Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Above seat carry on space in first class if late arrival and/or row 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Above seat carry on space in first class if late arrival and/or row 1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I agree with the issue flying to Canada after a Mel-lax flight where you have a carry on for the long flight

i usually take row 3or 4just to avoid to OP problem. It is bad for folks that don’t know and book row 1amd board late, they are in a bad way and usually end up gate checked after grabbing a few things out

small airplane, big problem
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I usually ask the FAs if they can cram my bag in the closet. As an added benefit, they even hand you your bag after the plane lands ^
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well United can first of all start with what Swiss and many other airlines do and put a sign up saying that the bins are for First Class. Second, but far less likely to happen is for the FA's to not let coach passengers put their bags up in the premium cabin bins, again like they do on Swiss. On my flight to Copenhagen, the FA made the coach passenger remove his bag and take it to the back. He tried to insist that there may be no room and the FA told him that they will cross that bridge when they come to it and made him remove it.
by B H, on Flickr
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't carry on a roller if I've selected row 1.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:09 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
​​​Hate when this happen! I always try to avoid bulkhead on domestic flights, but this can still happen on regional jets if you don’t board with G1. I was recently on 1A (that’s all that was open at the time of booking) on a CRJ700 and was running late, so had to board with G2 and swim upstream to about the second row of economy for my carry-on. As others have mentioned additional closets/lockers would be a great way to solve this at least for F.

The problem is that they’re trying to cram too many people onboard without adding additional storage (e,g, reconfiged 777). I always try to write to United and point out this flaw in their seating arrangement even though I doubt anything will happen.

Last edited by mr8; Feb 26, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:01 pm

I remember a decade ago, the US Air Shuttle FA's were actually very good about policing the F bins and making sure that only F passengers used them. Usually, a male FA would stand in the space between the two cabins, and he would be vocal as needed. One of the good things about the US Air Shuttle that was lost in the merger. So it goes...
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
i usually take row 3 or 4 just to avoid to OP problem. It is bad for folks that don’t know and book row 1 and board late, they are in a bad way and usually end up gate checked after grabbing a few things out
I don't understand...if you book row 3 and board late, there is room overhead? If so, then if you book row 1 and board at the same time, you could put your bag above row 3. I understand that is still "swimming upstream" at landing time, but two rows is usually no big deal.

Or is the problem personal items that would go under the seat with row 3?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
I don't understand...if you book row 3 and board late, there is room overhead? If so, then if you book row 1 and board at the same time, you could put your bag above row 3. I understand that is still "swimming upstream" at landing time, but two rows is usually no big deal.

The issue was swimming upstream to get my bag from the back of row 4 - fortunately a kind gentleman got my bag down for me but now I am standing in the middle of the first class cabin and blocking the people trying to get out to get their overhead items. The reason I commented is that happened twice in three days. I know it is a first world problem.

I "hid" my purse behind my legs - not a good safety issue I know but what can you do when there is no room in the overhead above you. *shrugs
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by seat38a
Well United can first of all start with what Swiss and many other airlines do and put a sign up saying that the bins are for First Class. Second, but far less likely to happen is for the FA's to not let coach passengers put their bags up in the premium cabin bins, again like they do on Swiss.
You'd think they could do that. Or maybe they could educate their own employees: tonight on an AS flight, a 'civilian' with UA badge boards, shoves his rollaboard with crew tags into an F overhead bin and proceeds towards the back of the plane. There were still empty bins in the back.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by threeoh

Row 1 is a bulkhead. Row 3 is not.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
1) It's not every seat - it's bulkheads in F and Y (at least on single aisle planes).
2) Addressing it wouldn't require a "huge" effort, just a modest one.

FWIW, I have seen pax in F throw their bag in the first available bin even if they're in row 3 or 4. Why? Because no one says "hey, could you leave that space for the bulkhead seat"?
Had a late connection one time and I was 1F. No space available. Flight attendant ask 1E what bag was his. Then ask rest of front cabin who the other bag above was. No one claimed it so she gate checked it.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't think signs will do anything as Americans seem to take particular pleasure in defying signs. In fact, I rather suspect the problem would be worse as some people would take it as a victim-less challenge to defy "the man" and put their coach carry-ons in the Business class overheads just to show they could.
I like the idea of closing the overheads until the business class section is filling/filled but it will work until they open one overhead for business class to put their things away then it will become chaos.
I think people would start responding if they started making announcements that coach class carry-ons placed in business class overheads would automatically be gate-checked unless claimed and then carried through on the threat but that's about what it would take and you'll still have problems with the F or J neighbor who decided to unload absolutely everything into the overheads and to heck with you.
Honestly, this is why I avoid bulkhead seats and have even turned down CPUs when they put me in row 1.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:52 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I like the idea of closing the overheads until the business class section is filling/filled but it will work until they open one overhead for business class to put their things away then it will become chaos.
Won't do much since First/Business usually boards first, and it's the pax that miss their boarding group that usually suffer.

One possible solution would be to have a flight attendant accessible locker/storage space towards the front of the plane that is reserved for bulkhead and first class pax that can't find any overhead space.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bhunt
Had a late connection one time and I was 1F. No space available. Flight attendant ask 1E what bag was his. Then ask rest of front cabin who the other bag above was. No one claimed it so she gate checked it.
Sounds to me like an unattended bag that should have been left behind.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
While I sympathize with the OP and can see this as an inconvenience, in my experiences I really don't see this as a big problem for first class. In my experiences first class passengers tend to be a bit more accommodating to their fellow first class passengers so I have never had a problem with either dashing back a few rows (the aisle is typically wider so it's easier to "squeeze" past) when the plane parks at the gate or asking someone to pass my bag up to me. Depending on size and weight of bag, I've done both with good success.

Now in coach, its a whole different ballgame, but I will save my thoughts so as not to stray off topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.