FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA to introduce Wheatley's vodka onboard, summer 2018 & now Tito's back May 2023 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1896504-ua-introduce-wheatleys-vodka-onboard-summer-2018-now-titos-back-may-2023-a.html)

PHLGovFlyer Mar 3, 2018 8:28 am

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 29480229)
I would be curious if these things actually show up in blind taste tests. Because for instance "sugar vodka tastes a little sweet" is the kind of thing people would tend to say if they know the vodka is made that way.

The way I came to all of my conclusions was through blind taste tests. I conduct these routinely with my wife when we try a new vodka. I'll pour two (or more) identical glasses with different vodkas and my wife will taste them blind. Then she'll randomize the glasses and I'll taste them blind. She's much better at distinguishing flavors and aromas than I am (she has the nose that knows).

Now that I've read about Wheatley I'm going to purchase a bottle today and taste it blind tonight with my wife and some friends (who are also vodka lovers). We'll taste the Wheatley against Platinum and Grey Goose (I'm all out of potato vodka, but I might fix that at the store while I'm at it...).

mh3265a Mar 3, 2018 5:17 pm

Looks like this part of a broader revamp of the on board menu. They don't say they're dropping Tito's though. Given that this is a craft cocktail I bet they keep Tito's stock and only stock a VERY limited number of the new vodka like they used to do with Buffalo Trace

FreFly Mar 3, 2018 9:38 pm

As someone who does not like Titos, I am looking forward to tasting Wheatley.

Bruin1K Mar 3, 2018 9:59 pm

Whaaaat!!? Tito' s is gluten free. Don't change it!

danielonn Mar 4, 2018 12:07 pm

I am a Belvedere Vodka fan(:

zitsky Mar 4, 2018 12:46 pm

I Absolut-ly care about my vodka. But cheap is fine.

fezzington Mar 4, 2018 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a (Post 29482090)
Looks like this part of a broader revamp of the on board menu. They don't say they're dropping Tito's though. Given that this is a craft cocktail I bet they keep Tito's stock and only stock a VERY limited number of the new vodka like they used to do with Buffalo Trace

From the OP:
"...offering Wheatley Vodka as our exclusive vodka brand..."

That sounds like titos is out to me, but maybe it can be interpreted differently.

mh3265a Mar 4, 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 29485026)
From the OP:
"...offering Wheatley Vodka as our exclusive vodka brand..."

That sounds like titos is out to me, but maybe it can be interpreted differently.

My bad. I missed that part of the text. I guess it will be the only vodka on board. C'est la vie Titos!

ecoomer Mar 4, 2018 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jm0933 (Post 29475288)
I take this as an encouraging sign that they aren't considering "enhancing" their liquor selection by eliminating Buffalo Trace in the near future.

Seems like this should be better than Tito's anyway, although I don't profess to be a vodka expert.

Don't count your chickens (buffaloes). I was told about 2 weeks ago by a flight attendant that buff trace was on the way out...
"Oh, you got the last one, we're phasing it out soon"
ymmv
e

ecoomer Mar 4, 2018 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by greggarious (Post 29478754)
As long as it's not Russian, I'm good with it

You mean like Imperia or Beluga? Or even the rusky standard? All superior vodkas to titos...

sure if you're talking popov or smirnoff... russians actually know their vodka better than most...

mh3265a Mar 5, 2018 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ecoomer (Post 29485141)
Don't count your chickens (buffaloes). I was told about 2 weeks ago by a flight attendant that buff trace was on the way out...
"Oh, you got the last one, we're phasing it out soon"
ymmv
e

I often find FAs not very knowledgeable about the liquor they have on board. I suspect they were mistaken. I don't know why United would dump Buffalo Trace when they are expanding that contract to get the vodka that this distiller is creating.

greggarious Mar 5, 2018 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by ecoomer (Post 29485160)
You mean like Imperia or Beluga? Or even the rusky standard? All superior vodkas to titos...

sure if you're talking popov or smirnoff... russians actually know their vodka better than most...

Don't care how good it is, boycotting :)

SAT Lawyer Mar 5, 2018 8:18 pm

Tito’s is my vodka of choice. Disappointed to see it go.

luke5111 Mar 6, 2018 12:04 am

Originally Posted by QBK (Post 29479194)
  1. Finally, what puts me over the edge here is "...as is used to produce legendary bourbons such as Pappy Van Winkle and Weller." Seriously? I mean, I like the Weller line. I have a bottle of Special Reserve downstairs as I write this. Shoot, if I wasn't about to crack open a new bottle of Maker's 46, I'd go pour myself a splash of Weller as soon as I finished this rant! But... a bottle of Weller runs about $21.99. It's the best $20 bourbon you can buy (AFAIK), and to be fair it is wheated (like Pappy), but... a bottle of Pappy will run you roughly $2,000-3,000 on the secondary market right now. This is like saying "Ford Motor company, maker of famous automobiles like the GT and the Fiesta."

I only heard about Pappy's recently, i believe it was a WSJ article that mentioned it. So, then I'm at Christmas with my daughter and her BF and she didn't want us buying Christmas gifts for him as he'd feel obliged to reciprocate. Found ourselves at a bar on Christmas eve that had various Pappys so I ordered him the 15 year?? I think, and his eyes just lit up. He'd never had a chance to try it before but he was thrilled with it. I then did the research and found that the retail is fairly significant but I bought for $60 for a two ounce pour that just delighted him. Felt bad about taking a sip of it but next time I'll get him one of the even older ones. Best Christmas gift I could have got this guy, he was thrilled with it. Slightly off topic but so is much of this conversation.

globetraveler May 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Tito’s is officially out. Wheatley Vodka is in.

In-flight now and according to the June edition of Hemisphere’s Magazine- Wheatley to replace Tito’s officially in June. Wheatley is part of the Buffalo Trace distillery group. Sad to see Tito’s go!