Language censorship IFE

Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:40 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Agree. I just have to stop a movie if there is any dialog censorship - completely ruins the experience.

What I dont get is how some movies are/were NOT censored and others were. Is this a new thing? Cause I think Ive seen *some* movies without any dialog censorship on united in the past.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: UA GS

Originally Posted by N104UA
I had to turn it off after about 20 minutes as they dubbed in 'fudge' too much. I understand if a movie says F@#k once it twice and UA censors it out but in a movie like 3 Billboards, either just put a warning at the beginning of don't show it (And they do have a warning).
​​​
Also- I believe Woody Harrelson is contractually to swear 50 times in each movie.
Ive watched a lot of IFE and just watched three billboards and cannot ever recall such censorship in the past. The weird part is it had an explicit warning on the front that there was profanity and adult situations and that I should be aware of my surroundings before watching. It totally changed the movie and was poorly done.

For example, they had replaced the 4 letter c-word with cook. Eg stop being such a cook!!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does that extend to telling me what I can and cannot watch on my own personal device if you find it offensive? I support any effort made to treat adults as adults who can deal with salty language and seeing boobs and such - I thought the puritan era was over, what, about 400 years ago? Other people should be focused on their own entertainment, not on my screen.

Should I be told to stop watching a Star Wars movie because some religious soccer mom is afraid one of her precious blossom children might see my screen? Where does it end?
The only restriction UA has in Hemispheres is that it has to have an R rating or less, which can contain tons of nudity. Although if an FA asks me to change it I would and complain later.
​​​​​
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:38 am

Watched Die Hard on IFE recently — all profanity censored. Turned out to be a surprisingly gentle experience ...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I always watch "Curb" and "Veep" on my international flights. The language used is filthy - totally uncensored. ^
Love when new episodes of "Veep" are avialble. I only have "over the air" at home, and love me some "Veep".

Originally Posted by mr8
Agree. I just have to stop a movie if there is any dialog censorship - completely ruins the experience.

What I dont get is how some movies are/were NOT censored and others were. Is this a new thing? Cause I think Ive seen *some* movies without any dialog censorship on united in the past.
Probably depends on which version their vendor is supplying. Movies may be edited versions, and TV original?

There are definitely different criteria out there. I was on an Intl carrier late-last-year, and noticed they actually censored some things on "Modern Family". I think it was Thai Airways flight.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:04 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
There are definitely different criteria out there. I was on an Intl carrier late-last-year, and noticed they actually censored some things on "Modern Family". I think it was Thai Airways flight.
Could be. I think someone posted that different planes get different content? Perhaps some aircraft IFEs get the uncensored versions? I think I remember watching whiplash in its full glory on some flight a few years ago.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by chermorg
Wow, I have never seen people take so much offense to the removal of words found obscene, offensive, or vulgar by many from a video entertainment system that is available to all on board with little to no supervision. If it bothers you that much, maybe instead of relying on United to provide you entertainment you should provide your own entertainment, at your own cost. The adage of "given an inch, try to take a mile" seems to come into play here - United provides a decently large selection of both PDE and seat-back entertainment (on all but DirecTV birds) and people are complaining that it's censored so it's (for the most part) family friendly?
Um, it's actually the stupidity of hearing a character say something like "you can go and fudge yourself". Nobody has ever actually used those words - in a film it turns the whole thing into a third-rate comedy.

You're going to be so easily offended by profanity? Then you should provide your own entertainment at your own cost. The lowest common denominator of "family friendly" is a crock.
Loren Pechtel, st530 and N104UA like this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
The first time I really noticed it was three billboards. Ive seen plenty of movies with vulgarities in UA, but three billboards was so over dubbed it was nearly unwatchable.
st530 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
The first time I really noticed it was three billboards. Ive seen plenty of movies with vulgarities in UA, but three billboards was so over dubbed it was nearly unwatchable.
+1
I just watched this exact film on a MEL>LAX a few days ago and after a few minutes I was like "what the fudge??"

I did end up watching the whole thing though. :-)
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: UA GS
Given several of us seem to have taken particular notice that Three Billboards was altered in such a way that we cannot recall seeing on UA before I wonder if they accidentally were given the wrong version of this particular movie.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chermorg
I can understand this, however the majority of the replies read to me as if people are complaining about audio censorship - not that there is little visual censorship. For the record I support any effort they take to ensure that their content is as minimally disturbing as possible.
Any effort? An airline could avoid the entire "problem" by ceasing to provide any IFE, including movies, TV, music, games, etc.
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Um, it's actually the stupidity of hearing a character say something like "you can go and fudge yourself". Nobody has ever actually used those words - in a film it turns the whole thing into a third-rate comedy.
Agreed. Why can't they simply bleep the words out instead of turning it into Kids Bop?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
+1

I watched "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" on UA to see what the fuss was about, exactly, and I admit, I can understand the OP's frustration.
Unless one experiences this first hand, it's hard to comprehend exactly how bad this was butchered. And as many have mentioned, it just seems odd that this one seems to be singled out for this particular severity of the butchery.
I'd almost venture to guess that censors have a threshold of, say, if 100 swear words/movie are exceeded, ALL instances must be dubbed into "acceptable words".
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
I watched "Grand Budapest Hotel" on a United flight, and they censored the scene where everyone stares at a nude painting. I thought they were staring at a blank canvas until we purchased the movie and saw the uncensored version.

Puts the scene into a whole different context.

On a separate note, I watched "Django Unchained" for the first time on an LH flight. Uncensored to the point of making me slightly uncomfortable watching that much violence on a plane.

Last edited by rflor; Mar 2, 2018 at 8:52 am Reason: minor edit
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Seems like a simple solution is to include a pop up before the movie starts "This movie contains graphic language, violence, etc, etc. Do you want to continue? Yes or no."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.