Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reliability of CPU / “Premier Upgrade Notification” e-mail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reliability of CPU / “Premier Upgrade Notification” e-mail

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I always receive the email when I clear from the invisible list and I made the reservation directly on united.com. Corporate bookings don't send them to my email.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
For bookings via UA.com, I & FS-Dad have not been receiving notification emails for about a month. I just happened to check my flight home on Saturday and saw it had cleared, though no email in my inbox or spam... Strange as they used to be pretty reliable.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Free agent; tend to fly DL and UA most
Same just happened to me for an SFO-SLC flight on Friday. Thought it might have been because I'm currently doing a status challenge, but after reading here it sounds like there's more to it perhaps. Email or no email, pretty jazzed about an upgrade ex-SFO as Gold! Wasn't counting on getting any.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
GS booked a 2 person ticket on United.com. His email was on the booking. I went in to add my email and KTN for myself.

I got the CPU emails. The GS did not.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Yes, I still receive them.
I just had two upgrades for different dates on the domestic legs of international flights and did not receive an email.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I haven't received emails the past few weeks. It roughly correlates to when United made changes to their upgrade system a few weeks back. I regularly check my reservations so not a huge issue for me. I never depend on UA IT to actually work, it is SHARES after all!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
GS booked a 2 person ticket on United.com. His email was on the booking. I went in to add my email and KTN for myself.

I got the CPU emails. The GS did not.
That's intriguing. I assume the CPU emails pertained to your upgrade (i.e. had your FF#) rather than his?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Over the past month, I've had several CPUs/GPUs clear without any email notification. Same goes for schedule changes. I had one schedule change that had me getting to my destination 24 hours later without any notification at all. I happened to notice it when reviewing my reservations on the website.

Meanwhile, UA has found a way to flood my inbox on the day of travel. I get flight reminders @ T-2 hr; then another email when my flight starts to board. One time, I even got one telling me what my connecting gate was and how long it takes to walk there. Unless there's a delay/IRROPS situation, I don't really find any of those to be all that useful.

I'd much rather get emails on changes to my reservation (especially those not initiated by me, like schedule changes or upgrades clearing), rather than a bunch of them essentially telling me that my flight is leaving on time.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

emails still exist (sometimes)

This is interesting. I stopped receiving CPU emails completely around the time others here reported it stopped. Recently I happened to discuss it with a couple other people. One person also has not received any emails, while the other has been receiving them uninterrupted and has one from just a few days ago. The recent email for this other person looks just like they used to look for me (plain text, same format).

So some people are getting the emails still, and the contents haven't changed.

Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is a new one:

High five, KACEE!
We've upgraded your seat on your flight from San Francisco, CA, US (SFO) to Phoenix, AZ, US (PHX) . . . . Your new seat is 1F.
We've included the rest of your flight information below. We look forward to seeing you!

Interestingly, while I've been consistently getting CPU upgrade notifications, two recent RPU upgrades I received nothing.

This is like my fourth or fifth award ticket CPU this year (and on a 320, no less), all on SFO-PHX (or vice-verse).
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I just did my standard “reservation babysitting” dance, and noticed that my GPU for LAX-LHR in October cleared. No email notification. Why is UA’s technology moving one step forward and two steps backwards?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS255
I just did my standard “reservation babysitting” dance, and noticed that my GPU for LAX-LHR in October cleared. No email notification. Why is UA’s technology moving one step forward and two steps backwards?
As a practical matter, email is an increasingly unreliable form of communication. The prevalence of spam, and then spam countermeasures, have created a situation where legitimate email often doesn't make it through.

I suspect that UA will add upgrade notifications to the app at some point, likely in the not-too-distant future. Those are much more reliable (but still not foolproof).
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by SS255
I would prefer to receive the upgrade and no notification than no upgrade and the notification that the upgrade was not successful and you have been added to the waitlist at the airport.

Agree it is annoying not to receive the email but between the two alternatives....
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I would prefer to receive the upgrade and no notification than no upgrade and the notification that the upgrade was not successful and you have been added to the waitlist at the airport.

Agree it is annoying not to receive the email but between the two alternatives....
I haven't been receiving either one of these types of email notifications lately, but yeah if I find out one of my GPUs cleared, I'm typically very happy, email or no email.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
As a practical matter, email is an increasingly unreliable form of communication. The prevalence of spam, and then spam countermeasures, have created a situation where legitimate email often doesn't make it through.
The fact that I get 100% CPU notification and 0% instrument upgrade notification suggests to me this is a UA IT problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.