Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 5 March 2018 per Chicago Tribune (and confirmed by internal employee memo
United walks back new bonus lottery system that angered employees
United Airlines on Monday reversed plans to begin awarding bonuses through a lottery system that angered employees.

Scott Kirby, president of the Chicago-based airline, said United was “pressing the pause button” on changes that would have handed out larger bonuses to only a fraction of its workers after hearing employees’ feedback since announcing the changes late last week.

Per Chicago Business Journal, 2 March 2018
​​​​​​​United Airlines employees shocked: Bonuses replaced with lottery

United Airlines President Scott Kirby sent shock waves through the employee ranks at the Chicago-based airline today.

Kirby issued an employee memo in which he announced that the Chicago-based airline is dropping the quarterly performance bonuses the carrier had been giving out to all employees qualified to receive them.

Kirby said in the memo, obtained by the Chicago Business Journal, that the bonus payouts are being replaced with a new program called "core4 Score Rewards," which Kirby said would include quarterly prizes like cash ranging from $2,000 to $40,000, luxury cars, vacation packages, and a grand of prize of $100,000 awarded to one eligible employee per quarter.
Print Wikipost

UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
One thing that is different here though to my personal experiences and perhaps a sign of the toxicity of United as a company is (1) that employees immediately took their outrage public and (2) the rampant ultra-negativity vs leadership which is indicative of very low trust and bad labor relations. It seems like employees at UA are willing to use the public's negative view of United and thus the media's willingness to do negative stories on United as a way of blackmailing leadership into doing as they wish.
That's not new. One can trace that back to Summer from Hell 2000, if not earlier. The range of management/employee relations over time and over U.S. carriers is absolutely horrid to not so bad. United and Northwest spent a lot of time on the left of that spectrum. Count the strike authorization votes, the strikes, the pseudo strikes, and the union decertification votes of the last 30 years.

The behavior isn't self-defeating at a personal level: senior craft employees have jobs (and pilots and FAs the routes of their choice) so long as United remains in business.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I salut AA for masterminding Scott Kirby’s move to UA.

Well played AA by getting rid of an “out of touch” JxxK and also destroying your competitor’s employee morales at the same time.

Well played AA!
iluv2fly and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't think management believed that for a second. This was about cutting the costs of the bonus program, and then pitching the change as an "enhancement."
Sound familiar?
I was in an oddly "Glass half full" moment. My apologies.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I salut AA for masterminding Scott Kirby’s move to UA.

Well played AA by getting rid of an “out of touch” JxxK and also destroying your competitor’s employee morales at the same time.

Well played AA!
Could it be a Manchurian candidate strategy? If so, I think the trigger word is "Bonus".
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by zymm
I would be really interested to see employee turnover rates for different positions compared across all US airlines. You don't spring something this obviously bad on employees unless you really don't care if they stick around.
Well you just end up with all the employees the other airlines don't want.

This is just one of those moves that in no way can be seen in a positive manner. It just screams desperation for short term profits. Just about any employee at United should be able to conclude this will just piss off long term employees and make people leave.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Well you just end up with all the employees the other airlines don't want.

This is just one of those moves that in no way can be seen in a positive manner. It just screams desperation for short term profits. Just about any employee at United should be able to conclude this will just piss off long term employees and make people leave.
They would have been better off to get rid of the one proven loser that has been introduced in the last year .... basic economy.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I posted this on the compassion training thread but it is relevant for this thread too. Treat employees like adults and they will behave like adults. Treat them like misbehaving children and that is what you will get. Give them a Russian Roulette incentive plan and that is the behaviour you will achieve.

Seriously, where did the Senior leadership team get their training on incentives for employees to achieve desired outcomes? And where is the HR department in this debacle? Or is it the Human Remains department - can't hold a job elsewhere in the organization so put them in HR?

Dreadful way to treat your employees.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I would be really interested to see employee turnover rates for different positions compared across all US airlines. You don't spring something this obviously bad on employees unless you really don't care if they stick around.
Despite award program devaluations, shrinking leg room, and the whole basic economy thing, I stick with the legacy carriers because they're the most likely to be able to fix a problem and get me back on route to my planned destination better than the LCCs. A big part of this is experienced gate agents and phone agents that do indeed stay around long enough to figure out how to finesse balky computer systems so that this consumer faces minimal disruption. Those people are so key in bringing profits into the system, and employee churn is going to impact the bottom line- you don't want the race to the bottom of 'well if we aren't good anymore, at least we got cheap in order to sell tickets'
jjmoore and zymm like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by gernabae
I really despise the D:0 metric.
A:15 is a much better performance metric that can encompass good tactical decision-making both on the ground and in the air.
The unions should purposefully ignore D:0. Maybe depart 1 minute after. Let's see what Kirby says to that.

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Several years ago, United had a program where customers were given slips of paper which were filled out and given to employees in recognition of good service, above and beyond.
I support this kind of drawing.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Seriously, where did the Senior leadership team get their training on incentives for employees to achieve desired outcomes? And where is the HR department in this debacle? Or is it the Human Remains department - can't hold a job elsewhere in the organization so put them in HR?

Dreadful way to treat your employees.
HR reports to management. Enough said.

Last edited by oopl; Mar 7, 2018 at 4:05 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Oscar sent a letter backing Kirby on this.

So is their balance sheet poor and they're looking to cut costs or just a money grab for the execs. at the expense of the rank and file?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Considering UAL had $3.8 billion in cash and equivalents at December 31, I think this is more about poor decision making rather than liquidity constraints.

Originally Posted by wco81
Oscar sent a letter backing Kirby on this.

So is their balance sheet poor and they're looking to cut costs or just a money grab for the execs. at the expense of the rank and file?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Originally Posted by bballdad175
This sort of mismanagement is what is making me decide to move to a different carrier for my business. Yes the big three (or four) are basically all the same, but United is going downhill faster than Delta. I dont like that Delta only gets 4 upgrades per year on international, but Uniteds management just really has no clue what the employees and customers want.
Hmm...my flights used to be 85% Delta/15% Southwest and now are 85% United/15% Southwest and I’ll definitely say that UA FAs are in a much worse mood than EITHER at Delta or at SWA, indicating to me that there is something United does wrong. I do wish they would fix it...

...but...

...having more GUCs and a decent upgrade chance trumps a smiley FA on Monday morning, so not regretting my decision to switch (yet)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
It seems they're going to do 'listening sessions' before switching to something new next quarter. I'll be interested to see how this turns out
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: All the programs!
It seems they're going to do 'listening sessions' before switching to something new next quarter. I'll be interested to see how this turns out
It'll likely end with "We hear you but we're implementing this change anyways."
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
It was called "Going the Extra Mile", which FTers consolidated as "GTEM" .

There was a report that GS members got some type of similar chits in their annual packet this year, but didn't sound like a fully-formed program like before.
It was a great program, for both customers and staff....so doubt it will come back.
I got said chits
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.