FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA to introduce new vodka onboard, summer 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1896504-ua-introduce-new-vodka-onboard-summer-2018-a.html)

fezzington Mar 1, 18 8:13 pm

UA to introduce new vodka onboard, summer 2018
 
"Starting this summer, we will begin offering Wheatley Vodka as our exclusive vodka brand on flights worldwide. Wheatley Vodka is a craft distilled vodka created by the same makers as the award winning Buffalo Trace bourbon." -- via a friend of mine in communications.

No public announcement yet, nor transition date.

zitsky Mar 1, 18 8:24 pm

I'd rather have vodka from people that make, umm, vodka?

HoyaSFOIAD Mar 1, 18 8:25 pm

Why. Just, why?? Tito’s is perfect!!

PsiFighter37 Mar 1, 18 8:31 pm

On Distiller.com, Wheatley has a 90 rating, whereas Tito's only has an 80. I do like Tito's in cocktails, though.

764toHI Mar 1, 18 8:53 pm

Tito's is great and will be missed. We should all be grateful UA is not switching to Georgi vodka :D

zitsky Mar 1, 18 9:03 pm

Do they have the supplies to make a vodka martini, including olives?

jm0933 Mar 1, 18 9:06 pm

I take this as an encouraging sign that they aren't considering "enhancing" their liquor selection by eliminating Buffalo Trace in the near future.

Seems like this should be better than Tito's anyway, although I don't profess to be a vodka expert.

riphamilton Mar 1, 18 9:34 pm

i was expecting dubra, majorska or popov (ahhh.... high school days). i'm pleasantly surprised.

total wine retails a handle of tito's at $30, whereas wheatley is $24.

if wheatley is distributed in my neck of the woods, i'll give it a shot for national moscow mule day this saturday.

EWR764 Mar 1, 18 10:43 pm

I'm not much of a vodka drinker... I haven't tried Wheatley but I'm willing to give it a go. At least it's not bargain-basement stuff.

JUST DON'T TOUCH THE SCOTCH... please, United, leave well enough alone here!

notquiteaff Mar 1, 18 10:43 pm


Originally Posted by jm0933 (Post 29475288)
Seems like this should be better than Tito's anyway, although I don't profess to be a vodka expert.

I am not a vodka expert either, but I listened to an excerpt today of Marketplace Money about Vodka that mentioned that Vodka as a matter of law (regulation?) has to be

"‘neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color."

(Title 27, Section 5.22 of the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Code)

I think this is the episode; I queued the full podcast for future enjoyment. For now I will assume that United is replacing one non-distinctive liquid with another one. And I'll take shelter awaiting the flaming from resident Vodka aficionados (again, remember, I am not a vodka expert/drinker) :)

atword Mar 1, 18 11:06 pm


Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 29475143)
"Starting this summer, we will begin offering Wheatley Vodka as our exclusive vodka brand on flights worldwide. Wheatley Vodka is a craft distilled vodka created by the same makers as the award winning Buffalo Trace bourbon." -- via a friend of mine in communications.

No public announcement yet, nor transition date.

Well, that blows. Tito’s is gluten free. Wheatley is not.

HoyaSFOIAD Mar 1, 18 11:12 pm


Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 29475474)
I am not a vodka expert either, but I listened to an excerpt today of Marketplace Money about Vodka that mentioned that Vodka as a matter of law (regulation?) has to be

"‘neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color."

(Title 27, Section 5.22 of the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Code)

I think this is the episode; I queued the full podcast for future enjoyment. For now I will assume that United is replacing one non-distinctive liquid with another one. And I'll take shelter awaiting the flaming from resident Vodka aficionados (again, remember, I am not a vodka expert/drinker) :)

Flame! Flame! Flame! ;)

Zorak Mar 1, 18 11:35 pm


Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 29475474)
For now I will assume that United is replacing one non-distinctive liquid with another one. And I'll take shelter awaiting the flaming from resident Vodka aficionados (again, remember, I am not a vodka expert/drinker) :)

Having spent a lot of time at places like the vodka bar at Red Square at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, I can tell you there definitely exist differences between various vodkas.

However, having spent a lot of time at places like the vodka bar at Red Square at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, I'm not sure I could coherently explain what any of the differences are :D :o

ual744777sta Mar 1, 18 11:47 pm

Announcement here.


Craft Distilled Vodka Boarding This Summer

Beginning this summer, United is excited to serve Wheatley Vodka, an award-winning handcrafted vodka made from the same master distiller who produces Buffalo Trace, the popular bourbon the airline currently serves onboard. Buffalo Trace Distillery, considered the world's most award-winning distillery, uses the same wheat to produce Wheatley Vodka as is used to produce legendary bourbons such as Pappy Van Winkle and Weller.

Vodka is the number one-selling spirit served on United flights. Wheatley Vodka will be available for purchase in the economy cabin on flights where a beverage service is offered. Customers flying in United's premium cabins may enjoy the spirit at no cost.


SFHokie Mar 2, 18 12:52 am

I don't care what they do to the vodka, just don't get rid of the Bailey's ... coffee needs it in the morning, and so do I after a trans-(con, pac, atl) flight!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:48 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.