Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 4741 (SGF-DEN) Diverted to ICT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

United 4741 (SGF-DEN) Diverted to ICT

There has been talk about the down-gauging of SDF-DEN from mainline to ERJ-145's and how they have had to make fuel stops short of DEN in the past. It apparently is happening now because #4624 has been diverted to ICT with a "general emergency."

There are strong west to east headwinds across the Great Plains today so I'm guessing the diversion is due to a fuel shortage. Anyone have better information?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by KansasMike
There has been talk about the down-gauging of SDF-DEN from mainline to ERJ-145's and how they have had to make fuel stops short of DEN in the past. It apparently is happening now because #4624 has been diverted to ICT with a "general emergency."

There are strong west to east headwinds across the Great Plains today so I'm guessing the diversion is due to a fuel shortage. Anyone have better information?
An emergency would likely have only been declared if they were at or near min fuel at the time. I have never heard of an emergency being declared for a simple unplanned fuel stop. I further would question why an emergency would be necessary.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Can you maybe check your flight numbers and stuff?
Are you refering to SDF or SGF?
Also, Flight 4624 doesn't leave til 8pm tonight.

Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

I was referring to SDF. That was the info I received from the emergency people -- which is why I posted trying to get more info.

Yes, you are correct that 4624 is from SGF to DEN at 8pm tonight.

If anyone has more info, I'd be happy to receive it.

Addition: Confirmed the flight originated in SGF.

Last edited by KansasMike; Mar 5, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not see any SDF-DEN diversion for UA or other airlines for Monday, 5 March 2018 (on united.com or flightaware) -- do you have a flight number or any other verifiable information?

UA 4766 arrived 17 minutes early

UA 4741 SGF-DEN has diverted to ICT after overflying -- looks like unplanned incident requiring immediate attention
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...515Z/KSGF/KICT

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:22 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
SDF - DEN was flight 4766 which made it to DEN earlier this morning 17 min early. SGF - DEN is 4741 which did divert to ICT. Current winds at DEN are 270 32g52kt. It has been that way most of the morning. I woke up to howling winds shaking my house. Winds aloft have been near 80-100 kts blowing west to east at altitude from the noaa website. It's been a fun moring already at DEN.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:26 pm

i think you guys are looking for 05-4741, which diverted to ICT because of code DO which is 'system control'
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
FAA is reporting
Due to WEATHER / WIND, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Denver International Airport, Denver, CO (DEN). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 55 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Reading between the lines, I'd guess they didn't have the fuel to wait out the holding to arrive DEN given the ATC constraints due to winds.

Code:
N MSO/LX AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
D FCF/DVRT  ICT ENRT SGF-DEN A/OPERATIONS
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It wouldn't necessarily be the TMP that caused the diversion, but if they had passed ICT and gotten hold information from ZDV they may have decided it best to divert to ICT instead of continuing into the hold.

All of this considered, I still see absolutely no reason a fuel issue that did not have them at min-fuel at this point would merit a 7700 squawk nor an emergency declaration. I am still of the opinion that there must have been something else going on (mx or pax related) to cause the emergency to be declared.

edit to clarify my view - if a plane is not near min-fuel (as this one should not have been at this point in the flight), it is not an emergency to divert for fuel. It is a standard landing, and does not merit the priority handling, worry, and emergency standby that a squawk 7700 or declaration of emergency would cause.
KansasMike likes this.

Last edited by chermorg; Mar 5, 2018 at 5:13 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Flew in and out of DEN yesterday. Flight in we were blowing sideways pretty good in A320. Flight out was mod bumpy till flight level in E175.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.