Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DirecTV / WI-Fi Over the Ocean to Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

My wife, son, wife's best friend and I are flying HNL-LAX-IAD during the Olympics later this winter. My wife and her friend are Olympics junkies.

Our HNL-LAX flight will be a 753. Checking the inflight amenities for today's UA1231 (today's version of the flight), I see the 753 has DirecTV for use within the Continental US. United's website says that there's "recorded movies and TV shows" (presumably in lieu of live DirecTV) outside of CONUS.

My question is: how recent is the pre-recorded content? Would the pre-recorded TV be recent footage from the DirecTV channels from the past 24 hours? If so, they probably would find the Olympics coverage worthwhile to watch. If not, they might want to bring something to watch on their own devices.

Anyone familiar with how the pre-recorded content works when DirecTV is outside of range?

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
They might have recordings of the Winter Olympics on a loop, but these would be from 2010 and before.
There are probably some memorable scenes from the Sarajevo Winter Olympics (1984) that would appeal to those who are devoted aficionados.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
They might have recordings of the Winter Olympics on a loop, but these would be from 2010 and before.
There are probably some memorable scenes from the Sarajevo Winter Olympics (1984) that would appeal to those who are devoted aficionados.
Gotcha. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Definitely not recent. Typically it has movies and tv shows. Nothing recorded from the channels.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by aoumd
My wife, son, wife's best friend and I are flying HNL-LAX-IAD during the Olympics later this winter. My wife and her friend are Olympics junkies.

Our HNL-LAX flight will be a 753. Checking the inflight amenities for today's UA1231 (today's version of the flight), I see the 753 has DirecTV for use within the Continental US. United's website says that there's "recorded movies and TV shows" (presumably in lieu of live DirecTV) outside of CONUS.

My question is: how recent is the pre-recorded content? Would the pre-recorded TV be recent footage from the DirecTV channels from the past 24 hours? If so, they probably would find the Olympics coverage worthwhile to watch. If not, they might want to bring something to watch on their own devices.

Anyone familiar with how the pre-recorded content works when DirecTV is outside of range?

Thanks!
Your DirecTV feed will be the same as if you were home.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Your DirecTV feed will be the same as if you were home.
That is correct for the LAX-IAD segment, but not for the over water HNL-LAX segment. Also, channel selection for the Directv feed on LAX-IAD is limited. I am not certain if NBC is picked up.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
That is correct for the LAX-IAD segment, but not for the over water HNL-LAX segment. Also, channel selection for the Directv feed on LAX-IAD is limited. I am not certain if NBC is picked up.
NBC (and many of the sub-channels) are part of the selection. It will be the NYC feed.

ABC is not on the DirecTV planes because ABC could never figure out how to license the content to the airlines and pay the affiliates correctly.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the information!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:09 pm

It should also be noted that only half of the 757-300s have DirecTV. The other half use streaming PDE (may not be exactly "half" per se, but the original CO ones have DTV, and the ones acquired after ATA went bankrupt don't have it, and which version gets assigned to which flight won't be known until a couple days before the flight at best).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:28 am

DirecTV Over the Ocean to Hawaii?

United's entertainment guide says my flight 539 from SFO to OGG has DirecTV. Is that really true? I didn't think you could receive DirecTV over the ocean.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Recorded movies and tv shows are available on that segment, but no live feed as that only works in the continental U.S.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:38 am
glg

DirecTV is satellite, not ground based. Being over the ocean has nothing to do with it.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by glg
DirecTV is satellite, not ground based. Being over the ocean has nothing to do with it.
Technically correct, but since the satellites don't aim the signal over the water, there will be no live TV programs over water. The map that UA provides makes this quite clear @:-)

NoLaGent's answer is correct.

Originally Posted by UAL.com
The satellite coverage area for DIRECTV is the continental U.S. You will not be able watch live programming as flights travel out of the continental U.S., but you'll have access to previously recorded programming.

Last edited by EmailKid; Feb 25, 2018 at 8:47 am Reason: Added link and quote
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by glg
I think the Wifi service is satellite also, but it goes out shortly after leaving the mainland.
I always load stuff to watch on my tablet (Netflix app now lets one download Movies/TV to the tablet) as I've had too many flights where the IFE (and sometimes Wifi) system isn't working.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Phil Level
I think the Wifi service is satellite also, but it goes out shortly after leaving the mainland.
777s have satellite based WiFi, so that would be available all the way to Hawaii. And beyond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.