Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ranting woman says she's God & tries to open cabin door on UA5449,SFO-BOI, 5 Mar 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ranting woman says she's God & tries to open cabin door on UA5449,SFO-BOI, 5 Mar 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flight-...ay-2018-03-05/

WASHINGTON -- Passengers onboard United Express Flight 5449 restrained a Boise, Idaho, woman who was ranting about being God. Video posted online purportedly shows a passenger working to tie up the woman's feet as another man holds her down in the aisle.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2018 at 7:02 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:20 pm

First there was the passenger that was spreading feces all over the plane...now this. I know I am going to incriminate myself (and all of you as well) but; what type of customer base is United attracting?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC
All kidding aside. If plane at flight level those doors can't be opened right?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bhunt
If plane at flight level those doors can't be opened right?
There's generally too much of a pressure differential to overcome.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2018 at 7:09 pm Reason: removed a response to deleted post
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bhunt
All kidding aside. If plane at flight level those doors can't be opened right?
it would be almost impossible for a single individual to open a pressurized door mid-flight. The effective pressure would easily exceed 1000 lbs per square foot or more.

http://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/exits/
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by mrswirl; Mar 5, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There's generally too much of a pressure differential to overcome.
I should know this from high school and college physics but have forgotten! Since the pressure is greater in the cabin than outside the plane, wouldn't opening the cabin doors that open OUTWARDS be easy, while trying to open the cabin doors (especially the wing exits) that open INWARDS would not be possible? On some/many planes, the main doors open outwards, and it's only the window exits that open inwards.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2018 at 7:08 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
On some/many planes, the main doors open outwards, and it's only the window exits that open inwards.
All Cabin doors and overwing exits initially open inward on ALL modern pressurized commercial aircraft. This is in addition to mechanical locking mechanisms and alarms.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by dzstokes
First there was the passenger that was spreading feces all over the plane...now this. I know I am going to incriminate myself (and all of you as well) but; what type of customer base is United attracting?
Could this be the ugly side of BE?
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by mrswirl
All Cabin doors and overwing exits initially open inward on ALL modern pressurized commercial aircraft. This is in addition to mechanical locking mechanisms and alarms.
Thanks for the clarification -- had not looked that closely at the doors during the deplaning process. Is this also true for the regional jets, including those with a ladder/steps built into the door?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:05 pm

Thanks for the clarification -- had not looked that closely at the doors during the deplaning process. Is this also true for the regional jets, including those with a ladder/steps built into the door?
The doors open inwards first before swinging outwards.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:08 pm

Yes the pressure differential is what seats the door against the aircraft body.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:14 pm

only exception are some cargo doors where the inward hinge would impede loading. Otherwise they are all plug type doors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_door
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:52 pm

I was probably thinking of people getting sucked out of blown-out windows, including a pilot on a BA flight in 1990 who was able to cling to the nose cone while the copilot landed the craft!
June 10, 1990: Miracle of BA Flight 5390 as captain is sucked out of the cockpit ? and survives - BT

But, from the passenger's viewpoint, here's a woman who was sucked out a door, mid-flight -- albeit on a corporate plane, a DeHavilland Twin Otter which obviously didn't have the plug-type doors.
Woman Sucked Out of Airplane - ABC News
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

only exception are some cargo doors where the inward hinge would impede loading. Otherwise they are all plug type doors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_door
I think in 1989 there was an incident near Honolulu on a 747 where the cargo door opened (as cargo doors do outwards), did damage to the side of the plane and people were sucked out.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by dzstokes
Ah, me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.