FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Above seat carry on space in first class if late arrival and/or row 1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1895857-above-seat-carry-space-first-class-if-late-arrival-row-1-a.html)

threeoh Feb 27, 2018 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles (Post 29463462)
Row 1 is a bulkhead. Row 3 is not.

I know! My point is that if we are talking about rollaboards, then it doesn't really matter whether you are bulkhead or not -- there's always the danger your spot might be full if you board late. If we are talking about personal items that could fit under the seat in front of you, then I understand -- but OP already said they put their purse behind their legs when sitting in bulkhead, so not sure why bulkhead is at such a disadvantage.

findark Feb 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by prncess674 (Post 29464790)
I think that standing in the aisle and blocking others makes you seem like a twit since you are now impeding the flow of traffic and making yourself seem more important than everyone else. Remain in your row till you can safely reach your bag.

I prefer just jumping up immediately when the brake is set. There is always a minute or two before the door opens so the only "traffic" you might be blocking are the people who inexplicably feel the need to stand in the aisle for that time. IMO if you're fast enough you don't have to push by that many people, and I've never had trouble with a fast "excuse me". Otherwise you're walking backwards into a flow of deplaning pax.

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29465111)
I know! My point is that if we are talking about rollaboards, then it doesn't really matter whether you are bulkhead or not -- there's always the danger your spot might be full if you board late. If we are talking about personal items that could fit under the seat in front of you, then I understand -- but OP already said they put their purse behind their legs when sitting in bulkhead, so not sure why bulkhead is at such a disadvantage.

Row 1 also has limited or no room for rollaboards above, due to the tapering of the fuselage.

prncess674 Feb 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 29465857)
I prefer just jumping up immediately when the brake is set. There is always a minute or two before the door opens so the only "traffic" you might be blocking are the people who inexplicably feel the need to stand in the aisle for that time. IMO if you're fast enough you don't have to push by that many people, and I've never had trouble with a fast "excuse me". Otherwise you're walking backwards into a flow of deplaning pax.

I have never not been on a flight where everyone doesn't jump up like a jack rabbit as soon as the fasten seat belt sign is on. Everyone is putting on coats, grabbing bags, stretching.

94010flyer Feb 27, 2018 2:08 pm

On the new 777-300, there is no overhead space for the middle seats 1D and 1G (its the crew rest space entered from above, Im told), so the only place to stow their bags nearby are the overheads over the side seats.

On a recent flight I was in 1D, and I put my bag the first overhead on the side, and the person in 1C put his bag in there as well. 1A boarded later and had no room in the overhead. He seemed quite confused, since below the overhead there was a sign for 1A (indicating the seat number but mistaken by him to mean that it was 1A's overhead). He complained to a flight attendant that "his" overhead was filled. She found him space nearby. Not sure if she explained that there is no "reserved" overhead compartment.

I don't think any airline guarantees you have your own dedicated overhead space, and on narrowbodies in first class, if I dont board with group 1, I assume Im going to have to use an overhead that may not be near my seat.

ExplorerWannabe Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by prncess674 (Post 29464790)
Yes, it is a minor inconvenience to allow the 8 passengers in rows 2&3 to deplane but it takes less than 60 seconds and makes you a decent human being.

The problem with that statement is that the passengers from rows 4, 5, etc. are following immediately behind the passengers from 2 and 3. There is usually a bit of a delay between the seatbelt light coming off and the door being opened. It would be far more helpful for everyone concerned if the passengers in row 1 could get their stuff during that delay and then get out of everyone's way rather than rows 2 and 3 immediately jumping up and crowding the aisle.
I generally try to avoid bulkhead rows because of this and also try to help people who have had to stow their carry-on behind them by either letting them through or helping pass their carry-on up to them. If I've had to stow my carry-on way in the back and don't have a tight connection, I just stay in my seat until the crush passes in front of me and I can go back without creating a traffic jam.

Two Bee Feb 27, 2018 3:46 pm

If for some reason I can't place my bag in a bin near my seat, and it is only a few rows back, a little eye contact, and a smile to the person back there, with a, "Could you please hand me the black bag over your head?", has worked for me without fail!
...and everyone lived happily thereafter! ;)

Kacee Feb 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 29465857)

Agree. I've done this quite a few times, it's never been a problem. OTOH, if you wait, you're going to be waiting an awfully long time.

neo_781 Feb 28, 2018 2:30 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 29464602)
In general I would agree, but I once inadvertently set off a fist fight in first class when I tried to go back a few rows to get my bag. A gentleman in the aisle seat on that row was going to let me, but the person in the window next to him didn't want to let me and so literally pushed the guy into the guy across the aisle who then started throwing punches at the gentleman who was just trying to be nice and let me get my bag. An extreme example I know but after that incident I've learned not to expect much courtesy from other passengers.

Wow ... that's crazy!

tryathlete Feb 28, 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 29461243)
So for the second time in three days, I go to my seat 1A to find there is no room for my carryon until the very end of first class. At least there is room. Yes, late connecting flight so unable to get to the gate before BG 3, but at least I made the connection.

I remove what I need during the flight, but trying to swim upstream at the end of the flight is a nightmare as obviously everyone else wants to get off.

It is not as if the FAs are unable to see there is no one seated yet in 1A and there is obviously no room for carryon and you are not permitted to put anything in front of you (as there is no seat) and I then try to hide my purse behind my legs as my purse being four or five rows from where I am seated is a no go.

I know I am not the only person in First Class who has these issues as I see it happen to others who board after me.

United should really look at this issue.

yesterday seated in 2A on a 175, FA told pass boarding for 2C to leave front bin open for row 1 pass not yet boarded. She was very polite and it worked out well.

Miggles Feb 28, 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 29461336)
but I can't think of a solution that works across the fleet.

How about addressing the source of the problem: rollers. They are incredibly inefficient users of space, and banning them as carry on would open up a lot of space. I frequently see individuals lugging 2 of these on board, one stacked on the other! It is no wonder there is no overhead space left by the time group 2 boards.

drewguy Mar 1, 2018 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Miggles (Post 29469643)
How about addressing the source of the problem: rollers. They are incredibly inefficient users of space, and banning them as carry on would open up a lot of space. I frequently see individuals lugging 2 of these on board, one stacked on the other! It is no wonder there is no overhead space left by the time group 2 boards.

Good luck telling F pax (let alone Y pax) that roll-aboards will be banned (even if they can be checked for free).

By all means though, tilt against the windmill of having gate agents enforce the carry-on rules.

mr8 Mar 1, 2018 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Miggles (Post 29469643)

Two rollers is pushing it, but IMO, aircraft should be required to have enough storage space for 1 roll aboard per seat.

​​​​​Elites get free checked baggage, but most don’t want to wait around baggage claim.

threeoh Mar 1, 2018 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by mr8 (Post 29474913)

Two rollers is pushing it, but IMO, aircraft should be required to have enough storage space for 1 roll aboard per seat.

​​​​​Elites get free checked baggage, but most don’t want to wait around baggage claim.

I think if they let (non-elites) check a bag that would be a legal carry-on for free (while still charging for non-carry-on-legal bags), they would solve the overhead bin problem in no time.

Obviously not everyone would check, but enough would. Even if it were just 10% or 20%, that would be a huge help. Add that to the BE fares and maybe you've solved the problem.

findark Mar 1, 2018 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29475320)
I think if they let (non-elites) check a bag that would be a legal carry-on for free (while still charging for non-carry-on-legal bags), they would solve the overhead bin problem in no time.

Obviously not everyone would check, but enough would. Even if it were just 10% or 20%, that would be a huge help. Add that to the BE fares and maybe you've solved the problem.

They already do this (gate checks are free) and it hasn't solved the problem.

BE fares plus space bins I think will fix most of it though.

fezzington Mar 1, 2018 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29475320)

This already happens every day when GAs offer free gate checks. And still, people in group 4 (and occasionally, late arriving elites) have to check bags.

Also, more checked bags can be a problem in the summer months when dealing with weight limitations (especially in places like SNA)