Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
I had the same happen to me last year - I fly just enough on United to maintain my 1K status and then fly the rest on most convenient / best for my schedule flights. Last year 113 flights United 39 on AA / SWA

I refuse to get on a CRJ200 so United has lost at least 10 flights this year from LAX - ABQ, I find it easier to just understand United DOES NOT CARE - get what you can from them and move on.

Originally Posted by ordflyer18
I have an M fare on a flight out of ORD on 03/12. Booked it on 03/06 and yet to clear thru the instant upgrade. They are offering an upgrade for $139- What's the point of offering an instant upgrade if they have no intention of opening the fare class and upgrading others before me?
All GPUs/RPUs applied this year have not cleared. All RPUs/GPUs applied for the last 4 months of 2017 did not clear.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ordflyer18
I have an M fare on a flight out of ORD on 03/12. Booked it on 03/06 and yet to clear thru the instant upgrade. They are offering an upgrade for $139- What's the point of offering an instant upgrade if they have no intention of opening the fare class and upgrading others before me?
All GPUs/RPUs applied this year have not cleared. All RPUs/GPUs applied for the last 4 months of 2017 did not clear.
I buy mostly M or B fares and I haven't had an instant upgrade in more than 6 months. Like most aspects of the published upgrade program United has eliminated them on any flight they think they could upsell first for $139. United is hoping people like us buy expensive tickets thinking it will give us upgrade priority, knowing they plan to up-sell the upgrades, generating a little more short-term revenue.

What I do is a few days before the flight check the price of first and it is frequently less than my refundable coach ticket. I switch it and usually get money back. You should check the price of a one-way first ticket. Most M fares are refundable so it doesn't cost anything to switch it to first.

I just did this for a roundtrip to NY in April. When I booked it I needed refundable so I booked $700 M each way. Even though first was empty there was no PN space to upgrade into. I just switched the tickets to A fares and got back money.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I buy mostly M or B fares and I haven't had an instant upgrade in more than 6 months. Like most aspects of the published upgrade program United has eliminated them on any flight they think they could upsell first for $139. United is hoping people like us buy expensive tickets thinking it will give us upgrade priority, knowing they plan to up-sell the upgrades, generating a little more short-term revenue.

What I do is a few days before the flight check the price of first and it is frequently less than my refundable coach ticket. I switch it and usually get money back. You should check the price of a one-way first ticket. Most M fares are refundable so it doesn't cost anything to switch it to first.
If the difference you're getting back is more than the buy-up displacing your M-up, me thinks UA is being pretty stupid. On the other hand, maybe a lot of MBYers anticipating no upgrade aren't (or can't be) as diligent as you.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If the difference you're getting back is more than the buy-up displacing your M-up, me thinks UA is being pretty stupid. On the other hand, maybe a lot of MBYers anticipating no upgrade aren't (or can't be) as diligent as you.
Making that change likely turns a refundable, flexible fare into a nonrefundable, inflexible fare with a change fee. Many people who purchase Y/B/M fares do so specifically because they need / want the flexibility.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Pretty sure GS members cannot just call UA GS and complain about not getting their favorite seat. It just doesn't work that way.
Have had the same thing happen - and it was presented as an operational change - except I saw the GS get given his boarding pass as I was behind him in line.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
Making that change likely turns a refundable, flexible fare into a nonrefundable, inflexible fare with a change fee. Many people who purchase Y/B/M fares do so specifically because they need / want the flexibility.
Correct - it converts a refundable coach ticket into a non-refundable first class ticket. This is why I usually wait until I know my trip is solid.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
Originally Posted by bldr1k

I just did this for a roundtrip to NY in April. When I booked it I needed refundable so I booked $700 M each way. Even though first was empty there was no PN space to upgrade into. I just switched the tickets to A fares and got back money.
Unfortunately, I am not allowed to book First class under any circumstances (company policy, even if F< Economy which could have been in this case)
I also haven't seen any CPUs in recent times. Pretty much the best benefits for me are the 1k helpdesk(has saved my rear several times, especially the one time where a *A airline just cancelled my ticket without any notification less than 12 hours before i was to board the plane) and 11X fares
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

UA isn't stupid - very few people do this. Almost all US corporations require people to purchase coach for domestic travel, and some allow refundable. United knows this. So instead of upgrading those people they try to sell First for a few more $.

The effect it is having (with people like me) is that if I know my trip is not going to change, I buy the cheapest ticket instead of a refundable.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am also a noncitizen so this is good to know that same procedures seem to apply.

Separately how do you know when GE expires? Is it on the card or do you get an email?

Keeping with the topic, pity 1K benefits no longer include the GE fee.
I found out when I suddenly did not get pre-check after 100% 5 years of getting it lol. But yes, it is on the card, and also you can log into to GOES website and see.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Yes, it's there because of the Chase/UA credit card and the fact that you have (any level of) Premier status, not solely because you're a 1K. That being said, being 1K does have it's advantage in that your place in the upgrade queue on an award ticket is after all paid 1Ks, but higher than paid Plats.
and my UG came through. Benefit of 1K of which I was not aware. Will now use my UA branded card for all award tickets.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
and my UG came through. Benefit of 1K of which I was not aware. Will now use my UA branded card for all award tickets.
You don't need to use the card to be eligible for a CPU.

The only benefit that is dependent on use of the card is the free bag.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Is it usual/ unusual (never used non CPU upgrades before ) to be no.1 on wait list for my LAX to EWR flight on 28th March 0600, with 11 seats remaining and not clear?
Likewise, same question, for my 2nd April EWR to LHR 2100 flight, number 1 on upgrade list with 27 seats remaining.

Using your collective experience of how RPU/GPUs work, what would you say my chances of clearing are, on these flights ?

I spoke to the 1K desk and they said chances are good , but you never know.

I just want to know if it is worth investigating further on where to sit on a 767-400 , and a 757-200 , so I can jump on the best seat if they clear. thx

thx
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Is it usual/ unusual (never used non CPU upgrades before ) to be no.1 on wait list for my LAX to EWR flight on 28th March 0600, with 11 seats remaining and not clear? ....
easily yes. Most seats will eventually be sold and the rest will go to GS and few non-GS, if any will be upgraded (1Ks on higher fares). LAX-EWR there is some chance for an upgrade but small.

Additionally, you have no idea you are #1 for a flight that far out. And many seats are sold in the last few days.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Is it usual/ unusual (never used non CPU upgrades before ) to be no.1 on wait list for my LAX to EWR flight on 28th March 0600, with 11 seats remaining and not clear?
Likewise, same question, for my 2nd April EWR to LHR 2100 flight, number 1 on upgrade list with 27 seats remaining.

Using your collective experience of how RPU/GPUs work, what would you say my chances of clearing are, on these flights ?

I spoke to the 1K desk and they said chances are good , but you never know.

I just want to know if it is worth investigating further on where to sit on a 767-400 , and a 757-200 , so I can jump on the best seat if they clear. thx

thx
1. It is not unusual to be WLd on those flights until the gate. SFO/LAX<>EWR in particularly is a notoriously difficult upgrade. At busy times, EWR<>LHR can be essentially impossible also, though Monday night should clear without too much trouble.

2. How do you know you are "no. 1"? Agents aren't supposed to disclose details, and have been known to say essentially anything to make you go away (I actually thought they'd lost the ability to see rankings altogether, and can only see a list in alphabetical order with status listed also). "Odds look good" is a similarly meaningless phrase.

3. Go for bulkhead J seats on both if you clear in advance and you won't be disappointed. But if you clear at the gate, of course, your options are limited.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfo789
1. It is not unusual to be WLd on those flights until the gate. SFO/LAX<>EWR in particularly is a notoriously difficult upgrade. At busy times, EWR<>LHR can be essentially impossible also, though Monday night should clear without too much trouble.

2. How do you know you are "no. 1"? Agents aren't supposed to disclose details, and have been known to say essentially anything to make you go away (I actually thought they'd lost the ability to see rankings altogether, and can only see a list in alphabetical order with status listed also). "Odds look good" is a similarly meaningless phrase.

3. Go for bulkhead J seats on both if you clear in advance and you won't be disappointed. But if you clear at the gate, of course, your options are limited.
Ok, thx.

So my trip to LHR could be 'promising ' but lax ewr - do not hold my breath ? lol

I was on the phone with 1k, learning how upgrades work (W fare minimum , checking you get GPU back if domestic leg clears but international doesn't etc), and she said 'let me take a look' and she told me I was number 1 on GPU upgrade list for LHR flight and number 2 on LAX flight.

Can only go by what they told me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.