FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated: Traveling with Golf Bags on United (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1897432-consolidated-traveling-golf-bags-united.html)

robyng Aug 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Yes - we would check one bag. FWIW - a carry on wouldn't make much sense on UA because - when we go to/near the west coast - our first flight is usually on a small Embraer - and we'd have to "gate check" the bag. OTOH - I realize that wouldn't cost us anything.

So it looks like it would cost us 100 bucks just to take 2 golf bags back and forth. Would make sense on a decent golf vacation - but not if we only planned to play one day (and I'm a 9 hole golfer to boot).

Guess for some average size guys - might make sense to rent clubs instead of paying the baggage fees (I'm a short woman who uses "petite" size clubs - no chance of finding a rental set that would suit me). And there's always the risk of baggage loss. If UA can lose Rory McIlroy's clubs - no reason it can't lose mine :D:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/rory...ost-irish-open

Robyn

zeus2120 Feb 11, 2016 7:12 am

Any truth to this?: "Your golf clubs won't travel if clothes are also packed"

This morning I had yet another unpleasant experience with a United ticket counter agent. I was checking in golf clubs and asked "Just clubs, balls, and shoes in there?" I responded yeah and some golf clothes - two shirts and two shorts. She immediately proceeds to tell me that I need to remove the clothes for the bag to fly! She said TSA WILL NOT allow the bag to go on the airplane. I said thank you for letting me know, I will make sure not to do that again. She then "gives me the opportunity" to remove the clothes and put them in my backpack. I politely decline (my backpack is full) and she says "don't be surprised when you land with no bag." I said I have no other option but thank you. This is the FIRST time I've ever heard of this or been ridiculed for it. I take my clubs to Hawaii 2-3x a year and always pack clothes / towels around my clubs to keep them better protected. Is the agent completely off base here or was there a rule change as I'd love to know for the future? I'm hoping that my bag does end up making it!

domzals1 Feb 11, 2016 7:21 am

I've been packing my clubs with towels multiple times per year since 9/11 and have never ever been told this or had an issue with clubs getting to Arizona. I would venture a guess that you just caught a misinformed agent.

Billiken Feb 11, 2016 7:29 am

Ship Those Clubs

Originally Posted by domzals1 (Post 26167623)
I've been packing my clubs with towels multiple times per year since 9/11 and have never ever been told this or had an issue with clubs getting to Arizona. I would venture a guess that you just caught a misinformed agent.

Same here/agree
I always have shoes in the bag and dirty laundry on the return.

Maybe TSA (deleted by mod) are afraid the contents will fall out...

However, over the last 10 years I have nearly always shipped my clubs, usually via FedEx ground. When using FedEx you can lock the container and they deliver it to your location (home on the return).

Downside is that you have to take the clubs to a FedEx (staffed) drop off location (but you'd be dragging them to the airport too...).

FWIW, the last time I shipped my clubs (hard-shell container) it was from Park City back to CLE. Insured for $1800 and the fee was $33.
YMMV

Tblack15 Feb 11, 2016 7:29 am

I've actually packed my golf club hardshell case with Christmas gifts in the past.. Which IS against the rules.

I found a TSA flyer in the bag, so TSA obviously DID let it fly without golf clubs at all!

YMMV as always.

BlueZebra Feb 11, 2016 7:34 am

We go to Hawaii at least once a year, with my clubs. Sometimes we do carry on, with some additional items in the checked clubs. Clothes, tolietries, towels, etc, have gone in the golf bag, no problem. This is from SFO.

Probably 90% of the time my golf bag gets searched going over, but it goes every time. Gets searched about 50% coming home. So perhaps other items in the bag attract attention, but the bag still goes.

I have used both hard and soft golf club cases. UA keeps buying me new bags, as they keep damaging them!

PTahCha Feb 11, 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Tblack15 (Post 26167679)
I've actually packed my golf club hardshell case with Christmas gifts in the past.. Which IS against the rules.

I found a TSA flyer in the bag, so TSA obviously DID let it fly without golf clubs at all!

YMMV as always.

Why are gifts against the rules? The only risk is they may need to open the boxes and ruin the gift wrap. As long as you are not checking any prohibited items (say, flammable liquid), it doesn't matter what content you put inside the club case.

EWR764 Feb 11, 2016 7:42 am

100% false. Complete nonsense. I would just nod politely and go about my business.

Madone59 Feb 11, 2016 7:43 am

I always pack extra clothes in my golf bag - especially on the way home - and have never had a problem.

zeus2120 Feb 11, 2016 7:55 am

It was just frustrating because she put me on the spot of "take your clothes out or expect your bag not to fly". United has come such a long way with the onboard service -- to me it's usually outstanding. Flight attendants are smiling, happy, making playful conversation -- just making the trip pleasant. But the ticket counter / gate agents are just lacking lightyears behind in my opinion. Especially the ticket counter agents in Cleveland, who clearly are so senior that they could care less about any level of service. Too bad they laid off hundreds of young outgoing employees and kept the ones that don't project a friendly image. Of course, I do not speak of all agents in this regard. I have had quite a few good ones. Just seems like when you see 55+ years of age agents it's best to just avoid them!

PushingTin Feb 11, 2016 8:09 am

Is there some kind of advantage of having a heavier bag being a golf bag- is there a waiver or different weight surcharge? I could see people trying to stuff a golf bag if per pound it's cheaper or something- or if it allows you to skip an extra bag.

I'd get a manager over for a clarification. I'd also have watched the bag go into the black hole to make sure the agent didn't do something to make her right.

Cledaybuck Feb 11, 2016 8:24 am

Originally Posted by zeus2120 (Post 26167576)
This morning I had yet another unpleasant experience with a United ticket counter agent. I was checking in golf clubs and asked "Just clubs, balls, and shoes in there?" I responded yeah and some golf clothes - two shirts and two shorts. She immediately proceeds to tell me that I need to remove the clothes for the bag to fly! She said TSA WILL NOT allow the bag to go on the airplane. I said thank you for letting me know, I will make sure not to do that again. She then "gives me the opportunity" to remove the clothes and put them in my backpack. I politely decline (my backpack is full) and she says "don't be surprised when you land with no bag." I said I have no other option but thank you. This is the FIRST time I've ever heard of this or been ridiculed for it. I take my clubs to Hawaii 2-3x a year and always pack clothes / towels around my clubs to keep them better protected. Is the agent completely off base here or was there a rule change as I'd love to know for the future? I'm hoping that my bag does end up making it!

I'm guessing this has nothing to do with the TSA and is just an agent enforcing United's policy and blaming on the TSA. Here is United's policy:

"United accepts one item of golf equipment per customer as checked baggage.

An item of golf equipment consists of:
One golf bag containing 1 set of golf clubs
Golf balls
One pair of golf shoes

All items must be properly encased in a suitable container. The golf bag must be covered or enclosed in a heavy, rigid carrying case.

United is not liable for damage to golf equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for golf equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case.

First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Golfing equipment containers measuring over 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + H + W) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate golf equipment will be subject to an oversize checked baggage service charge"

I believe this policy is pretty standard across most airlines (some may even state a specific number of balls), but I have never had anyone bother me or even ask about anything else in the case. The most I have had to do is sign a wavier because my case wasn't hard sided.

Silver Fox Feb 11, 2016 8:47 am

Nice attitude they displayed as well. TSA actually allow you to carry-on two clubs now as well so I doubt they are going to worry about the odd pair of shorts or polos.

mahasamatman Feb 11, 2016 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 26167951)
I'm guessing this has nothing to do with the TSA and is just an agent enforcing United's policy and blaming on the TSA.

Exactly. I don't know if agents are trained to cry "security" for everything, or if they learn it elsewhere, but it's really beyond ridiculous.

Tblack15 Feb 11, 2016 9:13 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 26167732)
Why are gifts against the rules? The only risk is they may need to open the boxes and ruin the gift wrap. As long as you are not checking any prohibited items (say, flammable liquid), it doesn't matter what content you put inside the club case.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/sports.aspx

#rules