Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My trivial gripe. What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
It's a Chinese lantern. In my opinion, it's United trying to be culturally diverse. During festivals, thousands of these go up at the same time.
And during Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai they actually suspend some of the night flights.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Stingy loading of Buffalo Trace. Annoying (but replicated with e.g. Woodford on Delta); really annoying when you are on a delay with the door still open and they claim the are already out. No one has the number for catering?
This X 1000. There were only two loaded on my flight from EWR to MSN last week. After the week I had, I could have used at least 4.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I’m enough of a FF to know it’s not UA but not enough of a sports fan to know what this same font UNITED is.

Hugo Boss campaign for World Cup with Harry Kane , Alvaro Morata, Julian Draxler and Philippe Coutinho -- different teams, different counties -- looks like "United" is being used to describe they are united in their use of Hugo Boss
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For the second time this year, 9L on the 77W has mysteriously changed to 9A when I check in. Not a huge deal - in fact, likely a better view coming into SFO, but I can't figure out why it happens. Last time out, my replacement in 9L didn't appear to be anyone special.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
My trivial gripe of the moment? UA doesn't enforce it when they tell people the flight is heavily booked, please put their additional items under the seat in front until boarding is complete then fill overhead space after regular carry-ons have been accommodated. Elderly privileged couple (but still BG2) on UA 676 IAH-DCA last night (10A/B if it matters) get on after me and literally fill 2 bins over them and me as they put up 2 rollaboards AND 2 large carry-ons, leaving their underseat space clear. Neither was particularly tall so it's not like they HAD to have the footspace but I felt bad for the passengers in 10C and row 8 who still had to find space for their rollaboards.
I know they weren't GS because one of the passengers in row 7 was acknowledged as GS when the FA came by for food orders but nothing was said to the couple. Wouldn't have taken a moment for an FA to tell the couple to please hold off filling the overhead with their additional carry-ons like that until the rows in proximity had been boarded.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:38 am

Some might consider this gripe slightly above the level of trivial but here goes:

Those bus dragons at EWR that insist on seeing your boarding pass and only letting you on the bus designated on your boarding pass. This is particularly annoying if you're trying to head to Terminal B (from A/C) to catch the LH/SK lounge action (especially when flying on a domestic itinerary) since it means you must exit security, head to terminal B, clear security with your A/C boarding pass, enter the lounge, enjoy then run through the same gauntlet again on the way back.

Another annoying gripe which is somewhat related to UA since EWR is their base on the East coast:

Why is it that terminals/concourses aren't connected airside requiring pax to re-clear security on most connections (even if *A). I can't count the number of times I've had a flight booked with UA that had some segment operated by AC which required me to leave the secure area and re-clear security at Terminal A (United) or Terminal C. While UA provides a courtesy bus to Terminal B (which handles the LH/AI/SK/LX situation) they don't have such a courtesy bus operating from Terminal A (AC) which makes 0 sense. If I'm flying from YYZ to somewhere in the US (via EWR) I'm going to arrive airside having cleared TSA security and customs at YYZ. Why should I have to clear it again?

Don't get me wrong, EWR is a decent airport and doesn't have the weather related issues that ORD seems to have quite often. It's just a bunch of small things which make the experience annoying (i.e. disappearing showers from the UC in EWR which happened late last year? Who knows when those will return!).

Anyway that's my 2 cents on the matter.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:09 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
My trivial gripe of the moment? UA doesn't enforce it when they tell people the flight is heavily booked, please put their additional items under the seat in front until boarding is complete then fill overhead space after regular carry-ons have been accommodated. Elderly privileged couple (but still BG2) on UA 676 IAH-DCA last night (10A/B if it matters) get on after me and literally fill 2 bins over them and me as they put up 2 rollaboards AND 2 large carry-ons, leaving their underseat space clear. Neither was particularly tall so it's not like they HAD to have the footspace but I felt bad for the passengers in 10C and row 8 who still had to find space for their rollaboards.
I know they weren't GS because one of the passengers in row 7 was acknowledged as GS when the FA came by for food orders but nothing was said to the couple. Wouldn't have taken a moment for an FA to tell the couple to please hold off filling the overhead with their additional carry-ons like that until the rows in proximity had been boarded.
While I feel your pain how do you practically expect that to work? Do you want FAs to follow each customer up the aisle and watch their baggage stowage activities? I think sometimes the only thing you can do is appeal to the better side of human nature, and hope it works. Sadly these days it rarely does, but what are you going to do?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Adult brothers that apparently can’t be seated apart for a TATL that resulted in one of them, a gate agent and the father asking if I would switch from the 789 J “middle” bulk head to a K seat with a small footwell.

I guess the L seat next to the other must REALLY want that window seat.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another trivial gripe: People using all-caps to refer to United/Chase/etc. as though each were an acronym. Yes, their logos are all-caps, but one doesn’t refer to Apple using an apple emoji, or call McDonald’s “M”...
diburning likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TCD
While I feel your pain how do you practically expect that to work? Do you want FAs to follow each customer up the aisle and watch their baggage stowage activities? I think sometimes the only thing you can do is appeal to the better side of human nature, and hope it works. Sadly these days it rarely does, but what are you going to do?
Wasn't my pain since I preceded the couple in question and I posted this in "trivial gripes" for a reason but in this case, row 10 was clearly visible to the FAs at the front (although they might have been preoccupied attending to the passengers in J class). I happen to like the flights where FAs call out offenses (usually humorously) over the PA system without specifically identifying the miscreants. Embarrass them by letting them know they were seen and caught but don't make a huge public scene out of it .. hopefully that will make them more aware of others in the future.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Seeds in the grapes on the cheese plate.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two weeks ago I had to make a change to a reservation, which I did by phone. At the end, the agent said the email is on the way, as usual. But, as usual, the email did not come. I am accustomed to this and double check the reservation afterward.

Today, the email came.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:01 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Wasn't my pain since I preceded the couple in question and I posted this in "trivial gripes" for a reason but in this case, row 10 was clearly visible to the FAs at the front (although they might have been preoccupied attending to the passengers in J class). I happen to like the flights where FAs call out offenses (usually humorously) over the PA system without specifically identifying the miscreants. Embarrass them by letting them know they were seen and caught but don't make a huge public scene out of it .. hopefully that will make them more aware of others in the future.
Fair enough, and yes, my bad for responding to a trivial gripe comment. I think I called you out because your gripe was too non-trivial for this thread. I have no come back for RockinRon's seeds in grapes gripe...

I do like your anonymous shaming thought though.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: United 1K
Recent TATL in E+ on a 757. 20C exit row so decent legroom but no recline. However, I only recline if I sleep and I did not plan to sleep on this flight. I checked the seat map frequently before the flight and 20B/21B were always open, expected as most coach passengers cannot book the exit rows and additionally they are middle seats. Sure enough, those two seats get filled by a non-rev and his girlfriend. He of course asks me to switch with her so they can sit together, and I decline as being 6'3" I don't wish to sit in a middle seat for a 6.5 hour flight. I'd have no gripe if it were left right there, but he then goes on trying to sell me on the idea of switch, as her seat reclines, and it's really the best seat outside of first class. I still have to decline two more times. Proceeds not to speak to me the rest of the flight, which is quite fine, but then starts talking with the woman in the window seat about how great row 21 is and how lucky his girlfriend is to be sitting there.

tl;dr = Non-revs that try to convince you to swap so they can sit with their companions.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
My trivial gripe is that, on a lot of 737s, the toilet seats in the lavs won't stay up, so taking a leak is far more complicated than it should be. Either leave the lid down and try not to spray too much, or hold the seat up with your foot or hand while simultaneously peeing.
iluv2fly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.