Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Traveling with Golf Bags on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA - Sports equipment: Golf
United accepts one item of golf equipment per customer as checked baggage.

An item of golf equipment consists of:
  • One golf bag containing 1 set of golf clubs
  • Golf balls
  • One pair of golf shoes
All items must be properly encased in a suitable container. The golf bag must be covered or enclosed in a heavy, rigid carrying case. United is not liable for damage to golf equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for golf equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case.

First or second checked bag service charges may apply.Golfing bags measuring over 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + H + W) that contain golf equipment will not be subject to any applicable oversize checked baggage service charges. Overweight baggage charges are applicable. Golf bags that do not contain golfing equipment will be subject to any applicable oversize and overweight checked baggage service charges.

Note: All customers, including MileagePlus® Premier® members, who check a golf bag may experience a delay in receiving their bag at the baggage claim due to the manner in which oversized items and sports equipment are required to be loaded, unloaded and delivered to baggage claim.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Traveling with Golf Bags on United

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Tblack15
You really are saying: "Just because it doesn't say I can't do it.. I am able to do it."

Sooo putting non-golf stuff in golf bags isn't not forbidden. Got it.
This argument is asinine!

If United intended the policy to be totally restrictive, they would have written it as such. Even though you're convinced of your understanding of the policy, my view is that it is sufficiently ambiguous to support an alternative rationale... that's all.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Sixt Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Exec. Elite, Marriott Silver, Avis President's
Just last week a friend told me she had the same statement given to her by UA in Newark several times as she's flown. I guess I've been lucky, I always put at least two pair of shoes, jackets, some wide brim hats and a rain suit in, and during return often some dirty clothes. Never once been told it's a problem, and never had my clubs not show up. Only once was I ever told anything, by a TSA guy in our small airport who lectured me because my towels and shoes had triggered his detectors, phosphates in the fertilizer from the course was his explanation. His "instruction" to wash my towels and shoes prior to packing them was met with a polite "of course!" and a smile, and dutifully forgotten.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EWR764
Nothing there reads like a prohibition on extraneous items in sporting equipment bags.
Yes it does. They use the term "consists of", they don't say "includes". "Consists of" means those items and nothing else.

If United intended the policy to be totally restrictive, they would have written it as such.
They did, very clearly.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:40 pm
wmz

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I always pad my skis with clothes, and I always get the TSA slip of paper saying my baggage was inspected. Never any issues.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
To summarize, putting extraneous things in your golf bag is like speeding on the highway.

It's technically against the rules, but as long as you keep it within 7 mph (1 polo/towel, etc.) you're fine. Plus, everyone else is doing it!

Some will/could debate that it's not against UA's policy, and that's fine. I can see what you're saying. Here's my one question to those believing this:

When asked by a gate agent if anything else is in your golf case, would you fib and say "just clubs"? Or would you say exactly what you have in there?

If you "fib", then you agree that it's technically against the rules.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:37 am

The issue the OP raised, before we got off into the weeds, is that a United agent cited to an imaginary TSA regulation that prohibits non-golf items packed in a golf travel case.

No such rule exists. It is complete, 100% nonsense.

To summarize, putting extraneous things in your golf bag is like speeding on the highway.

It's technically against the rules, but as long as you keep it within 7 mph (1 polo/towel, etc.) you're fine. Plus, everyone else is doing it!
No, it's not... talk about a false equivalency! State highway regulations explicitly promulgate speed limits on public roadways, and traveling above the posted speed limit is expressly punishable by fine or otherwise. There's really no analogy there.

On the other hand, yes, my golf bag typically does consist of one (1) golf bag, golf shoes, and balls... along with rain gear, perhaps a bottle or two of whiskey, maybe some cigars, a lighter, and other items as conditions warrant. If asked about what I packed in my travel bag by a United agent, I most certainly would have no objection to disclosing everything contained therein, as all items can lawfully be there for carriage as checked baggage aboard a commercial airliner in the United States. No question about it, and there is nothing to hide.

As a matter of policy, United has not prohibited the carriage of anything but clubs, balls and shoes in golf travel bags. I maintain that if United wanted to, it would have used more restrictive language in the same manner United forbids packing spare lithium batteries, hoverboards, or perishables in styrofoam containers. None of those items are subject to a regulatory prohibition... United has simply made a business decision not to carry certain items and uses restrictive language like "will not accept" or "must not contain". The application here more clearly serves to define the term 'golf equipment' rather than establish a prohibition on a particular manner of packing. Bag weight limits and "heavy" tags are primarily to warn ground agents about particular items which are more likely to cause injury while lifting or carrying in an effort to reduce the incidence of on-the-job injury. I suspect same is a motivation here as well.

Of course, this is simply a matter of interpretation of an inarticulately drafted policy. People certainly can read further restrictions into it than the policy offers on its face. In the meantime, it is perhaps as insignificant of an issue relative to air travel that can possibly be discussed!

Last edited by EWR764; Feb 12, 2016 at 10:45 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
EWR764, you miss a very basic point.

Of course one can stuff whatever they want (unless expressly prohibited) into a golf bag and check it in.

But if they do such, then under the clear language of the rule, it is no longer a "golf bag" and now just oversized luggage and subject to such charges,

The purpose of the rule is clear. A "normal" golf bag does not get charged as oversized. But they do not want somebody to take advantage of this by loading such with a ton of extra crap.

The rule is obviously not intended to stop the stray pair of golf socks and a shirt left in the bag. But the language does clearly preclude such (again, unless you want to pay for it).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I stuff my snowboarding bag with clothes every time, never had any issues. This would be a HUGE inconvenience for me
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by teeceedee
I stuff my snowboarding bag with clothes every time, never had any issues. This would be a HUGE inconvenience for me
On the contrary, I've tried to pack a wetsuit with a surfboard, and because it bulged out, I was stopped by Australian Customs on arrival in SYD. They had even brought out the drill to the inspection area .
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Of course, this is simply a matter of interpretation of an inarticulately drafted policy. People certainly can read further restrictions into it than the policy offers on its face. In the meantime, it is perhaps as insignificant of an issue relative to air travel that can possibly be discussed!
And yet it continues! We all agree it's not a TSA policy, the agent was either misinformed or just passing the buck. The question at hand now is "Is it a United policy?" Which I believe still falls under the Thread title of: "Any truth to this?: "Your golf clubs won't travel if clothes are also packed"". If we're OT and "the question has been answered" then Mods can close this out. If not..

You didn't answer the question I posted-

If you had a golf bag filled with one set of clubs, etc., PLUS a bunch of other stuff and you were asked.. would you lie? Or just tell them exactly what was in it.

Most posters have stated that they do and/or PLAN to lie in this situation (I agree it's a white lie & I'VE DONE IT!).Which would mean they believe their additional items are not allowed in the bag per the policy. Most posters also agree that this policy is in place to protect oversize & additional checked luggage revenue.

I think your interpretation of rules/policies are a little different than mine. Bottom line for me: Rules that say what you CAN do mean anything not listed you CANNOT do. Rules that say what you CANNOT do mean everything you CAN do.

Good talk.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM+, SPG Plat
I've routinely checked softsided golf bags with baby items, beach chairs and umbrellas, household items and assorted other things - except golf clubs. As long as the dimensions fall into the 115" parameter, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:32 pm

When asked by a gate agent if anything else is in your golf case, would you fib and say "just clubs"?
You're lugging a golf case all the way to the gate for a gate agent to see?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
EWR764, you miss a very basic point.

Of course one can stuff whatever they want (unless expressly prohibited) into a golf bag and check it in.

But if they do such, then under the clear language of the rule, it is no longer a "golf bag" and now just oversized luggage and subject to such charges,

The purpose of the rule is clear. A "normal" golf bag does not get charged as oversized. But they do not want somebody to take advantage of this by loading such with a ton of extra crap.

The rule is obviously not intended to stop the stray pair of golf socks and a shirt left in the bag. But the language does clearly preclude such (again, unless you want to pay for it).
HOLY CRAP I feel like a dunce! Apologies for my posts, as I clearly missed the very last sentence of the policy.

This makes sense, and would not be the first time a most basic point defied me! The point being, there is no express prohibition on non-golf items being packed in a golf travel bag, but it disqualifies that bag from any exceptions for sporting goods. I get it now...

And yet it continues! We all agree it's not a TSA policy, the agent was either misinformed or just passing the buck. The question at hand now is "Is it a United policy?" Which I believe still falls under the Thread title of: "Any truth to this?: "Your golf clubs won't travel if clothes are also packed"". If we're OT and "the question has been answered" then Mods can close this out. If not..

You didn't answer the question I posted-

If you had a golf bag filled with one set of clubs, etc., PLUS a bunch of other stuff and you were asked.. would you lie? Or just tell them exactly what was in it.

Most posters have stated that they do and/or PLAN to lie in this situation (I agree it's a white lie & I'VE DONE IT!).Which would mean they believe their additional items are not allowed in the bag per the policy. Most posters also agree that this policy is in place to protect oversize & additional checked luggage revenue.

I think your interpretation of rules/policies are a little different than mine. Bottom line for me: Rules that say what you CAN do mean anything not listed you CANNOT do. Rules that say what you CANNOT do mean everything you CAN do.

Good talk.
We can probably dispense with the condescension... it appears we both are missing the point, and so the hypothetical 'white lie' scenario you raise really has no bearing, as it calls into question objective criteria (oversize bag rules).

United will obviously accept golf bags packed with other items, but to the extent the bag exceeds the applicable LxWxH and weight parameters, additional charges will apply.

Again, packing other things isn't against the rules per se, but essentially turns your golf travel bag into a giant suitcase with no other special privileges.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:03 pm

The point being, there is no express prohibition on non-golf items being packed in a golf travel bag, but it disqualifies that bag from any exceptions for sporting goods.
Packing non-golf items in a golf case does not necessarily disqualify that bag from United's exceptions for sporting equipment. Golf cases are often used to transport equipment for some other sports. Some of those sports appear in UA's sporting equipment exception list.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA GS; AA CK; DL Silver Medallion, SPG Plat (Lifetime); Mariott Rwds Plat; Hertz Plat
I've heard similar when I've checked skis. But in reality I throw in boots, jackets, helmets and dirty clothes on the way back. Never had a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.