Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My trivial gripe. What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
My cinnamon roll was served to me upside down this morning, so all the sugary sweet topping was mashed and melted into the wrapper. Very uncouth.
Well, it was only uncouth when you were licking the wrapper to get the sugary sweet topping.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That thread did not end well in 2016: What's the Stupidest, Least Substantive UA-Related Thing to Complain About? [2016]

My: dirty / scratched up windows so I could not take good pictures
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
The retractable stanchion that guards 1K/Polaris baggage check-in at ORD is always closed. It's supposed to be manned but an agent only seems to show up after the fact in order to challenge pax who move the rope section and enter on their own...
While I'm still new to 1k... I usually move the barrier and waltz on in - my issues arise when that happens (nobody on duty at the 1k barrier, only a single agent in the 1k/polaris check-in, dealing with "an issue" (e.g. something that will clearly take more than a few minutes). In that case, if I ignore the barrier, and go in anyway, I will wait and wait and wait... even when, 99% of the time, there are free and available agents in the next section over - none of the other agents will move over to the 1k area, even when there are 3-4 agents waiting around, with no customers - literally 10 feet away. It's infuriating.
mr8 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
The napkins in first normally have a button hole size slit sewn in, and I always attach the napkin to my top button while eating to protect my clothing while eating. I've had at least a dozen pax and a couple FAs lament me for "cutting the napkins"...ummm no.
Trivial indeed but the struggle is real.
Ww, I've done that many times and never a comment.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Wish the upgrade list had fare and status by name so when you buy last minute or SDC you know what kind of shot you have at a CPU.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
It's sad UA has ONLY two meal options for INTL economy. And it has ALWAYS been chicken and vegetarian (like vegetarian pasta or that disgusting miso "ramen"). Sure, you get what you paid for, but serving passengers with only two choices that remain unchanged is just not humane. The sausage in the pancake is even shorter than my ringfinger. And the bread roll is a challenge for my teeth. I am not saying UA should keep up with EVA or Asiana, but please at least follow Delta's standards, give INTL Y passengers a third choice that is not chicken or vegan.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by 985X
The sausage in the pancake is even shorter than my ringfinger.
It's a good thing this isn't the censorship thread.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Grumpy older Flight Attendants on USA Asia (and visa versa )whom really don't care to serve or do anything more than the required minimum, thusly staying in the galley the whole flight unless their summoned. Especially when they give you stink eye for asking for something.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Mine is about SFO and only related to United, because I hear it in T-3. It’s that annoying message that ends in “help us keep our airport secure.” I cannot stand the way she says “secure”; it’s very annoying, beyond irritating. It’s nice clear English up to that point, then she butchers the word “secure.” It can’t just be me. Something needs to be done.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by Ophelia
While I'm still new to 1k... I usually move the barrier and waltz on in - my issues arise when that happens (nobody on duty at the 1k barrier, only a single agent in the 1k/polaris check-in, dealing with "an issue" (e.g. something that will clearly take more than a few minutes). In that case, if I ignore the barrier, and go in anyway, I will wait and wait and wait... even when, 99% of the time, there are free and available agents in the next section over - none of the other agents will move over to the 1k area, even when there are 3-4 agents waiting around, with no customers - literally 10 feet away. It's infuriating.
I've observed that usually those 3-4 folks waiting around are 2-3 contract workers who take in bags from pax using the self check in kiosk and who have no access to the reservations computers behind the desk, plus maybe 1 UA agent floating from station to station dealing with any pax issues (if the 1 UA agent isn't tied up elsewhere which is the case a lot of the time).

I've had the experience however of being next in line at the 1K/Polaris desk and having an available agent from the Premier Access check-in call me over to their side instead of stepping over to the 1K side. This requires me ducking a couple of ropes (in my case with skis and 2 other bags) and checking in using the do it yourself machine. Convenient, yes, but kind of a PITA and defeat the purposes of the 1K line -- DYKWIA???

In the spirit of keeping this thread light-hearted, props to UA for their check in layout at DEN. Next to NRT F, it's one of the best layouts in the world in terms of spreading the line out and relieving passenger anxiety/stress.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Mine is about SFO and only related to United, because I hear it in T-3. It’s that annoying message that ends in “help us keep our airport secure.” I cannot stand the way she says “secure”; it’s very annoying, beyond irritating. It’s nice clear English up to that point, then she butchers the word “secure.” It can’t just be me. Something needs to be done.
That just struck me for a similar annoyance...on the pre-flight safety announcement, the one with the gentleman that has the deep resonant voice, the way he reiterates "keep your seat belts low and tight..." For some reason the emphasis he places on that statement just annoys me.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
“Only use the lavatories in your ticketed cabin.”

when i get CPUs, I am not Issued a new ticket. I guess I need to use the Y lav? Annoying.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Except that they would not write about it in a travel forum. We do not keep our boarding passes but when we read that some people kept all of them since their first flight, my wife was thinking how sad that she did not do that. Would have been many since 1960. She did keep the one for the one time she flew on the Concorde in 1994. But she does keep a list of all the airports she had flown in in the world.
I kept my boarding passes and other Concorde swag (portfolio, etc.) as well. And now, with great technological advances, I have every boarding pass (and other event tickets, etc.) saved in my Apple Wallet. Great memories, and memory hog!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
i always cringe when she says “control”
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by onthesam
I've observed that usually those 3-4 folks waiting around are 2-3 contract workers who take in bags from pax using the self check in kiosk and who have no access to the reservations computers behind the desk, plus maybe 1 UA agent floating from station to station dealing with any pax issues (if the 1 UA agent isn't tied up elsewhere which is the case a lot of the time).

I've had the experience however of being next in line at the 1K/Polaris desk and having an available agent from the Premier Access check-in call me over to their side instead of stepping over to the 1K side. This requires me ducking a couple of ropes (in my case with skis and 2 other bags) and checking in using the do it yourself machine. Convenient, yes, but kind of a PITA and defeat the purposes of the 1K line -- DYKWIA???

In the spirit of keeping this thread light-hearted, props to UA for their check in layout at DEN. Next to NRT F, it's one of the best layouts in the world in terms of spreading the line out and relieving passenger anxiety/stress.
Pretttty sure it would take longer for them to log out and log back in at a new computer if they stepped over to the 1K side You know, Windows and all that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.