Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:02 am

At the end of the day, the airlines need to make money. They can't give away a business class ticket from London to NYC for free. It is too expensive for them. So to answer your question, you get what you pay for. United is not making much money off of your plane flights from Palm Beach. They can't give away seats in business.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2018 at 9:54 pm Reason: OT, OMNI content removed
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
In some ways, I'm fortunate that being Asia based, many many of the routes I fly start at W or V, so I don't run into as many problems with the temptation to "buy up" to W just for the chance to waitlist a GPU. However in the case that W isn't the lowest fare in the market, usually the difference in price is significant, not just a couple hundred dollars as you experienced. I'd be happy to pay up $300 for W if I know it'd clear but it's usually much much more than that.

As for award pricing to London, you should have looked at flying *A partners instead of UA. UA isn't often a good value when burning your miles, although it does mean taking a connection in Europe instead of flying direct.

1K is great for people who fly international a lot, but if I were primarily domestic I don't think I'd go through the trouble of chasing it. You've experienced exactly the reasons why. Of the 3, personally I'd go for AA Exec Platinum if I were mostly a domestic flyer, but OneWorld is brutal for international economy fares and is much smaller than *A.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by narvik
I read it as $10k additional personal spend to reach qualification.
Correct
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Another DYKWIA...

Originally Posted by simonoaks
1. Not seeing any more upgrades than I did as a Plat - even on a 777 ORD - EWR flight where 28 people cleared before me !
Because those are not CPU, but instead RPU/GPU upgrade.

It is absolutely normal the upgrade chance is poor for the first few months of each year, as everyone wants to burn their RPUs/GPUs before expiration.

2. I found out there is no complimentary upgrade for SFO/LAX to ERW - rip off !
SFO/LAX-EWR are p.s. routes. So it is normal not to have CPU.

Even the pre-p.s. era, SFO/LAX-EWR were difficult to upgrade even with RPUs/GPUs.

(Seriously - many do buy J fares.)

3. And this is the biggest shock - I just tried to upgrade a LHR to EWR flight and found out that you have to have a certain FREAKING ticket class to use the 'free GPUs'!!!! Seriously, I did not even know that. So my K ticket is useless , but she said I can pay an extra 300 bucks to get the minimum W ticket!! So, not all my GPUs (which was what I chased 1k for in the first place ) are pretty worthless as it means paying an extra 400 bucks for a ticket just to freaking use them. WHat use is that?!!
I know this before even being a 1K. I had been stuck in Platinum for years instead of 1K because of the GPU restriction.

4. Not that is exactly related to this, but still something else to be annoyed at my stupid airline loyalty, I looked at using points to visit UK in summer and they jump up from the usual 25k to 70K , each way! Again, what is the point of collecting these miles, then not even being able to use them when you actually need them ???!!
Seriously - 25k OW for N. America > Europe? Which year was that award chart published?

Also - summer? Award travel in summer is always a challenge.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Not sure how these rules and GPU do more harm than good. I had 9 GPU expire last year because I usually fly paid business and I had no other people to give them to. In the end, these GPU are just additional benefits for one's business with the airline. Perhaps they're not favorable to your travel patterns; you can always jump to AA where you only receive 4 unrestricted SWU or DL where you can select your benefit.
a little piece on me dies when I read 9 unused GPU, I Wonder what the usage percentage United counts on when they give them out.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I try not to think of upgrades as freebies. Rather, I think of them as getting business class at a discounted price. If you can immediately confirm the upgrade (because R is available on your flight), a GPU or mileage upgrade is a pretty good deal, especially if there's a large price difference between economy and business on the route you're traveling.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Dan Weber
At the end of the day, the airlines need to make money. They can't give away a business class ticket from London to NYC for free. It is too expensive for them. So to answer your question, you get what you pay for. It is very similar to Obamacare or the Russian influence on social media. Do you really think we can pay for everybody's health care for free or that all of these nonsense advertisements are for real. United is not making much money off of your plane flights from Palm Beach. They can't give away seats in business.
Well they can and do for non-revs if space is open. A $500 economy ticket is still more money then someone using their flight benefits.

Just my .02 too, but even if you have to pay a $400 difference or something similar to upfare to a W to play the lottery (or even confirm it) - I don't think a US business class product is worth that much. $400 to (if you don't have status) access an okay lounge (or slightly above average if @ ORD)...really you're paying for the benefit to sleep and not sit next to someone. I'd much rather suck it up for 10 hours. The only way I see myself using my GPUs this year is when my employer books my tickets, which I'm guessing will be at or around W fares.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
Well they can and do for non-revs if space is open. A $500 economy ticket is still more money then someone using their flight benefits.

Just my .02 too, but even if you have to pay a $400 difference or something similar to upfare to a W to play the lottery (or even confirm it) - I don't think a US business class product is worth that much. $400 to (if you don't have status) access an okay lounge (or slightly above average if @ ORD)...really you're paying for the benefit to sleep and not sit next to someone. I'd much rather suck it up for 10 hours. The only way I see myself using my GPUs this year is when my employer books my tickets, which I'm guessing will be at or around W fares.
Interesting point. I assume that means you'd also agree they should do more domestic TOD's as a CPU is zero incremental revenue to them, but a TOD is $10 of free money into Kriby's pocket
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Interesting point. I assume that means you'd also agree they should do more domestic TOD's as a CPU is zero incremental revenue to them, but a TOD is $10 of free money into Kriby's pocket
From a business perspective, more money is more money. From a FF perspective, of course I wouldn't want to see that, and that could potentially alter the habits of some Frequent Flyers to take their business elsewhere (like every other move that an airline makes). Only UA knows what its worth to offer. Not to the extreme example you mentioned, but TODs seem to be getting more aggressive in pricing.

My point wasn't the $ value of tickets or incremental revenue for UA, just that airlines do give away seats for a small fee to employees who use their benefits.

If I could confirm an upgrade on a $500 ticket (or at least wait-list it, like at AA), I would do more splurging on random flights. As it stands now, no way I would pay an extra $400+ of my own money on top of the base economy price, even if there was confirmable space.

Last edited by BThumme; Feb 23, 2018 at 6:57 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by OpenSky
II will say though that in the grand scheme of things, 1K is not worth it unless you fly a lot of domestic, like 2 trips a week, between 5-8 trips a month. I dare say a weekly commuter benefits from the program are somewhat borderline ( its highly subjective), but also bear in mind, premium cabin pricing domestically is a lot less now, these days I would just buy to sit up front because its not that outrageously expensive as it once was.
I’m a 100% domestic 1K, and have to say ... United is quite good to me. Excellent, in fact, for who I am and what I spend. To the point where I wonder if they actually net a profit on me.

Let’s break it down. Assume my PQD spend is $20k. Certainly enough to make 1K but nowhere near GS level. Let’s give United a generous 10% margin on me. That’s $2K in profit they’ve made on me all year. Now, realistically, how much do I expect them to “kick back” to me in benefits for that $2K? Each “hard” dollar they spend on me reduces that margin ... Assume I’m calling the 1K desk weekly. Which of course I expect them to answer right away, keeping staffing levels (and cost) up.

Curious what the average call-handling cost is? For arguments’ sake, let’s benchmark it at $10/call. That’s $520 out of the $2K profit right there. Just for answering the phone on the 1K desk. Nevermind any of the “other” 1K perks.

​so my point is ... sure, 1K’s spend more than average, but we cost more than average, too. I’m sure we call in more than the average customer, leverage “the system” more, make flight changes, use upgrades, get fed for free in economy, etc. All of those have a hard cost.

I’m not a finance guy but I doubt United makes a killing on my travel. I’m covering expenses I’m sure but making huge bank? Probably not ... so yeah, the benefits are kinda commensurate with that. GS is a whole different level. They buy more expensive (higher margin) tickets - more margin, more benefits.

Just like buying a Cadillac vs a Buick. I’ve got one of each and while both are good, the Cadillac dealership “experience” is a bit better ... simply because there’s more margin in that vehicle than the Buick.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat
That thread came up as "not found"...could you expand a bit? Also, I haven't seen NRSA yet...what's that acronym?

Originally Posted by Kacee
Nope. Will just increase opportunities to post here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ever-seen.html

Interestingly on my DL flight JFK-SFO Monday evening they cleared a half dozen NRSA into F. Not gonna see that on UA.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: United Airlines, National, Holiday Inn, Marriot
The waiving of fees and the ability to redeposit miles is of huge value to me.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by The DooDah Man
The waiving of fees and the ability to redeposit miles is of huge value to me.
For me as well - two fairly normal situations - ticket for me that I perceive as too expensive but the award amount is reasonable so I get an award ticket and if the price drops to what I would pay, I buy and cancel the award. I have a son who is a firefighter who I sometimes give mileage tickets and if his schedule changes, I can just cancel it. I also like no fee for SDC.
The DooDah Man likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
The industry and economy are changing over time, too. That's influencing air travel - Hand Baggage only fares, international competitors, etc.

My CPU's as a 1K are down. I fly EWR-FLL a lot and with downward pressure on F prices on these routes, CPU's are harder than they used to be (but possible) - and 25% of the time I'll just by a decent First (P) fare. Which means some other 1K is potentially missing out on a CPU, and the cycle continues.

I stay with United:
- Mileage redemptions in J/F to EU and Asia. Great availability, ability to fly LH F easily. Being able to cancel for free is huge.
- Free SDC
- an 'ok' UA J product for GPU's (but one with problems, see other threads).

I do not fly United for great domestic service. The free drink and snack in Y for 1K is actually a simple but nice touch that also keeps me loyal and striving for 1K renewal.

Finally, I'm not sure why anyone thinks they should be able to easily fly F NYC-LAX/SFO for the price of Y. I mean, they're kinda big cities with, you know, wealthy people who pay for F. I submit my RPU with little hope and anything else is just a nice bonus...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
So, after a couple of years of being a Plat, this year I am 1k. It was not easy, I did 89 domestic flights to make the PQM and PQD. I live in West Palm Beach so had to do many out-of-the-way routes to just stick with United (is all this status chasing really worth it? I ask myself? I often fly to SAC so would do routes like PBI-ERW-ORD-DEN-SAC etc, just to stick with United.
While I don't like to slag on the OP, I find it a bit surprising that he investigated the rules well enough to figure out circuitous routings in order to maximize the number of PQM he earned, but not to investigate the rules that defined the value of what he earned. There is really nothing different between a MRer's efforts to earn more PQM per PQD than UA's efforts to ensure that the benefits actually earned are not disproportionate to the extra economic value that the MP member provides to UA. It's caveat emptor on both sides.
ContinentalFan and Two Bee like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2018 at 10:50 pm Reason: repaired quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.