Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 1551 EWR-PDX 737-900 blows front tire on takeoff, continues/lands safely PDX

UA 1551 EWR-PDX 737-900 blows front tire on takeoff, continues/lands safely PDX

Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by neo_781
Possibly true but I would have also thought you wouldn't want to fly all the way cross country and then have a limited amount of fuel (yes I know they fly with "spare" fuel) in case you had to troubleshoot, divert or do something else before landing.

Just like LO16 back a few years that flew the entire TATL flight to burn off fuel. Many planes can take off quite a bit heavier than their Max landing weight due to fuel so they in fact have to either burn off or dump it.

I would also speculate that since PDX is a bit slower traffic wise and seems to be well equipped for an emergency situation (as most major airports are) that having it land there rather than SFO where a closed runway would lead to major delays was a wise operational move.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:41 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
The respected Aviation Herald's posting on the incident: Incident: United B739 at Newark and Portland on Feb 25th 2018, burst tyre on departure
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:22 am

Aircraft are certified to land at maximum takeoff weight. It requires an inspection to be returned to service but landing overweight is an option in any emergency. Some aircraft have fuel dump capabilities which can help get underweight but I believe the dumping is designed to help the aircraft meet engine out climb gradient requirements as well. Landing overweight certainly increases runway length requirements and this is all factored as the crew works through the abnormal procedure.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AceReport
Many planes can take off quite a bit heavier than their Max landing weight due to fuel so they in fact have to either burn off or dump it.
Or land and take the inspection.
AceReport likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Wayside
Aircraft are certified to land at maximum takeoff weight. It requires an inspection to be returned to service but landing overweight is an option in any emergency. Some aircraft have fuel dump capabilities which can help get underweight but I believe the dumping is designed to help the aircraft meet engine out climb gradient requirements as well. Landing overweight certainly increases runway length requirements and this is all factored as the crew works through the abnormal procedure.
That's true, and there are incidents where that's the right thing to do, but a blown tire seems like a case where you'd want to land as light as possible. From a poster here who knew someone on the flight, it sounds like they also moved passengers around to put the center of gravity as far back as possible (without risking a tail strike).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bhunt
Not an expert but if other tire on noisegear still up ok to land safely. Wouldn't of turned back to EWR either because needed to get fuel weight down.
Not an expert either but I suspect that a blown tire on takeoff is about like a blown tire on the highway - concerning of course, but hardly a critical emergency. If they're already in the air and climbing to cruise altitude then it is probably better to continue on, burn fuel and lighten the aircraft and prepare for an extended nose-up landing than turn back immediately. Sounds like the crew did a great job in bringing the plane down safely.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Not an expert either but I suspect that a blown tire on takeoff is about like a blown tire on the highway - concerning of course, but hardly a critical emergency.
Except that you can't really keep driving the car with a blown tire (run flats excepted) but you can keep flying the plane.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:19 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by neo_781
Possibly true but I would have also thought you wouldn't want to fly all the way cross country and then have a limited amount of fuel (yes I know they fly with "spare" fuel) in case you had to troubleshoot, divert or do something else before landing.
With a blown tire, as others suggested above, yes you do want the weight down, so burn off the fuel and get to the destination while you're at it. All else during mid-flight and approach I would say is the same as in normal circumstances and would have little to do with the tire once the continuing decision is made, so additional fuel is not a concern. Then on landing, I would think they kind of have "1 try and better get it right", because once that bad tire hits the ground, you're not wanting to go around again and again necessitating much more fuel than usual...
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
One thing I haven't seen mentioned a lot here is that this was a flight to a hub airport. Not a UA hub, but a hub airport where AS likely has maintenance they can use. If this flight were destined to, say, a smaller airport such as RNO or similar, they may very well have diverted to SFO or turned back.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The blown tire at EWR would not have had an impact on fuel burn, and provided everything else was normal (e.g., no debris ingestion into an engine, gear stowed normally, etc.) the flight would proceed just as any other, with the same concerns vis-a-vis alternates, contingency fuel, go around, etc. The only issue I could see would be if the crew elected to perform a missed approach to allow the tower a visual inspection of the gear, but if it deployed normally, locked with three greens, I don't think that would be necessary, either. Plus, it was dark in PDX at the time the flight landed.

On landing the objective would be to keep the nose off the ground as long as possible to bleed off speed, hence moving some pax around for CG purposes (it was not a full flight), but this would be the case no matter where the aircraft landed, whether it was EWR, SFO, ORD or elsewhere. The decision to continue to PDX was no doubt made in concert with the crew, a maintenance controller and UA dispatch. In this case, PDX was a good decision, as it resulted in a safe landing, passengers getting to their destination, and a quick return to service for the affected airplane, planned for today after a ferry to SFO for tire alignment. In fact, it would appear that this decision was made primarily for customer convenience (after ensuring no safety of flight issues) since if UA wanted to avoid a possible ferry and extended period of time out of service, it very well could have sent the airplane to SFO right off the bat.

Originally Posted by chermorg
One thing I haven't seen mentioned a lot here is that this was a flight to a hub airport. Not a UA hub, but a hub airport where AS likely has maintenance they can use. If this flight were destined to, say, a smaller airport such as RNO or similar, they may very well have diverted to SFO or turned back.
PDX is a 737 line maintenance station for UA, so changing tires and inspecting the nose gear there is a non-issue. However, since both nose gear tires were replaced, the a/c will not be returned to revenue service until the wheels are aligned.

Even at smaller stations, UA often stocks high-mortality parts (like tires) for common aircraft types and, if it the station does not have a UA mechanic on-site, will contract with a local FBO or ground handler for mx support as needed.
chermorg, goodeats21 and tuolumne like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Feb 27, 2018 at 11:58 am
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Originally Posted by EWR764
SNIP for the affected airplane, planned for today after a ferry to SFO for tire alignment. In fact, it would appear that this decision was made primarily for customer convenience (after ensuring no safety of flight issues) since if UA wanted to avoid a possible ferry and extended period of time out of service, it very well could have sent the airplane to SFO right off the bat.
I never realized that the front tires needed to be aligned. Learn something new....
scottpenderson likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
I never realized that the front tires needed to be aligned. Learn something new....
Agreed. I love it when our friendly experts check-in with info...
chermorg likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:58 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
I would say it's pretty important... The only thing aside from rudder pressure keeping the plane on the runway during landing and rollout!

You recall the Jetblue flight a few years ago that had a nose wheel problem on landing and landed with sparks flying? I believe they actually locked the gear in the 90 degree cross orientation to prevent the gear from inadvertently turning and sending the aircraft off the runway.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by EWR764
PDX is a 737 line maintenance station for UA, so changing tires and inspecting the nose gear there is a non-issue. However, since both nose gear tires were replaced, the a/c will not be returned to revenue service until the wheels are aligned.

Even at smaller stations, UA often stocks high-mortality parts (like tires) for common aircraft types and, if it the station does not have a UA mechanic on-site, will contract with a local FBO or ground handler for mx support as needed.
That's good to know - they likely didn't care about going to PDX because they have the MX facilities and the manpower to fix it there (albeit they were unable to align the tires). I did not know this about PDX being a line mx station (and could've looked it up but meh).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by TA

I would say it's pretty important... The only thing aside from rudder pressure keeping the plane on the runway during landing and rollout!

You recall the Jetblue flight a few years ago that had a nose wheel problem on landing and landed with sparks flying? I believe they actually locked the gear in the 90 degree cross orientation to prevent the gear from inadvertently turning and sending the aircraft off the runway.

The same thing happened with a battleship UA A320 in 2008/2009 at EWR if I recall - though that plane landed at night and didn’t get the sensational LA O.J. style live breaking news event coverage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.