in DEN.
You should wait by the gate for the ongoing flight, and engage in conversation with the agent. Let him or her know that 14 people are hoofing it over from flight xxx at gate yyy and they're on the ground.
If time is really tight watch for the kids and let the agent know the second they're in sight.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
It's already been said, but the biggest thing again to impress on the group how imperative it is to all use the lav on the EWR-DEN flight and then hustle as fast as possible from that gate to the BIL gate. No restrooms, no food, no shopping, no gazing at phones while walking, just have to walk straight ahead as quickly as possible.
jsloan and notquiteaff like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JNelson113
It's already been said, but the biggest thing again to impress on the group how imperative it is to all use the lav on the EWR-DEN flight and then hustle as fast as possible from that gate to the BIL gate. No restrooms, no food, no shopping, no gazing at phones while walking, just have to walk straight ahead as quickly as possible.
I forgot about the "keep your phones in your pockets" part - that alone could cut the transit time in half. Eyes forward, follow the leader, maintain forward motion, don't push people aside but hustle as quickly as you can. Think "race walking." If possible without hitting other pax, get your backbacks on your backs before exiting the plane.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Tblack15
You'll land in the B gates (somewhere in the middle usually) and have to trek all the way out to the B80-90's.. this could be a haul and you might want to find your closest "Usain Bolt" and get him/her to run down first to tell them they're on their way.
How times change. We used to say "O. J. Simpson".
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Okay - good info. One other note on carryon, etc - if anyone will be bringing hiking poles, check carefully what is allowed. I haven't had issues but the last time I went to St George, UT, they were okay as carryon/gate check going into St George but had to be checked going out(I don't know if there was really a reason). Same deal with track spikes if anyone is taking them.

(And no they can't buy marijuana at the airport
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
How times change. We used to say "O. J. Simpson".
I gave up the OJ routine long before Usain.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
My only experience with a connection in Denver was not good. Coming in from EWR there were about 12 people that had the same connection to LAS. There were three of us 2 in F one in Y. FA told me the Captain told ops that there were 12 people on the inbound (which was delayed for ATC hold) and we were told they would hold the plane. Wrong....My family of 3 were the first at the gate for the LAS flight as we had run right there. The plane was there, it was probably 10 minutes before push back but the GA had just closed the door, and would not reopen. Last flight of the day on UA. As the others got to the gate it was not a happy gathering. We watched as the plane sat at the gate for 15 minutes after the departure time. I got the GA to endorse the tickets to Frontier to get out of there that night. Not sure what happened to everybody else. Didn't see anybody on the Frontier flight. GA kept saying to people they are not responsible as it was an ATC hold in EWR and she would put people on the first available UA flight. I wouldn't accept that, guess others did.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Okay - good info. One other note on carryon, etc - if anyone will be bringing hiking poles, check carefully what is allowed. I haven't had issues but the last time I went to St George, UT, they were okay as carryon/gate check going into St George but had to be checked going out(I don't know if there was really a reason). Same deal with track spikes if anyone is taking them.

(And no they can't buy marijuana at the airport

Last edited by Bonehead; Mar 7, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
I got the GA to endorse the tickets to Frontier to get out of there that night.
You what?? When was this?

F9 doesn't have any interline ticketing agreements with anybody. Unless this was years and years ago, before Frontier went ULCC, if UA put you on that flight, they paid the full walk-up price from F9. That would have been very generous of them but it's hard to believe it would happen today.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
You what?? When was this?

F9 doesn't have any interline ticketing agreements with anybody. Unless this was years and years ago, before Frontier went ULCC, if UA put you on that flight, they paid the full walk-up price from F9. That would have been very generous of them but it's hard to believe it would happen today.
yup, it was about 14 years ago. Haven’t done a connection through Denver since then. It was a different UA then.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr

yup, it was about 14 years ago. Haven’t done a connection through Denver since then. It was a different UA then.
Ah. Different F9 then too. UA doesn't like rebooking on other airlines for weather, but they will. But F9 would be a massive stretch because of the lack of an interline agreement. In 2003, I believe F9 was still a full-service carrier.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:56 pm

As the flight is in "May/June," don't you have time to change the tickets so everybody else arrives in Denver the night before?

I do love the comments about not looking at phones while walking -- hadn't thought about that as slowing people down!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.