Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Hm, never observed that for anyone next to me, actual companion or not. I am a man, though, which I infer may be the deciding factor? Does the FA solicit the man next to you for food/bev. or just comp. whatever is ordered if something is ordered?
Comped whatever is ordered and confused the heck out of him. The
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver

Comped whatever is ordered and confused the heck out of him. The
Comical, except for the injustice.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: United 1k, Delta Platinum, American Gold, Marriott Titanium and lifetime Platinum
To the OP....if it makes you feel any better, I've been 1K forever. 2 years ago I did what you did to try to hit GS. Didn't happen and now I look back at all the silly connections and wasted time and wonder what I was thinking. 1K is no big deal. You get to line up in Group 1 with half of the passengers on the plane. Upgrades are rare. Upgrade certificates, for me, are worthless as there is never anything available when I book and I'd rather not chance it, so I just book first class. Maybe that's what they had in mind with these things. There have been times when I've had 30-40 Regional and Global upgrades in my account and didn't use any of them because of the lack of availability...even if the cabin is empty when I book.
But, I doubt if any airline is any better. Is what it is. Would rather keep the majority of my miles with United as their partners seem to have pretty good business availability in places we want to visit on vacation. That said, I'm now platinum on American and fly Delta, Jet Blue, and even Southwest if I don't have to connect. Went from close to $50k on united (not good enough for GS) to just over $20k the past couple of years. Always enough for 1k...not worth the aggravation beyond.
kit125 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by iapetus
I'm a first-time 1K this year. And I'm pretty happy with it. I've been upgraded twice on widebody flights -- FCO-ORD (GPU); IAH-LAX(CPU) -- so far this year, and it was pretty nice. But perhaps my expectations were more commensurate with reality? And I definitely feel as though United personnel mean it a little more when they thank me for my business.

My GPU may not clear for my ORD-MUC flight next month. But I really like the idea that it might. That was something I never had until 1K.

I should cross the million-mile mark in early 2019. I'm hoping that make 1K this year 'cause I'd much rather gift mrs. iapetus 1K status than platinum status (though I think she'd appreciate either).
Wont a million only gift Gold?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by glasman19
A million miler can gift their status, whatever it happens to be.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by glasman19

You can gift whatever status you have (GS, 1K, etc) but you won't ever fall below Gold (Lifetime Gold).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
So let's see....SPG has a "loyalty program" which seeks to get your travel $$$$ in return for giving you status. But it's all on your own to figure out how to get room upgrades or to use the suite night awards. If you don't ask (or even sometimes fight for) then you won't get, you'll get that same standard room you booked. Oh right, because the upgrade is the fact that standard room is now on floor 20 instead of floor 10. That's an upgrade! A huge one! (#sarcasm)

Guess SPG fails marketing 101 too. Oh and Marriott. Wait, American Airlines too? I mean have you tried using your miles for a saver award on AA in the past 2 years? I mean the list is endless.
I take it that you are not part of the SPG program, as basically everything you say is wrong. I was a lifetime PLT when they first started that program (the hotel desk manager at my stay in Orlando personally delivered my card with a bottle of champagne when I checked in, very classy ) and (1) I have never been unable to find a redemption when I looked in over 20 years in the program, and (2) I often get upgraded. On personal, overseas trips, I don't even bother with the "suite awards" as I get upgraded in the usual course.

My experience with the SPG program as been the polar opposite of my MileageMinus experience. YMMV.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by spin88
I take it that you are not part of the SPG program, as basically everything you say is wrong. I was a lifetime PLT when they first started that program (the hotel desk manager at my stay in Orlando personally delivered my card with a bottle of champagne when I checked in, very classy ) and (1) I have never been unable to find a redemption when I looked in over 20 years in the program, and (2) I often get upgraded. On personal, overseas trips, I don't even bother with the "suite awards" as I get upgraded in the usual course.

My experience with the SPG program as been the polar opposite of my MileageMinus experience. YMMV.
Wow where are you going that you always get upgraded by SPG? I’ve only been platinum 4 years and I’ve been upgraded to a suite only a handful of times out of hundreds of room nights. But I usually take what I’m assigned and rarely make a fuss at check-in. People rag on Hilton HHonors but I’ve actually had better luck being upgraded with them as a gold/diamond at the same SPG locations.

They’re not equivalent of course to a hotel program but I get upgraded a ton as GS and (as a 1K before that) more frequently than at hotels.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Personally I hate the fact that as a GS on a $800 one way ticket I will not get upgraded because someone on a $200 ticket can buy-up for $79, and it is definitely influencing how I buy tickets, but this is life. Basically the world we live in is one where a set of people
can afford first class and private jets, and the other 99% are treated as cargo (even if they buy-up).
I’m a GS flying tomorrow on an $850 one-way domestic fare and I can’t even get a seat assignment; Economy was oversold when I booked the ticket two weeks ago 😛. 1K/GS is truly valuable for many reasons but CPU is not one of them.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Wow where are you going that you always get upgraded by SPG? I’ve only been platinum 4 years and I’ve been upgraded to a suite only a handful of times out of hundreds of room nights. But I usually take what I’m assigned and rarely make a fuss at check-in. People rag on Hilton HHonors but I’ve actually had better luck being upgraded with them as a gold/diamond at the same SPG locations.

They’re not equivalent of course to a hotel program but I get upgraded a ton as GS and (as a 1K before that) more frequently than at hotels.
I guess I would ask what level of hotel you are staying at? My last 10 stays, I have been upgraded 8 times to a room better than my purchased room (W Seattle x2; W Times Square; Westin Times Square; Le Maridian Phili x3, Westin Grand Vancouver). And the W Times square was the presidential suite, which was mega cool, with a round bed! The two times I was not upgraded were in small cites at four points, and I'm not sure they had upgraded rooms . Recently is certainly higher than my average (which I would say is probably 50% upgrades), but I have never, not once gotten a bad room via Starwood.

And I might add that when on business a room upgrade is sort of useless to me, a standard room is just fine. The bottom line is that I am Starwood loyal, they get every sale I can give them! The contrast in my treatment by Starwood, where I always feel welcomed is a very different experience than I got as a GS post 2-2012 (when I was told when UA just took away my upgraded seat and put me in Y in the middle "its complementary, you have no right to that seat") as a 1K in 2014, or as a MM gold since then.

The little things matter, When I board on BG2 on UA my ticket beaps, I walk to my E+ seat. When I board DL, the agent says "M. Spin, thanks for your business" or "M. Spin, thanks for flying DL" or "M. Spin, thanks for being Plt with us" And on DL i'm often up front... Again YMMV
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by spin88
I guess I would ask what level of hotel you are staying at? My last 10 stays, I have been upgraded 8 times to a room better than my purchased room (W Seattle x2; W Times Square; Westin Times Square; Le Maridian Phili x3, Westin Grand Vancouver). And the W Times square was the presidential suite, which was mega cool, with a round bed! The two times I was not upgraded were in small cites at four points, and I'm not sure they had upgraded rooms . Recently is certainly higher than my average (which I would say is probably 50% upgrades), but I have never, not once gotten a bad room via Starwood.

And I might add that when on business a room upgrade is sort of useless to me, a standard room is just fine. The bottom line is that I am Starwood loyal, they get every sale I can give them! The contrast in my treatment by Starwood, where I always feel welcomed is a very different experience than I got as a GS post 2-2012 (when I was told when UA just took away my upgraded seat and put me in Y in the middle "its complementary, you have no right to that seat") as a 1K in 2014, or as a MM gold since then.

The little things matter, When I board on BG2 on UA my ticket beaps, I walk to my E+ seat. When I board DL, the agent says "M. Spin, thanks for your business" or "M. Spin, thanks for flying DL" or "M. Spin, thanks for being Plt with us" And on DL i'm often up front... Again YMMV
I'm top tier on all the hotel chains and almost never get upgraded to a suite in the US. They almost always give me a "nice" normal room, but not a suite. Outside the US it is a different story - I get suites almost everywhere I stay. I was just in India and got huge suites at the Marriott and Ritz Carlton. I guess there are so many elites in the US that we are just normal.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NOTXAPTAP
To the OP....if it makes you feel any better, I've been 1K forever. 2 years ago I did what you did to try to hit GS. Didn't happen and now I look back at all the silly connections and wasted time and wonder what I was thinking. 1K is no big deal. You get to line up in Group 1 with half of the passengers on the plane. Upgrades are rare. Upgrade certificates, for me, are worthless as there is never anything available when I book and I'd rather not chance it, so I just book first class. Maybe that's what they had in mind with these things. There have been times when I've had 30-40 Regional and Global upgrades in my account and didn't use any of them because of the lack of availability...even if the cabin is empty when I book.
But, I doubt if any airline is any better. Is what it is. Would rather keep the majority of my miles with United as their partners seem to have pretty good business availability in places we want to visit on vacation. That said, I'm now platinum on American and fly Delta, Jet Blue, and even Southwest if I don't have to connect. Went from close to $50k on united (not good enough for GS) to just over $20k the past couple of years. Always enough for 1k...not worth the aggravation beyond.
Yep, good points.

For me, the extra legroom at booking, is by far the most important thing. I should just view the rest of the stuff as a bonus. Unfortunately my work does not pay for E+, so I still have to have UA Gold or equivalent on any airline to get that number one priority.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:51 pm

I'm top tier on all the hotel chains and almost never get upgraded to a suite in the US. They almost always give me a "nice" normal room, but not a suite. Outside the US it is a different story - I get suites almost everywhere I stay. I was just in India and got huge suites at the Marriott and Ritz Carlton. I guess there are so many elites in the US that we are just normal.
I don't disagree that I get upgrades overseas far more often. Its OT, but one detail about *wood, is that each property keeps tabs on how many stays you have had in THAT PROPERTY. When they have a suite to give away, the tie breaker is (so I have been told) stays in that property. Having been in their system for 2000+ nights, often in the same properties, I usually win the tie breaker.

E.g. at the LeMaridian PHL, I almost always get a "mini-suite"; I've gotten the big three room suite twice. Ditto the W SEA, I almost always get a "mini-suite" , I've gotten the huge three room suite on the top floor twice in probably 50 says.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
That is odd, I have about a 90% suite upgrade record with Hilton. Particularly when I take my daughter to Orlando using points used earned through work (about 10 times per year). Hilton Orlando, Bonnet Creek etc... I book a 30k queen room and always get upgraded to a suite (although living in West Palm, we have the luxury of going when it is less busy).

I also always get upgraded in SAC, AUS, Albany, Richmond and Seattle and about 60% of the time in NYC.

Likewise LHR too.

My best ever (SO lucky) was a free award ticket from the Citi card and I used it at the Hilton Park Lane London and got upgraded to a 3,000 pound suite , in summer,that was something special. The saddest thing is just how bad the US lounges are over the UK ones (not been to any other international Hilton, so cannot compare with anywhere else). Except Seattle recently which was free, I have to pay for my beer and wine (no spirits), at 5 bucks a pop, not really that much of a perk. In Uk, You get get really decent options of Gin, Vodka, Brandy, Scotch etc, all free.

Originally Posted by getagb

I’m a GS flying tomorrow on an $850 one-way domestic fare and I can’t even get a seat assignment; Economy was oversold when I booked the ticket two weeks ago 😛. 1K/GS is truly valuable for many reasons but CPU is not one of them.
What are the perks of GS over 1K? It seems like a secret club (cue funny handshake lol)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 28, 2018 at 8:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by simonoaks
That is odd, I have about a 90% suite upgrade record with Hilton. Particularly when I take my daughter to Orlando using points used earned through work (about 10 times per year). Hilton Orlando, Bonnet Creek etc... I book a 30k queen room and always get upgraded to a suite (although living in West Palm, we have the luxury of going when it is less busy).

I also always get upgraded in SAC, AUS, Albany, Richmond and Seattle and about 60% of the time in NYC.

Likewise LHR too.

My best ever (SO lucky) was a free award ticket from the Citi card and I used it at the Hilton Park Lane London and got upgraded to a 3,000 pound suite , in summer,that was something special. The saddest thing is just how bad the US lounges are over the UK ones (not been to any other international Hilton, so cannot compare with anywhere else). Except Seattle recently which was free, I have to pay for my beer and wine (no spirits), at 5 bucks a pop, not really that much of a perk. In Uk, You get get really decent options of Gin, Vodka, Brandy, Scotch etc, all free.
Not sure what to say on Hilton. In my last 50 US stays I've gotten a suite less than 5 times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.