Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reliability of CPU / “Premier Upgrade Notification” e-mail

Old Feb 27, 18, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K

So in my past life at DL, I’d constantly get e-mails reminding me how generously DL had upgraded my seat (including confirming the C+ seat I chose at booking). When I status-matched to UA...no more e-mails. Until now when I got a “Premier Upgrade Notification” notifying me of a Y—>F bump on IAH to MCO Saturday.

so...is this new? Was I just omitted because of my status-challenge status?
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by gigglypug View Post
So in my past life at DL, I’d constantly get e-mails reminding me how generously DL had upgraded my seat (including confirming the C+ seat I chose at booking). When I status-matched to UA...no more e-mails. Until now when I got a “Premier Upgrade Notification” notifying me of a Y—>F bump on IAH to MCO Saturday.

The "elite upgrade notification" email is not new, but it is also not reliably sent, even to 'normal' Premier status passengers.
Dublin_rfk and flandery like this.
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
There is also the "Upgrade Status Update" email, which informs you that you have NOT been upgraded before T-24 and that you're now being moved onto the gate upgrade standby list. I get a lot more of those emails these days.
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by gigglypug View Post

For your IAH-MCO itinerary did you book via United or through a travel agency? I think it might depend on how you booked.
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
UA doesn't consider E+ an upgrade, and won't send an email confirming you picked a seat in E+.

UA will sometimes send emails about clearing the upgrade to F, it's a crapshoot.
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
There is also the "Upgrade Status Update" email, which informs you that you have NOT been upgraded before T-24 and that you're now being moved onto the gate upgrade standby list. I get a lot more of those emails these days.
This one ("upgrade status update") also sometimes (always?) confusingly shows only the first segment of the itinerary for which the upgrade was requested, which may have actually been upgraded.
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
To the point that when I got a "Premier Upgrade Notification" I confused it with the "Upgrade Status Update" that I usually get and it took me a long time to realize that I was upgraded.
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
To the point that when I got a "Premier Upgrade Notification" I confused it with the "Upgrade Status Update" that I usually get and it took me a long time to realize that I was upgraded.
I don't think UA really needs to send that 24 hour before departure email anymore. I've viewed my reservation for an uncleared waitlist within 24 hours, and it still shows I'm on the list even though I'm not showing on the actual upgrade list until I check in.
Old Feb 27, 18, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
I never get emails from United for CPU's. Only for RPU and GPU upgrades. I generally know if I have been CPU'd by an email from Concur (CWT) with a "something has changed on your itinerary" message. 99 times out of 100, I go to the UA site and see a segment has been upgraded....
Old Feb 27, 18, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
IME, the emails have been more consistent for CPUs for the last little while...maybe for the last 1-2 years. Prior to that, sometimes I got them, sometimes I didn't.

That said, the last year or so especially upgrades have been tough, especially in advance. Just dropped to silver this month. Was gold last year, but typically travel in a party of 3 (wife, was also gold, and toddler, no status). There was a huge change when we went to having 3 seats instead of 2, though that's pretty much in line with expectations. At silver, even typically traveling on more leisure routes and mostly non-peak times, I expect my days of upgrades are pretty much over.
Old Feb 27, 18, 10:14 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I never get emails from United for CPU's. Only for RPU and GPU upgrades.
Just the opposite for me, and for the past year, or so, I receive the e-mail almost instantly when I clear!
Old Feb 27, 18, 10:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
How long were you seated before you realized that you had been upgraded?
elbejt2 and flandery like this.

Last edited by transportprof; Feb 27, 18 at 11:19 pm
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
There is also the "Upgrade Status Update" email, which informs you that you have NOT been upgraded before T-24 and that you're now being moved onto the gate upgrade standby list.
And I still mis-read those to think I've been upgraded. DOH!
Old Feb 28, 18, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
How long were you seated before you realized that you had been upgraded?
LOL! The email was received 4 days before the flight, I opened it, read it but I was reading what I was expecting to read so it did not register that it was saying the total opposite. It was my wife that saw that I was upgraded when she was looking in my reservation.

That said, I did have two times when I realized I was upgraded to Polaris Business when the agent came on board to give me a new boarding pass. And, one of those times, it was totally unexpected as I did not have an upgrade instrument waitlisted.
Old Mar 1, 18, 1:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak
Originally Posted by ChiTownMuggle View Post
And I still mis-read those to think I've been upgraded. DOH!
Same. "United Airlines Upgrade Status Update for Confirmation" is dreadful syntax--you can't use a version of "confirmed" when the upgrade isn't.
drewguy and canadiancow like this.

Search this Thread