Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dnp987
...I haven't seen NRSA yet...what's that acronym?
Non-revenue, space available. Basically employees who (because of their contracts) can be assigned an unoccupied coach, business, or first seat (if available) near departure time. You'll often see their names both on the standby and upgrade waitlists within 24 hours of departure. On both, they'll be behind all revenue passengers.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 23, 2018 at 9:39 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Non-revenue, space available. Basically employees who (because of their contracts) can be assigned an unoccupied coach, business, or first seat (if available) near departure time. You'll often see their names both on the standby and upgrade waitlists within 24 hours of departure.
Aka steal my seat. I have had a few examples of NRSA + 1 in cahoots with gate agent have the seat assignment changed ( often poaching a 1K paying seat) so that NRSA with traveling companion can sit together. . I have documented examples, and reported this to 1K Voice/United. . The incidents have ended up in the file of the employee. I can think of at least 3+ incidents, almost all on INTL business class flights.

I often have the nicest seat on the plane, and I got so sick of my seat getting stolen by either a United employee or the Global Services rep accommodating a VIP. I stopped flying UA regularly in 2015.

I got so sick of it, ( towards the end) I started confronting the pax ( after the plane took off) and ask the culprit, "How did you get your seat?"

Last edited by OpenSky; Feb 23, 2018 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:11 pm

Are you familiar enough with their benefits?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OpenSky

II will say though that in the grand scheme of things, 1K is not worth it unless you fly a lot of domestic, like 2 trips a week, between 5-8 trips a month. I dare say a weekly commuter benefits from the program are somewhat borderline ( its highly subjective), but also bear in mind, premium cabin pricing domestically is a lot less now, these days I would just buy to sit up front because its not that outrageously expensive as it once was.
The last few years I've been Gold, as my business travel decreased. However, for several years before that and I'd say I saw value as a domestic traveler well before 2 trip per week. I would usually end the year between 75-90 segments, approximately 40 trips per year. I was upgraded at nearly a 70% rate, although to be fair I tried to avoid the heaviest commute times when possible. But the real value I got was when something went wrong. There are certain times in your life where being able to change a flight or get special treatment in IRROPS so that you're able to get home after a long week are just invaluable. I was also able, through careful planning, to use my GPU's every year for my personal vacation travel.

All those things plus a UA Club membership made 90 segments a year much more tolerable and less stressful. I have lower expectations as a Gold, and UA generally meets them at that level. For me, I'm not chasing a higher status if I'm not going to be really close due to work anyway. But I think there's a ton of value that 1K's take for granted, and I now sometimes miss. What lower status has caused me to do, as you've mentioned, is buy those cheap P fares a little more often now.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I love being a 1K, and I find the benefits very valuable. I average around 150K PQM/120 PQS every year and I find the 2 extra GPUs to be a great add-on. My CPU success rate over the last three years (with most trips to/via/from SFO/IAH/EWR) has been about 65% which I don't find terrible at all. GPU success has been 100% as they're all for international leisure travel so I can be flexible and hunt for available R space. Ground/phone customer service has really been pretty good over the last couple years, and there are only a handful of instances where I've not been happy. In-flight service has improved as well, IMO; there have been a couple outliers on INTL flights with more senior crews but overall I've been pleased. I can't fathom moving to AA or DL and having a drastically better experience.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
no offense to the OP but either he suddenly woke up in 2004 or he didn't read the 1K benefits sections good enough.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Anyway, so far this year, I have had quite a few bad surprises, in this order:

1. Not seeing any more upgrades than I did as a Plat - even on a 777 ORD - EWR flight where 28 people cleared before me !
You already miss the golden age of 1K. Before 2009, my 1K upgrade rates were 99%. After the merge, the upgrade rate is very low unless you are a GS.

2. I found out there is no complimentary upgrade for SFO/LAX to ERW - rip off !
3. And this is the biggest shock - I just tried to upgrade a LHR to EWR flight and found out that you have to have a certain FREAKING ticket class to use the 'free GPUs'!!!! Seriously, I did not even know that. So my K ticket is useless , but she said I can pay an extra 300 bucks to get the minimum W ticket!! So, not all my GPUs (which was what I chased 1k for in the first place ) are pretty worthless as it means paying an extra 400 bucks for a ticket just to freaking use them. WHat use is that?!!
UA has published this information online and you should read it before complain.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj

I’m a 100% domestic 1K, and have to say ... United is quite good to me. Excellent, in fact, for who I am and what I spend. To the point where I wonder if they actually net a profit on me.

Let’s break it down. Assume my PQD spend is $20k. Certainly enough to make 1K but nowhere near GS level. Let’s give United a generous 10% margin on me. That’s $2K in profit they’ve made on me all year. Now, realistically, how much do I expect them to “kick back” to me in benefits for that $2K? Each “hard” dollar they spend on me reduces that margin ... Assume I’m calling the 1K desk weekly. Which of course I expect them to answer right away, keeping staffing levels (and cost) up.

Curious what the average call-handling cost is? For arguments’ sake, let’s benchmark it at $10/call. That’s $520 out of the $2K profit right there. Just for answering the phone on the 1K desk. Nevermind any of the “other” 1K perks.

​so my point is ... sure, 1K’s spend more than average, but we cost more than average, too. I’m sure we call in more than the average customer, leverage “the system” more, make flight changes, use upgrades, get fed for free in economy, etc. All of those have a hard cost.

I’m not a finance guy but I doubt United makes a killing on my travel. I’m covering expenses I’m sure but making huge bank? Probably not ... so yeah, the benefits are kinda commensurate with that. GS is a whole different level. They buy more expensive (higher margin) tickets - more margin, more benefits.

Just like buying a Cadillac vs a Buick. I’ve got one of each and while both are good, the Cadillac dealership “experience” is a bit better ... simply because there’s more margin in that vehicle than the Buick.
If you believe they are only making 10% profit on you, you are sadly mistaken.

Also, how do you benchmark the cost of a call at $10 a call?!? over 52 calls a year? I suppose this number would be fair if you're speaking to them for on average for 45mins-1 hour? Otherwise that number is absurd as well. If you're gonna come to the table with numbers at least be reasonable.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jr0ck
If you believe they are only making 10% profit on you, you are sadly mistaken.

Also, how do you benchmark the cost of a call at $10 a call?!? over 52 calls a year? I suppose this number would be fair if you're speaking to them for on average for 45mins-1 hour? Otherwise that number is absurd as well. If you're gonna come to the table with numbers at least be reasonable.

Do you know the average call-handling cost for a call center? Especially onshore? $10 is fairly conservative, especially given the length of a typical call.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Yes, but the profit already takes into account all of United's operating costs such as running the 1K call center. At least in my definition of "profit".
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iapetus
I'm a first-time 1K this year. And I'm pretty happy with it. I've been upgraded twice on widebody flights -- FCO-ORD (GPU); IAH-LAX(CPU) -- so far this year, and it was pretty nice. But perhaps my expectations were more commensurate with reality? And I definitely feel as though United personnel mean it a little more when they thank me for my business.

My GPU may not clear for my ORD-MUC flight next month. But I really like the idea that it might. That was something I never had until 1K.

I should cross the million-mile mark in early 2019. I'm hoping that make 1K this year 'cause I'd much rather gift mrs. iapetus 1K status than platinum status (though I think she'd appreciate either).
What do you mean by 'gift' ? thx

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
After a couple years of being plat, you maybe should have known that LAX/SFO-EWR isn't a CPU-able route? Otherwise, what would be the point of those RPU's? Or what's the point of "PS".
So you think being able to upgrade a 600-700 economy ticket to a lie-flat business ticket for a 12-14 hour flight is worthless? Um, there are dozens here who would happily take those worthless GPU's. Not worthless IF (and a big IF) it clears. Look at the delta pricing between economy and business.
A few years ago , when I was Plat, I asked a desk attendant about CPU for these routes and she told me only 1k and GS get CPU . That is why I had it stuck in my head as so.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2018 at 10:48 pm Reason: m
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
What do you mean by 'gift' ? thx
Main perk of being a Million-Miler flyer is being able to name a companion to share the same status. That, and lifetime status, the level of which increases w/ each million mile hurdle (capped at lifetime Global Services for 4 million miles). One can be a 1 million miler and have lifetime Gold status, but can earn higher status via the usual route year-to-year.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 23, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Depending on how far out you book, the lowest fare might already be GPU eligible. Last night I book a trip to LHR in 3 weeks and the lowest available fare was "W" and my GPU cleared at booking.
I am from UK, and been living in USA for 6 years, I usually book 3 months in advance as I know my schedule for visiting family. I called the desk and they said it would be $200 change fee plus $87 to change to W fair. I then asked about change fee waiver (as I often change flights domestically within 24 hrs) and she said change fee would be waived at 24 hrs, so I decided to leave it and call back at check in time and see if I can change fare without the change fee. Clearly, I need to read up WAY more on how this all works, however, I will say, that the W fare thing is certainly not mentioned and very well hidden.

Originally Posted by cfischer
It is interesting. All benefits are clearly published on the United websites yet folks complain they did not know about limitations. 5 Years membership at Flyertalk is another good resource to find out what benefits are really worth and what they are not. I feel sorry for the OP for going all the way to 1k just to find out that United really doesn't care all that much about flyers who barely make 1K. It is a reality. If $300 for TATL is breaking the bank for you to use a GPU then UA is not the airline for you, neither is UA likely all that interested in your business.
The key with every loyalty program is to understand where the strengths and weaknesses are. For example, you got to find out where you can use your GPUs. I cleared 10/10 last year, not a single one failed. There are some awesome mileage redemption on UA as well, but you might have to book far in advance or use partner airlines.
I understand what you are saying, but it is not $300 for the TATL, is is $300 EXTRA to change my $700 ticket to W class. Considering you can upgrade for $550 , this seems a waste of $300 PLUS the GPU. Right ?

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Well, I remember being disappointed about the whole W fare thing when I learned about it, too, but that was before I made 1K. Thanks, FT!

But seriously, it does not make much sense to go out of your way to chase status. I fly a lot of UA because they have the routes I need, and for international, is competitive in pricing for business class and has a reasonable amount of upgrade space. Making 2K is just a by- product.

Also, waitlisting is just a crap shoot. I won’t do it any more. I look for R space so I can upgrade with my GPU at booking. Back when I did waitlist, I would do so with miles and copay, so I at least got my cash back if it did not go through.

i still manage to use them all. But with the usual additional W cost, I value them each at about $100 plus 20,000 miles. Certainly not worthless, but not worth thousands apiece, either. Since I don’t feel like I sacrificed anything to get them, that is fine.
Being new to 1k, I clearly have a LOT to learn , and will investigate on here, the upgrade thing. What is 'R space'?

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
As many have pointed out:

1. You really shouldn't have the thought process of 'Because I suffer I deserve things'. It never goes well.
2. The GPU and CPU upgrade rules are well documented in UA. You need W+ to get on the INTL upgradeable fare with GPU. Yes it is a gamble, but you want to pick the dates and routes that will give you the best chance to clear. Now DL and AA have only four at their base level of top tier(EXP, DM). Regarding the premium service(PS) routes, let me tell you DL only recently put the same day departure waitlist for DM after so many complaints of eliminating complimentary upgrade. You can get on AA JFK-LAX/SFO as complimentary, but if you look at the AA forums, people are not happy. It's not that easy to upgrade to J JFK-LAX/SFO. This is why you have the RPU as 1K benefit to apply to upgrade the flights you want. Regarding INTL flights, AA and DL can upgrade you with the lowest fare purchased with eVIP/SWU, but they are not that great.
3. You have to keep up with the redemption reality. Airlines are not stupid anymore. It's not 2008/2009 when airlines were begging people to fly. All the students and business travelers go to summer. That is the peak season, so any destinations are going to be expensive. It is definitely possible you have to pay dynamically priced award amount to redeem for miles. If you are looking to redeem at the lower rate, you must be flexible with your schedule. Experts in this forum may tell you to pay premium cabin discount for summer travel, which nets you 2k USD, but my guts tell me you are not going to like that.
4. Last, if you travel for work, do yourself a favor, please don't fly like FLL-EWR-ORD-DEN-SAC. You can totally just do FLL-ORD/IAH-SAC.

YMMV, Safe travels.
Fair points.

I do PBI - not worth the 1.5 hrs drive to FLL. I do the long routes to avoid the EWR to SFO/LAX route (habit from when a Plat , when I knew there were no CPUs for me (as per my other response, I was told 1K was CPU by a desk person , thus the reason I saw great value in 'chasing' 1k)). Yes , work pays for all my business trips, but 95% of the time it is at a S/K class ticket. UK flights are on my own dime. thx

Originally Posted by seanp7
The industry and economy are changing over time, too. That's influencing air travel - Hand Baggage only fares, international competitors, etc.

My CPU's as a 1K are down. I fly EWR-FLL a lot and with downward pressure on F prices on these routes, CPU's are harder than they used to be (but possible) - and 25% of the time I'll just by a decent First (P) fare. Which means some other 1K is potentially missing out on a CPU, and the cycle continues.

I stay with United:
- Mileage redemptions in J/F to EU and Asia. Great availability, ability to fly LH F easily. Being able to cancel for free is huge.
- Free SDC
- an 'ok' UA J product for GPU's (but one with problems, see other threads).

I do not fly United for great domestic service. The free drink and snack in Y for 1K is actually a simple but nice touch that also keeps me loyal and striving for 1K renewal.

Finally, I'm not sure why anyone thinks they should be able to easily fly F NYC-LAX/SFO for the price of Y. I mean, they're kinda big cities with, you know, wealthy people who pay for F. I submit my RPU with little hope and anything else is just a nice bonus...
I suffer the same problem , I fly PBI to EWR at least 40 segments p/a and rarely get CPU clearing - too many rich people buying F outright.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2018 at 10:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
A few years ago , when I was Plat, I asked a desk attendant about CPU for these routes and she told me only 1k and GS get CPU . That is why I had it stuck in my head as so.
Sadly, this saying holds true and is good life-advice: "Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see."

Further reading:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../upgrades.aspx

Last edited by narvik; Feb 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm Reason: added UA link
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seenitall
So, after a couple of years of being a Plat, this year I am 1k. It was not easy, I did 89 domestic flights to make the PQM and PQD. I live in West Palm Beach so had to do many out-of-the-way routes to just stick with United (is all this status chasing really worth it? I ask myself? I often fly to SAC so would do routes like PBI-ERW-ORD-DEN-SAC etc, just to stick with United.
While I don't like to slag on the OP, I find it a bit surprising that he investigated the rules well enough to figure out circuitous routings in order to maximize the number of PQM he earned, but not to investigate the rules that defined the value of what he earned. There is really nothing different between a MRer's efforts to earn more PQM per PQD than UA's efforts to ensure that the benefits actually earned are not disproportionate to the extra economic value that the MP member provides to UA. It's caveat emptor on both sides.
To clarify, I had to bypass EWR to SFO/LAX as a Plat to maximize a chance of an upgrade (plus I actually do not mind 2/3 stops over a straight 6 hr flight). As I was told as a Plat that the PS routes were CPU for 1k/ GS , I had that in my head. SO when I made 1k then found it to be wrong, it was a genuine surprise ( as I found out at the desk before boarding, when I asked why I was not showing up on the upgrade list ! Lol). So yes, as a Plat, I was a pretty experienced flyer, at 6'5 , the main reason for my loyalty is the extra legroom at booking, as I literally cannot get on a plane without it, as they frown on people standing during takeoff and landing. So arguably , the rest is all a bonus, I guess. Because of the legroom importance, I take notes on every plane type, to the minutest details like: 737s - which have the cutout for legs in row 7, same with A3XX , ERJ 175 ( front row has curtain so fine) 145 (always use exit row) , on most planes, you can use the 'secret ' button on arm rest to lift it up (SO important on 145s) , which seats have the imovable arms ( too narrow for me) , and many many more things I take note of, so I know at booking which seat on ANY aircraft in the UA fleet ( would be really hard to start that all over again with another airline)

Originally Posted by JBord
The last few years I've been Gold, as my business travel decreased. However, for several years before that and I'd say I saw value as a domestic traveler well before 2 trip per week. I would usually end the year between 75-90 segments, approximately 40 trips per year. I was upgraded at nearly a 70% rate, although to be fair I tried to avoid the heaviest commute times when possible. But the real value I got was when something went wrong. There are certain times in your life where being able to change a flight or get special treatment in IRROPS so that you're able to get home after a long week are just invaluable. I was also able, through careful planning, to use my GPU's every year for my personal vacation travel.

All those things plus a UA Club membership made 90 segments a year much more tolerable and less stressful. I have lower expectations as a Gold, and UA generally meets them at that level. For me, I'm not chasing a higher status if I'm not going to be really close due to work anyway. But I think there's a ton of value that 1K's take for granted, and I now sometimes miss. What lower status has caused me to do, as you've mentioned, is buy those cheap P fares a little more often now.
I started out as Gold for first couple of years - before the chase lol - as the only benefit I cared about was the E+ at booking. It did start getting intolerable when group 2 became so HUGE - my biggest gripe with UA is that they dish out group 2 like candy and FF really get screwed - on 3 occasions I had to check my carry and all 3 times , it got lost and had to be posted to me. Then people wonder why the lines at boarding start 30 mins before boarding and how the entire walkway gets blocked by the endless line of group 2s.

Just want to thank everyone for their input. I deservedly (in hindsight) got my butt kicked.

Through lack of research, and trusting what I was told at the desk, I get I set my bar to the point where I was destined to fail.

I will now go away with my tail between my legs and go learn about being a 1k ( and I thought I was pretty fastidious in learning the game , particularly my notes on every seat pro/con on every aircraft I have flown ( which I think is every one except the 747) , including the twin prop from EWR to Ottawa , several times .

I saw several people mention something about ' R space' , is there a thread for that, what is it, it seems important?

two last questions:
1. I have a LAX to PBI via EWR trip on 28th March , I did the Regional request and it said wait list - if it does not clear for LAX to PBI , does that mean the whole thing will cancel or will they try and take it for the EWR - PBI leg (which of course is a rip off and I would never do ) ?
2. I have a work 'club' trip for me and my wife to Fours Seasons in Costa Rica, work is paying for flights (W) class ticket and hotel and I have booked us 6th March PBI - IAH - LIR (leaving 7am ) and on the 13th return LIR - IAH - PBI - leaving 1.25pm. The app shows us both as CPU waitlist, my question is, and I would only do it for the outbound leg, should I try and use RPUs to upgrade or is there a good chance the CPUs will clear? If you redeem a RPU , but it turns out you would have cleard CPU anyway, will they CPU upgrade and credit back the RPU?

THANK YOU ALL

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2018 at 10:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.