Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 5 March 2018 per Chicago Tribune (and confirmed by internal employee memo
United walks back new bonus lottery system that angered employees
United Airlines on Monday reversed plans to begin awarding bonuses through a lottery system that angered employees.

Scott Kirby, president of the Chicago-based airline, said United was “pressing the pause button” on changes that would have handed out larger bonuses to only a fraction of its workers after hearing employees’ feedback since announcing the changes late last week.

Per Chicago Business Journal, 2 March 2018
​​​​​​​United Airlines employees shocked: Bonuses replaced with lottery

United Airlines President Scott Kirby sent shock waves through the employee ranks at the Chicago-based airline today.

Kirby issued an employee memo in which he announced that the Chicago-based airline is dropping the quarterly performance bonuses the carrier had been giving out to all employees qualified to receive them.

Kirby said in the memo, obtained by the Chicago Business Journal, that the bonus payouts are being replaced with a new program called "core4 Score Rewards," which Kirby said would include quarterly prizes like cash ranging from $2,000 to $40,000, luxury cars, vacation packages, and a grand of prize of $100,000 awarded to one eligible employee per quarter.
Print Wikipost

UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Exactly. I really don't understand why people on here are upset. They are just another company. If the employees don't like what they get then move to another company. I could careless about United's employees comp plan--it's of total irrelevance to me. Do I check out the bonus plans of Toro Mfg when I buy a lawnmower? When I buy a pair of Levi's should I be concerned if Tom Smith got his quarterly bonus? Of course not. What a bunch of silly responses on here.
{H}ow many Toro or Levi's employees do you deal with on a regular basis? The majority of the people on this board deal with UA employees regularly (once or twice a week for some, once or twice a year for others, but still, regularly). It is much better for me, personally, if UA employees enjoy their jobs; happy workers provide better service.
KathyWdrf, KevAZ and jlemon like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2018 at 4:41 pm Reason: discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by keitherson
Is management delusional?

And the prizes for the raffles, a Mercedes C class car? What's a person making $12/hour going to do with a brand new Mercedes?
Sell it and pocket the cash. That is what happens with many raffles when it is a high dollar item.

I was involved with youth group that raffled off cars for several years. Half the winners kept the car & half sold them for the $$$.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:09 pm

It seems that Kirby has not made himself available to public whenever PR disaster hits. It was the same at HP/US. Let’s take a couple of well publicized UA PR fiascos during his tenure, Dao and Jackson-Lee. I haven’t heard a peep from him, save for this internal memo (actually had to google)
KevAZ likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: None anymore
Wow... Glad I don't work for UA.
KevAZ likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: MP
This is saving the company approx 18mil a qtr. When we make all 3 metrics we get $350 X 85,000 emp =29mil & change....new program will only award a total of 4.5mil per qtr & only 1361 employees will win something. Everyone else gets the shaft
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by bballdad175
Employee satisfaction and how the company treats their employees is highly correlated to a "good business."

Pissed off employees don;'t tend to handle irritated customers well either.
Originally Posted by 1984SW
The UA employee intranet page announcing the "change you will like" announcement for the lottery was hit with 900 (so far...) negative comments from employees. They were addressed (so they think) by a three-part reply by:

Anthony Scattone
VP Total Rewards

There is a Vice President position: "VP Total Rewards"???
it's now over 1200
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Kirby has to go but the Board wants him to stay given that deal worked out when Munoz was recovering from his heart attack. Talk about a slap in the face to employees. Basically, work hard, go above and beyond for the *CHANCE* to get some benefit. Absolutely crazy.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:36 pm

Make United Great Again

Posted on change.org
https://www.change.org/p/oscar-munoz...share_petition

Dear United Management Team:

First of all, thank you for all that you do. While we appreciate your work, we have some concerns. Some of my colleagues and I are feeling some frustration recently, after the recent (and quite frankly egregious) alteration to our quarterly on-time bonus program and everything leading up to it.

First we signed a contract and they didn't offer retro pay or a signing bonus. Shortly after signing our contract, they announced the hiring of Scott Kirby and gave him a generous signing bonus, and bragged about how wonderful it is to have him on board. We rolled our eyes a little, but kept doing our jobs with a smile.

Next we were introduced to the "quick turn", and we got reprimanded for complying with Scott's fantastic new speedy-boarding ideal, and boarded the plane in 22 minutes, beating the 35 minute mark. But we still had a "documented conversation", because that wasn't good enough. It's not the weather's fault. It's the frontline worker's fault that the plane pushed late. Nevermind the fact that we could barely board the plane when there were bar carts and cleaners and bags of garbage blocking our way. We still did our jobs. And we did our jobs quickly. And we still smiled.

After that, they implemented a "point system" that restricted our flexibility with sick calls. We still do our jobs.
(And for that matter, we probably do our jobs when we aren't feeling great, because we can't afford to accrue points. And now, we need to not be sick in order to be eligible for the new awards program. This is disconcerting. Flu season is in full force and we do see colleagues coming to work sick already, when they should be at home in bed.)

We watched our industry friends at Jet Blue, Southwest, American, Alaska, and Virgin America get $1000 tax cut bonuses. When we questioned why we too can't have them we were told "United already had a tax break". Oh yeah? So did American. Why did *they*get the bonus? Because they care about their employees? That's why. Novel idea.

Then we saw a low profit-sharing percentage, which made us feel precisely like Clark Griswald felt when awarded the jelly of the month club membership. We made quadruple that amount 3 years ago in profit sharing. But we still keep coming to work and doing our jobs.

We are watching them strip amenities domestically, dispose of our galley and our workspace on the 757, remove lavatories, and add seats, creating more passengers and less room to move. But we still do our service with a smile and a friendly way about us. Internationally we received a memo stating that staffing would be reduced to match our competitors. We have been working off of two different contracts for well over a year and it is not only confusing, but inevitably frustrating not knowing what has and has not yet been implemented. On the legacy-CO side of the contract, we are working without duty rigs that our colleagues receive. Also, if we are not at top-out pay, on the co-side, we receive our raises a month behind our colleagues with the same seniority. (We get ours the date we came online; they get theirs the date they started training.)

We watched an optional program "bonus bucks" become a mandatory program. We now announce and pedal card membership through the aisle. And we do it with a smile. The cheapened domestic plane has never felt so cheap, as we push this credit card on unsuspecting customers, who really don't want to be bothered.

Last, they took away our quarterly incentive bonuses, and changed it to a deplorable new system that only rewards an elite few. (No surprise, since they are good at only awarding an "elite few"- aka the upper management, and not the entire population of frontline workers.)

Above all, we are still grateful to have jobs, and we still somehow manage to squeak by with this company. We do a thankless job. We cheerfully greet our customers, without so much as a response. We assist a nervous flyer who has never stepped foot on a plane before. We hold the hand of an unaccompanied minor, deplaning to meet his estranged family. We cry with the "Make a Wish Foundation" children, eagerly flying to MCO to fulfill their dreams. We walk an elderly couple to their next gate.......yet, our paychecks are wrong lately, and we wait for months, we go through red-tape, we are handed off to multiple departments, sent on a wild goose chase, to find out where our missing money is.

For many of us, caring for customers is innate. We back up the company, we learn and we promote and we follow United's values. We do what we can to appease the management and do our jobs adequately (and beyond). Most of us have a background in customer service. We come from caring professions. Nurses, counselors, teachers, and even clergy. We do what they want us to do. We stand behind United. It is disappointing and quite frankly, downright disgusting that our caring for the company is not reciprocal.

Thank you very much for taking our concerns seriously and for reading this letter.

Sincerely,

United Airlines Flight Attendants

Writen by Laurie Vesalo, the voice behind all who have signed.

Updates

1. Deleting Petition

I was told to take down this petition. Great job everyone but I’m sorry.
FlyingNone, KevAZ and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Great post, and you got all of United's Inflight group to sign on this? Great job!

It's not all doom and gloom like you make it seem.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The feeling I get is that Kriby looked at some of the few customer-friendly and employee-friendly stuff that got implemented the last few years and said "This is not how you run an airline. We have to cut cut cut (and also eventually get rid of Oscar so I can take over)." I guess as long as the short-term numbers work, he is here to stay and make us miserable again.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: All the programs!
I would sign that petition if it was still up.
Shame shame shame on Scott Kirby and Oscar Munoz.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username
The feeling I get is that Kriby looked at some of the few customer-friendly and employee-friendly stuff that got implemented the last few years and said "This is not how you run an airline. We have to cut cut cut (and also eventually get rid of Oscar so I can take over)." I guess as long as the short-term numbers work, he is here to stay and make us miserable again.
There is an adage embraced in some of the world's C suites that unless employees are complaining, you've left too much on the table. Happy employees = wasted resources, in this misguided worldview.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by enviroian
Exactly. I really don't understand why people on here are upset. They are just another company. If the employees don't like what they get then move to another company. I could careless about United's employees comp plan--it's of total irrelevance to me. Do I check out the bonus plans of Toro Mfg when I buy a lawnmower? When I buy a pair of Levi's should I be concerned if Tom Smith got his quarterly bonus? Of course not. What a bunch of silly responses on here.
I'm generally not spending much time with Tom at the Levis plant or Bob at the Toro plant.

I spend an inordinate amount of time with United employees providing me service and giving me special service from time to time. Unhappy employees don't generally provide the best service.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
There is an adage embraced in some of the world's C suites that unless employees are complaining, you've left too much on the table. Happy employees = wasted resources, in this misguided worldview.
Sadly, I think they also do this with customers.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I thought Kirby was liked internally at UA because he was a 'plane guy'.

What a disaster. He needs to go. I can't think a single good thing that has happened to UA (not counting new route announcements) since he joined.
---------------
Over 1200 comments on the employee website, 99.9% really ticked off. Flashbacks of Smisek.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.