Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 5 March 2018 per Chicago Tribune (and confirmed by internal employee memo
United walks back new bonus lottery system that angered employees
United Airlines on Monday reversed plans to begin awarding bonuses through a lottery system that angered employees.

Scott Kirby, president of the Chicago-based airline, said United was “pressing the pause button” on changes that would have handed out larger bonuses to only a fraction of its workers after hearing employees’ feedback since announcing the changes late last week.

Per Chicago Business Journal, 2 March 2018
​​​​​​​United Airlines employees shocked: Bonuses replaced with lottery

United Airlines President Scott Kirby sent shock waves through the employee ranks at the Chicago-based airline today.

Kirby issued an employee memo in which he announced that the Chicago-based airline is dropping the quarterly performance bonuses the carrier had been giving out to all employees qualified to receive them.

Kirby said in the memo, obtained by the Chicago Business Journal, that the bonus payouts are being replaced with a new program called "core4 Score Rewards," which Kirby said would include quarterly prizes like cash ranging from $2,000 to $40,000, luxury cars, vacation packages, and a grand of prize of $100,000 awarded to one eligible employee per quarter.
Print Wikipost

UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
It appears Scott Kirby hates customers and employees.
I thought Kirby was liked internally at UA because he was a 'plane guy'.

What a disaster. He needs to go. I can't think a single good thing that has happened to UA (not counting new route announcements) since he joined.
Kacee and claaaaaydavis like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Well hollywood loves sequels....are we staring down the barrell of SFH2 or 3? can't keep count.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
If front line employees are impacted by this change and they really don’t like it, guess what will happen: they’ll make sure the metrics are sabotaged. On time departures, etc. will slip. A clear message will be delivered that the staus quo ante should be reinstated. I fear the memo will be taken as a declaration of war.
iluv2fly and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
If front line employees are impacted by this change and they really don’t like it, guess what will happen: they’ll make sure the metrics are sabotaged. On time departures, etc. will slip. A clear message will be delivered that the staus quo ante should be reinstated.
I’m having flashbacks of US/HP merger when the employees DID sabotage everything to show their displeasure of the management. Also, remember “Above and Beyond” certificate that was.. a lottery (I know, different use, but similar concept).
ContinentalFan and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Almost makes me wish for SMI/J back. What are they thinking?? I remember the smiles when Oscar was appointed. All gone.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: All the programs!
HAHA Scott Kirby is such a fool!
Hey Kirby, is yours and other execs bonuses tied to a lottery?

Someone needs to get Kirby out.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even Jeff didn't try this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by oopl
Someone needs to get Kirby out.
Oscar, too. He brought this disaster upon the airline.

Originally Posted by fezzington
As for the striking suggestion, most workgroups just signed a new contract so it’s probably off the table for most groups.
Strikes are never off the table. If profit sharing was part of the contract, it's already been broken.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Where can I purchase my "no core4" button? Should be good for better cs or a shena (to borrow from the DL forum) upgrade.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:56 pm

Poor front line employees who do their best most of the time all of a sudden lose bonuses they earn for a lottery while the company has money to buy more unnecessary management like "President of California".
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I'm sure executives' bonuses are exempt. I'm sure stock options are still in place.

I am sure UA employees are pissed. What a disincentive.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:58 pm

Today is Employee Appreciation Day too...
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Maybe a hybrid program would've been a better option than this.

Last edited by SPLITTERZ; Mar 2, 2018 at 6:17 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:12 pm

Um.... what? I'm all about change but this sounds like a bad idea.

I wonder if it's cheaper to do this than to give everyone bonuses.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Where can I purchase my "no core4" button?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.