Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA82 (EWR-DEL) Medical emergency diversion to LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA82 (EWR-DEL) Medical emergency diversion to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by chermorg
That will depend on the flight path of the day, the seriousness of the emergency, the time, resources available at airports and hospitals, and many other factors. I highly doubt United would have diverted if there was not a good chance of survival.

That being said, I am curious as to how the crew times out. A medical diversion shouldn't take more than an hour and to my knowledge the crew should have easily had an hour butter built in.
I have rendered care on flights many times, and there is never a question about diverting should the need exist. On one particular IAD-DXB (I miss this one) flight, there was a pax in obvious pain and we were just over Nova Scotia. My assessment was that we could keep the passenger comfortable, and through collaboration between the pilot, ground medical control, and a few of us on the plane, we were able to continue all the way to DXB. I learned after the flight that the pilot had mapped out all potential diversion locations and that the crew would indeed have timed out had we landed somewhere. It would have taken more than an hour to sort out parking, removing the patient, paperwork, refueling (if necessary), etc. and that (as best as I understood it) the total time involved would have caused the crew to time out.
Xyzzy, Pat89339 and sharmaintl like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home

so when is this Union BS finally over?
It’s not “union BS.”

The flight attendants agreed to a joint contract and merged seniority list quite some time ago (at least a year, IIRC). However, the FAs were on separate scheduling/work management systems that, supposedly, can’t handle the combined list (at least, not without major modifications), so UA has been working on installing a new system which is required before they can actually merge the two groups together and implement the new contract.
featheroleather likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Keep in mind - plane was 43 minutes late departing gate at EWR.) Shows 9:20 duration for diversion and currently another 7 hrs from LHR to final destination so not sure of regulations of timeout but looking at easily 18 hrs not including ground delay in LHR.Makes sense crew timeout.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by meducate
I have rendered care on flights many times, and there is never a question about diverting should the need exist. On one particular IAD-DXB (I miss this one) flight
Did you have the opportunity to talk directly to the MedLink doctors through the sat-phone on the 777? I'd be interesting in hearing your impressions on the service and resources they were able to provide.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Did you have the opportunity to talk directly to the MedLink doctors through the sat-phone on the 777? I'd be interesting in hearing your impressions on the service and resources they were able to provide.
I believe I was patched through to MedLink through the cockpit radio. They were very professional and asked good questions about what I observed and what I thought the best course of action would be. Once we agreed on a plan, they stayed online while I administered some medications and made the patient comfortable. We agreed on my decision that the patient could continue on the flight. Excellent interaction.
Pat89339 and Bensky13 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I believe I was patched through to MedLink through the cockpit radio. They were very professional and asked good questions about what I observed and what I thought the best course of action would be. Once we agreed on a plan, they stayed online while I administered some medications and made the patient comfortable. We agreed on my decision that the patient could continue on the flight. Excellent interaction.
Thanks. My impression has been that they are very good at what they do but I've always wanted to hear what a doctor's impression would be.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by airsurfer
These more or less outdated planes are not in use anymore for premium carriers like UA, but rather some 3rd world airlines or holiday charters.
I believe that United is still flying about 51 of these 767s, some of which are not that old.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
With international diversions you do have visa issues for some passengers if the flight will not be able to continue. Landing in Schengen vs. not might have been a factor in going to LHR instead of Frankfurt or Brussels or another Star Alliance hub where UA flies to.
There are rather more scheduled flights to DEL from LHR than from other *A hubs in Europe, so it would be easier to re-accommodate.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I missed what the actual emergency was? I can't think it was that pressing, or else they would have landed somewhere in Norway. So serious enough not to go on, but not serious enough to put it down right now?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
I have rendered care on flights many times, and there is never a question about diverting should the need exist. On one particular IAD-DXB (I miss this one) flight, there was a pax in obvious pain and we were just over Nova Scotia. My assessment was that we could keep the passenger comfortable, and through collaboration between the pilot, ground medical control, and a few of us on the plane, we were able to continue all the way to DXB. I learned after the flight that the pilot had mapped out all potential diversion locations and that the crew would indeed have timed out had we landed somewhere. It would have taken more than an hour to sort out parking, removing the patient, paperwork, refueling (if necessary), etc. and that (as best as I understood it) the total time involved would have caused the crew to time out.
First of all, thank you. I make it a point to thank the crew and the medical professional on any flight I am on with pax with medical issues. I am sure it is scary for everyone. I have been on at least a dozen flights over my lifetime with medical emergencies and almost every flight we had some medical professional step up and assist. In one case it was a Navy medic who looked like he was still in High school... I have been diverted twice to offload the passenger. The most disruptive was landing at LHR on a VIE-IAD flight. (No crew time out).

Secondly, I really miss the IAD-DXB UA flight too. It was a great route to connect to West and South Asia.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by featheroleather

...not exactly....there is no metal restriction for pilots, meaning they can fly either subs equipment type, while the fa’s still can only fly their subs metal, ie lhr based Sua fa’s couldn’t replace the sCO stews in this particular incident... supposedly we’ll be merged in Oct.
Trust me flight deck FAR 117 requirements are tight on EWR-India flights. In fact the slightest delay of a EWR-India flt often results in the later EWR-TLV flight crew getting reassigned to it. A fresh cross certified cabin crew in LHR will do nothing to stop the flight deck limitations.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by cv11nyc

Trust me flight deck FAR 117 requirements are tight on EWR-India flights. In fact the slightest delay of a EWR-India flt often results in the later EWR-TLV flight crew getting reassigned to it. A fresh cross certified cabin crew in LHR will do nothing to stop the flight deck limitations.
I think the claim earlier up the thread was that it was speculated that United could find a fresh flight crew in London, and a sUA cabin crew too, but not a sCO cabin crew.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
A diversion would also require more fuel.

I was once on a HNL - SFO 747 that had backed away from the gate when there was a medical emergency that caused a return to the gate. The delay was extended because the captain asked to top off the fuel. It took time to get the fuel ordered, and for the truck to arrive and top off the tanks.

Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
A diversion would also require more fuel.

I was once on a HNL - SFO 747 that had backed away from the gate when there was a medical emergency that caused a return to the gate. The delay was extended because the captain asked to top off the fuel. It took time to get the fuel ordered, and for the truck to arrive and top off the tanks.

How much fuel is burned off just backing off?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
so when is this Union BS finally over?
That Evil Union managed to trick the Noble and Pure Management into signing yet another terrible contract, huh? Is there no end to how devious The Unions are?!

Admittedly, American unions are idiots that're stuck 50 years behind the times. But still: it takes two to tango (so badly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.