FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA to introduce Wheatley's vodka onboard, summer 2018 & now Tito's back May 2023 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1896504-ua-introduce-wheatleys-vodka-onboard-summer-2018-now-titos-back-may-2023-a.html)

fezzington May 30, 2018 5:59 pm

It's a soft cutover, so Titos will still be onboard until supplies deplete.

DetroitFlyer May 30, 2018 6:53 pm

I won't knock it until I try it. Maybe it's really good!

Halo117 May 30, 2018 10:37 pm

And no Tomato Juice in the June edition of Hemispheres. Before anyone defends this as a delay due to the final edits in print prior to the reversal, I flew several flights these past two weeks and not one can loaded. Along with the omission in the June Magazine, What does this say about how UA was quick to remove a product and slow to add it back versus the approach of burn-down inventory of product and reversed course with little consumer viewed disruption?

UAPremierGuy May 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Like DetroitFlyer, I won't knock it until I try it, but Tito's is going to be tough to beat, IMHO.

exerda May 30, 2018 10:44 pm

Interesting given Tito's was the Texas product... Maybe Buffalo Trace is giving them a good rate to carry both vodka and whiskey.

DetroitFlyer May 31, 2018 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Halo117 (Post 29811700)
And no Tomato Juice in the June edition of Hemispheres. Before anyone defends this as a delay due to the final edits in print prior to the reversal, I flew several flights these past two weeks and not one can loaded. Along with the omission in the June Magazine, What does this say about how UA was quick to remove a product and slow to add it back versus the approach of burn-down inventory of product and reversed course with little consumer viewed disruption?

I disagree strongly that "UA was quick to remove tomato juice."

It was likely in planning for far longer than either the announcement or when it was actually removed. Supply chains in catering have months of lead time sometimes for certain things. It is virtually impossible to make a quick decision to either remove or add a product within days or even a couple weeks.

greggarious May 31, 2018 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 29475589)
Having spent a lot of time at places like the vodka bar at Red Square at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, I can tell you there definitely exist differences between various vodkas.

However, having spent a lot of time at places like the vodka bar at Red Square at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, I'm not sure I could coherently explain what any of the differences are :D :o

so if i'm ordering a vodka martini, what do you recommend for a mid range spirit? (not rotgut but not paying out the butt for something that by definition is tasteless)

zitsky May 31, 2018 9:57 am

Originally Posted by greggarious (Post 29813413)
so if i'm ordering a vodka martini, what do you recommend for a mid range spirit? (not rotgut but not paying out the butt for something that by definition is tasteless)

I don't suppose United carries vermouth, do they?

AlohafromKOA May 31, 2018 3:26 pm

First Courvoisier now Tito's...SMH

Agreed that Tito's is the GF vodka of choice. One good vodka that anyone can drink.
Likewise, Cognac is fortified wine.
Come on, UA. This is just not fair.

BeanTownBoy May 31, 2018 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 29475143)
"Starting this summer, we will begin offering Wheatley Vodka as our exclusive vodka brand on flights worldwide. Wheatley Vodka is a craft distilled vodka created by the same makers as the award winning Buffalo Trace bourbon." -- via a friend of mine in communications.

No public announcement yet, nor transition date.

Going to drink all the Tito's I can onboard until then, starting in about 1 hour!

LASUA1K Jun 5, 2018 3:59 pm

Had the new vodka today on a skywest flight, I had to ask the FA what vodka it was.

Much much better than Tito’s!! Good job for whoever found this gem of a vodka! I had Tito’s on last nights flight and Wheatley today.

Such a smoother vodka!

narvik Jun 5, 2018 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer (Post 29811178)
I won't knock it until I try it. Maybe it's really good!

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 29833061)
Much much better than Tito’s!! Good job for whoever found this gem of a vodka!

I was also wondering if some weren't jumping the gun in this thread, and prematurely bashing Wheatley before even trying it.

threeoh Jun 5, 2018 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 29811717)
Interesting given Tito's was the Texas product... Maybe Buffalo Trace is giving them a good rate to carry both vodka and whiskey.

Do airlines have some federal exemption from the three-tier system?

JAaronT May 20, 2023 3:44 pm

Not sure where to post this but Tito's is back, co-existing peacefully with Wheatley, but with a $1 premium.

AirbusFan2B May 20, 2023 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29833102)
Do airlines have some federal exemption from the three-tier system?

I don’t believe so. My belief is a distributor is selling it to United.