My trivial gripe. What's yours?

Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA MP
Ice cream is always the dessert in TPAC Y (according to one FA, they sometimes have mousse but I have never seen it). I don't eat ice cream, and actually a lot of other people I know don't eat ice cream.

The in flight snack in Y on NRT-ORD flights (and others ex-NRT I assume) is basically exactly the same as AA (ham and cheese sandwich on a hamburger bun with a kit-kat and one of them has a second snack, but I forget who...).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by edcho
Current Trivial Gripe = slow posting of miles. I flew Delta for the first time recently and was shocked at how quickly (aka the next morning) my miles posted compared to UA.
There was a time, before the merger with NW ~10 years ago, that DL miles would post a short time after your BP was scanned. I remember seeing them show up on the mobile website when firing up my Blackberry upon landing. To UA's credit, though, they are faster at updating your status after clearing a threshold.

Glad to see this thread is back!
Old May 4, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In ORD, it's somewhat strange to use the native language for the greeting and English for the place name, e.g., 'Hola Mexico City' instead of 'Hola Ciudad de Mxico'.

Also the international-routes advertising has '你好'/'nǐhǎo' (for Shanghai) rendered as 'nhǎo'. At least they're consistent between the banners and electronic displays with this one.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
The toilet seat in the first class lav on some 737s won't stay up/open without having to hold it in place. Its really annoying.
Actually, that could be psychological -- to deter men from standing up while peeing and to do it sitting down! Standing up on the airplane is much more likely to create a mess on the floor that way, alas.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fumje
In ORD, it's somewhat strange to use the native language for the greeting and English for the place name, e.g., 'Hola Mexico City' instead of 'Hola Ciudad de Mxico'.

Also the international-routes advertising has '你好'/'nǐhǎo' (for Shanghai) rendered as 'nhǎo'. At least they're consistent between the banners and electronic displays with this one.
When I was through ORD earlier this week, the large advertising banner when going down the escalators from B terminal to the tunnel was holiday themed...I think for Rosemont. Christmas decor and I think even a pic of Santa.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by fumje
That's arguably not wrong though, because while 你 is nǐ on its own, when there are two consecutive third tones the first one morphs to second tone.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:47 pm

The amount of carry-ons that people STILL bring on board. And the fact that roll-aboards still have not been banned. Those are my trivial gripes.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
That's arguably not wrong though, because while 你 is nǐ on its own, when there are two consecutive third tones the first one morphs to second tone.
OK, turns out to be a commendable command of linguistics!
Zorak likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The version of The Hunt for the Red October on Private Screening is edited for content.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Headphone jacks seem to be universally worn out and require monkeying around with to actually hear the IFE.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Headphone jacks seem to be universally worn out and require monkeying around with to actually hear the IFE.
On top of this, the two-pronged adapter on polaris is a different kind than the two-prong adapter on the rest of the fleet! It's smaller. I bought one that worked on the PMCO seat but doesn't work in Polaris.
RockinRon likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
I'd like to see the policy be that all Disabled passengers who need a wheel chair be seated in the very back of the plane so that they don't retard the deplaning upon arrival and in case of safety incidents. Ditto for those seated in aisle seats = safety risk if they cannot get up quickly in an accident. My guess is "disabled" number of people per flight would go down by 80%.

If I were disabled, I'd been ticked at all of the scammers.
On a flight CMH-IAD on a CRJ-200 1A&B were asked to move to 1C&D to accommodate 2 disabled passengers (I was supposed to be 1B). They were both elderly and when we deplaned in IAD they were the 3rd and 4th people off the plane. The gangway/ramp on wheels was loaded while they both came down to their waiting airport transfer chairs. While not too many were really delayed as we waited for gate checked bags to be unloaded, I wondered about the load capacity of the ramp. I was happy I was already on the tarmac.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by villox
On top of this, the two-pronged adapter on polaris is a different kind than the two-prong adapter on the rest of the fleet! It's smaller. I bought one that worked on the PMCO seat but doesn't work in Polaris.
One one side of it, right? ISTR I was able to plug in my own earbuds into just the one side that fit, and was fully expecting to only have sound in one ear but was pleasantly surprised that it "worked" (I might only have been getting one channel but didn't notice with whatever it was that I watched)

trivial gripe: tray tables with the lift-up flap so you can watch stuff on your phone/media but the location isn't in the center of the tray
Old May 8, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
The version of The Hunt for the Red October on Private Screening is edited for content.
I haven't seen it on Private Screening but now I'm irritated that they would edit such a movie. One of my all time favorites and now I know what I'll be watching DEN-LHR in a few weeks.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Zorak

trivial gripe: tray tables with the lift-up flap so you can watch stuff on your phone/media but the location isn't in the center of the tray
But if it was in the middle you can't watch your show while eating at the same time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.