Search

My trivial gripe. What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
I know it has. But are you defending it? Even when it’s for no cause?

Clear air turbulence is a real thing, no doubt. And can happen anytime in a flight, not just the last hour!
My “trivial gripe” is about when FAs are over-eager to shut down service (which anyway isn’t usually great) as soon as they can!
The part about the pilots being required to constantly request ride reports from ATC and other pilots ahead of them, and to turn on the seat belt sign at the tiniest suggestion of turbulence are not nonsense. Some part of it is actual safety, some part is NTSB and the FAA. But the biggest part is the UAL corporation avoiding legal action. If there is an incident they can show the court/government that they took all proper steps to avoid turbulence and required the pax to stay buckled in.

It is fair to say the FA's use this as an excuse to stop working though. When I fly on other airlines, US or foreign, they keep up the service when the seat belt sign is on. Unless there is actual moderate or severe turbulence.
SPN Lifer and threecap like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Credit card pitches. Not one, not two, but three different announcements about UA credit cards on one recent flight.

So annoying and deceptive.

Fortunately, two other flights on the same trip had none.
VRFast likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
The part about the pilots being required to constantly request ride reports from ATC and other pilots ahead of them, and to turn on the seat belt sign at the tiniest suggestion of turbulence are not nonsense. Some part of it is actual safety, some part is NTSB and the FAA. But the biggest part is the UAL corporation avoiding legal action. If there is an incident they can show the court/government that they took all proper steps to avoid turbulence and required the pax to stay buckled in.

It is fair to say the FA's use this as an excuse to stop working though. When I fly on other airlines, US or foreign, they keep up the service when the seat belt sign is on. Unless there is actual moderate or severe turbulence.
Your second paragraph was my point. That’s all. Fully agree with your first paragraph.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Credit card pitches. Not one, not two, but three different announcements about UA credit cards on one recent flight.

So annoying and deceptive.

Fortunately, two other flights on the same trip had none.
And when they say “this flight has been specially selected to receive a bonus…”
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gold23
Non-trivial- UA not allowing gate to gate wifi access.
Sounds trivial to me.

Originally Posted by narvik
The paper salt & pepper sachets don't contain a sufficient amount of pepper!
Especially the salt packet!

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Credit card pitches.
And even worse on international flights where half or more of the passengers aren't even eligible.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Eating "breakfast" on a 764 in seat 1k is like eating in the galley -- but OTOH you also get to hear all the great FA gossip!

lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Eating "breakfast" on a 764 in seat 1k is like eating in the galley -- but OTOH you also get to hear all the great FA gossip!
Humble Brag!
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sounds trivial to me.

I'd say yes in normal times, but spent the summer at EWR on the tarmac for 1+ hours over a dozen times after landing. Not having wifi access (and horrible data service inside the metal plane) is not trivial.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2022 at 5:44 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Not having wifi access (and horrible data service inside the metal plane) is not trivial.
Many of us can live quite well without a connection for at least a few hours. Still sounds trivial to me.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:40 pm

My trivial gripe: FAs who are hell-bent on setting speed talking records when making announcements.
dorisrpas and VRFast like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan

I’d rather have 1K than a business seat being served from same galley a lot farther back. Sometimes it seems like a hour between when 1K gets his/her meal and when the furthest seat gets theirs.

On the other hand, maybe watching the FA slowly work their way back creates an anticipation that makes UA’s food somehow more palatable - mind over matter…
AeRoSpaceman and tcdtcd like this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Mine is not having the duvet in P.S. red eyes.
The tiny blanket is not big enough, neither it is warm enough.

I wake up several time frozen and so mad at how cheap United is.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
I'd say yes in normal times, but spent the summer at EWR on the tarmac for 1+ hours over a dozen times after landing. Not having wifi access (and horrible data service inside the metal plane) is not trivial.
Ever tried connecting to your phone's hotspot (assuming you’re on a laptop)? LTE/5G too slow at Newark?
I guess a pilot on here would have a good answer for why no Wifi on tarmac.

Originally Posted by ICN1K
And when they say “this flight has been specially selected to receive a bonus…”
Reminds me of a tour we did of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in DC...big sign saying “Free samples tomorrow"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 28, 2022 at 6:46 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by VRFast
Ever tried connecting to your phone's hotspot (assuming you’re on a laptop)? LTE/5G too slow at Newark?
I guess a pilot on here would have a good answer for why no Wifi on tarmac.

Reminds me of a tour we did of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in DC...big sign saying “Free samples tomorrow"
You can get the bars on your phone on the EWR tarmac just fine, but often the metal makeup of the plane itself blocks out ability to do anything remotely data sensitive more than text.
VRFast likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by benewr
Mine is not having the duvet in P.S. red eyes.
The tiny blanket is not big enough, neither it is warm enough.

I wake up several time frozen and so mad at how cheap United is.
Allegedly, the duvet is back in October for premium transcon flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.