Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Is it usual/ unusual (never used non CPU upgrades before ) to be no.1 on wait list for my LAX to EWR flight on 28th March 0600, with 11 seats remaining and not clear?
Likewise, same question, for my 2nd April EWR to LHR 2100 flight, number 1 on upgrade list with 27 seats remaining.

Using your collective experience of how RPU/GPUs work, what would you say my chances of clearing are, on these flights ?

I spoke to the 1K desk and they said chances are good , but you never know.

I just want to know if it is worth investigating further on where to sit on a 767-400 , and a 757-200 , so I can jump on the best seat if they clear. thx

thx
At one point that LAX-EWR flight was R9. I couldn't believe my eyes. I pounced on it, and R immediately dropped to 5 instead of 8. I'm thinking that a 6am flight on a Wednesday where R was 9 at one point is a good sign, but certainly no guarantee. Good luck! Maybe I'll see you up front!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
This thread reminded me to renew my Global Entry before it expires in a month. Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Ok, thx.

So my trip to LHR could be 'promising ' but lax ewr - do not hold my breath ? lol

I was on the phone with 1k, learning how upgrades work (W fare minimum , checking you get GPU back if domestic leg clears but international doesn't etc), and she said 'let me take a look' and she told me I was number 1 on GPU upgrade list for LHR flight and number 2 on LAX flight.
Sorry, just took a look at inventory. 6am LAX-EWR on 3/28 looks fairly promising: booked 17/28, J9 D9 Z8 P0, and pretty light in E+. Better stil, unlike SFO which has seen big capacity cuts on early-morning transcon capacity, there are three LAX-EWR between 6 and 8am. P0 is a bad sign, in that they think they can sell relatively pricier fares, but at least keeps those discount buyers out of your J cabin. Odds maybe ~30-40%? PS can be very volatile, so you might end up clearing very easily or missing by a mile, but you stand a shot.

9pm EWR-LHR on 4/2 looks excellent for you -- 13/39 is a great filled-to-unfilled ratio, P9 is as good a sign as you typically see before T-2 weeks on EWR<>LHR, and Monday nights are pretty quiet. Probably 80-90%, unless something irrops/event-related happens to cause a sudden spike in J demand on that flight. Nonzero chance you clear some time (like days) before departure, in whcih case get 1A or 1L

It's possible phone agent was being truthful/accurate, but I've heard so many different stories that I would take any pre-check-in upgrade list status with a giant pinch of salt.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SS255

At one point that LAX-EWR flight was R9. I couldn't believe my eyes. I pounced on it, and R immediately dropped to 5 instead of 8. I'm thinking that a 6am flight on a Wednesday where R was 9 at one point is a good sign, but certainly no guarantee. Good luck! Maybe I'll see you up front!
REALLY?, I have been checking it twice a day for 3 weeks. Does it not clear the GPU as soon as it goes to R9?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
REALLY?, I have been checking it twice a day for 3 weeks. Does it not clear the GPU as soon as it goes to R9?
It should clear at the sweep, which unfortunately UA only does in the middle of the night (I believe). It's possible for R availability to open and then close between daily sweeps, so make sure to monitor it. In my case, I kept watching it daily, and then when I saw it open up I called to have an agent remove an expiring GPU from a reservation which I presumed would fail, and clear me into J on this flight. (I had her put an RPU on the other flight, and it failed by a country mile.)
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Non-revenue, space available. Basically employees who (because of their contracts) can be assigned an unoccupied coach, business, or first seat (if available) near departure time. You'll often see their names both on the standby and upgrade waitlists within 24 hours of departure. On both, they'll be behind all revenue passengers.
Actually, NRSA benefits don't have anything to do with contracts, its an employment benefit to all company employees based on employment status. If you are referring to union contracts, those apply to many of the front line and operational employees, but only pilot and FA contracts have specifics about travel in them.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by bldr1k
The effect it is having (with people like me) is that if I know my trip is not going to change, I buy the cheapest ticket instead of a refundable.
I always buy the cheapest domestic fare, even if my dates might change. I have found that paying the change fees and re-faring almost always works-out to be cheaper in the long run. Although, on occasion, I have had to use awards to fill gaps, like with one trip to CPR, where the cheapest o/w fare 3 days out was $969-, but which was available as a "Saver" award at 12.5K miles.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfo789
Sorry, just took a look at inventory. 6am LAX-EWR on 3/28 looks fairly promising: booked 17/28, J9 D9 Z8 P0, and pretty light in E+. Better stil, unlike SFO which has seen big capacity cuts on early-morning transcon capacity, there are three LAX-EWR between 6 and 8am. P0 is a bad sign, in that they think they can sell relatively pricier fares, but at least keeps those discount buyers out of your J cabin. Odds maybe ~30-40%? PS can be very volatile, so you might end up clearing very easily or missing by a mile, but you stand a shot.

9pm EWR-LHR on 4/2 looks excellent for you -- 13/39 is a great filled-to-unfilled ratio, P9 is as good a sign as you typically see before T-2 weeks on EWR<>LHR, and Monday nights are pretty quiet. Probably 80-90%, unless something irrops/event-related happens to cause a sudden spike in J demand on that flight. Nonzero chance you clear some time (like days) before departure, in whcih case get 1A or 1L

It's possible phone agent was being truthful/accurate, but I've heard so many different stories that I would take any pre-check-in upgrade list status with a giant pinch of salt.
Got the email, just changed seat to 1A! Thx
sfo789 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:22 am

Is this for LAX-EWR? You got PM.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: *
So then are you still disappointed with 1K?
Imstevek likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: 1K
1. Not seeing any more upgrades than I did as a Plat - even on a 777 ORD - EWR flight where 28 people cleared before me !
Don't expect upgrades on hub-to-hub routes. You'll also have a lot of folks that are connecting to paid int'l J flights out of EWR. You'll also have a high number of 1K/GS. 28 people clearing before a 1K is not uncommon - GS, any elite member on Y/B economy fare, any passenger using an upgrade instrument, and 1K's on a higher fare class will all clear before you.
2. I found out there is no complimentary upgrade for SFO/LAX to ERW - rip off !
PS route
3. And this is the biggest shock - I just tried to upgrade a LHR to EWR flight and found out that you have to have a certain FREAKING ticket class to use the 'free GPUs'!!!! Seriously, I did not even know that. So my K ticket is useless , but she said I can pay an extra 300 bucks to get the minimum W ticket!! So, not all my GPUs (which was what I chased 1k for in the first place ) are pretty worthless as it means paying an extra 400 bucks for a ticket just to freaking use them. WHat use is that?!!
Yeah, I agree this is a huge drawback. This isn't an issue for many folks (I very rarely book early enough to get a fare lower than W).
4. Not that is exactly related to this, but still something else to be annoyed at my stupid airline loyalty, I looked at using points to visit UK in summer and they jump up from the usual 25k to 70K , each way! Again, what is the point of collecting these miles, then not even being able to use them when you actually need them ???!!
I agree it is a lot of miles, but TBH just buy the darn ticket and wait until the opportunity comes up to use your miles. If you travel to Asia at all, I find great opportunities to use my miles (saver) in F on other airlines.

I would agree that 1K isn't really worth it. I didn't re-qualify this year and don't miss it!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by hookthem

I agree it is a lot of miles, but TBH just buy the darn ticket and wait until the opportunity comes up to use your miles. If you travel to Asia at all, I find great opportunities to use my miles (saver) in F on other airlines.

I would agree that 1K isn't really worth it. I didn't re-qualify this year and don't miss it!
But then if these saver awards to Asia are important to a FF, then 1K does get you there quicker with the higher mileage accrual. Maybe a little difference cf Platinum, but certainly not insignificant compared to GM, silver or gold.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SS255
Is this for LAX-EWR? You got PM.
Just LHR....but really hoping to get EWR too. Just looked , 10 seats left......have no idea what my chances are, have no experience of this higher-end game I now find myself playing lol

What does it mean when a flight shows 0J and 0 everything, in the 'details ' tab, but shows 7 open FC seats in the 'seats' map? for e.g my IAH to LAX flight at 0945 on 27th March. thx

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 22, 2018 at 3:20 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
What does it mean when a flight shows 0J and 0 everything, in the 'details ' tab, but shows 7 open FC seats in the 'seats' map? for e.g my IAH to LAX flight at 0945 on 27th March. thx
Where do you see those numbers?

The cable pick site shows 13 seats sold in First Class out of 20. And they are still selling seats on the 9:45 AM flight on March 27 if you were to book it today: F7 A4 JN7, etc....
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... What does it mean when a flight shows 0J and 0 everything, in the 'details ' tab, but shows 7 open FC seats in the 'seats' map? for e.g my IAH to LAX flight at 0945 on 27th March. thx
Some helpful threads are:
Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA explains what each letter means

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ht-2018-a.html discusses how to interpret the Expert Mode data

Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively discusses how waitlisting works
simonoaks likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.