Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

42m connection at DEN, but there's 15 of us

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

42m connection at DEN, but there's 15 of us

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
I do love the comments about not looking at phones while walking -- hadn't thought about that as slowing people down!
Seriously? This is the number one reason I wish there was a vaporizing gun. I wouldn’t want them to suffer, but get out of my way. Not only are they slow, they’re unaware of the world around them and veer wildly from side to side.
cruisr likes this.

Last edited by milepig; Mar 7, 2018 at 8:40 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
One thing I'd comment on that hasn't been addressed here so far: DEN is a mile up.

Having done the DEN dash from one end of Terminal B to the other (with and without family including a septuagenarian) and assuming that the group is more accustomed to sea level atmospheric oxygenation, be advised that potential for shortness of breath as well as lightheadedness after doing the dash is high.

And, no, that does not include inhaling any products of THC combustion

David
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
How did this work out?>
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
At least 15% will have to use the loo immediately upon deplaning, the closest loo will be crowded. The first to arrive at the gate should stumble and fall between the concourse door and the plane. That way the flight is sure to depart late enough to allow the stragglers to catch up
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If you do end up misconnecting and have trouble finding enough space to Billings, you can always fly to Jackson, WY or Bozeman (both of which are actually closer to Yellowstone) then rendezvous with other group members later on.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
One thing I'd comment on that hasn't been addressed here so far: DEN is a mile up.

Having done the DEN dash from one end of Terminal B to the other (with and without family including a septuagenarian) and assuming that the group is more accustomed to sea level atmospheric oxygenation, be advised that potential for shortness of breath as well as lightheadedness after doing the dash is high.

And, no, that does not include inhaling any products of THC combustion

David
They’re connecting. Odds of scoring some THC are low.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by milepig
They’re connecting. Odds of scoring some THC are low.
I got that they are connecting.

I was just pointing out that they will be high in DEN (altitude) without having to acquire THC source material to get 'high' given the mad dash they'll have to execute to make their connection.

David
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:56 pm

Some really great advice on this thread!

I wouldn't worry too much. Usually a 40 minute connection at DEN is doable if you walk fast, even if your gates are a long way apart. If they are close, you'll also have time for a washroom break. If you try to make changes to the reservation to accommodate the possibility of a misconnect you'll probably end up either inconveniencing your entire group and/or adding significantly to the cost. An easy solution might also be to re-book your ground transportation at BIL to align with the later flight. If you're on time you can just spend a few hours in the bar, and if you're late then you won't have any significant disruption.

At a certain point, these are just the risks of travel. We've all done it. Booking a risky connection is just that, a risk. Expect it to work out, but plan for if it doesn't. Even in a worst case scenario, your group gets split up and half of you make it to BIL and the other half are stuck in DEN for a while you'll all survive and you'll be ok. You might also come out of it with a few United travel certificates, and you'll have a great meal at Smashburger (hopefully the new on in terminal B is open by then).
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by acmys
Heading to Yellowstone in May/June.
It is quite possible that you will have a schedule change between now and then. I would get in the habit of checking the itinerary on Saturday for the next few weeks.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by wcj1
It is quite possible that you will have a schedule change between now and then. I would get in the habit of checking the itinerary on Saturday for the next few weeks.
But don't freak out if things are missing / weird on Saturday, such as seat assignments, the aircraft changing to like a propeller jet, economy listing a meal as the food option, etc etc.
Just take a breathe and check on Sunday when IT systems are back to normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.