Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it legal/allowed to put a laptop in checked baggage?

Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
is it legal and allowed by United to put a laptop in checked baggage?
Obviously it may not be recommended given the risk of it being damaged or stolen, but I think it should be allowed, given the fact that it is not a "spare" lithium battery.

Is there any specific rule/regulation about laptops in checked baggage?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antoniob
Hello,
is it legal and allowed by United to put a laptop in checked baggage?
Obviously it may not be recommended given the risk of it being damaged or stolen, but I think it should be allowed, given the fact that it is not a "spare" lithium battery.

Is there any specific rule/regulation about laptops in checked baggage?
Yes, it's allowed; the concern is specifically with spare batteries, as people often pack them haphazardly and some people might bring several of them on a flight.

However, it's definitely not advisable for the reasons that you mention. UA's liability for the laptop isn't going to be nearly enough to cover the cost of replacement.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, it is allowed. No, it is not a good idea.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, it is allowed. No, it is not a good idea.
Reminds me of conversation I overheard at lost baggage:
Passenger: I really need my bag found asap. I have 20kgs of frozen meat in there
Agent: Frozen meat!!?? That's not a good idea.
Passenger: It was frozen very well. And there is no rule saying it's not allowed.
Agent: I didn't say it wasn't allowed. I said it wasn't a good idea....
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
The TSA nor FAA prohibit laptops from flying in checked luggage. My unwillingness to spend another $1k+ (to replace both my laptop and iPad Pro) does prohibit it, however.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:22 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by chermorg
The TSA nor FAA prohibit laptops from flying in checked luggage. My unwillingness to spend another $1k+ (to replace both my laptop and iPad Pro) does prohibit it, however.
And remember that airline baggage policies generally do not cover damage / loss of electronics or such items.
buschoi and chermorg like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Hate to revive an old thread, but this isn't worthy of a new one...

I'm transporting a high end set of tools to OGG tomorrow, I assume its ok that the tools can go in the checked bag, but I should put the Li-ion batteries in my carry on bag, correct?

Last edited by COSPILOT; Jan 8, 2020 at 8:09 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:36 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

I'm transporting a high end set of tools to OGG tomorrow, I assume its ok that the tools can go in the checked bag, but I should put the Li-ion batteries in my carry on bag, correct?
yes
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC

Correct, tools can go in checked bag, lithium batteries in carry-on and any terminals protected from contacting other things (coins, other batteries, metal, etc.). Liability in case of loss/damage is reduced or nil as they fall under the electronics and/or tools categories of "high-value", fragile, and perishable items (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...e/fragile.html), so if they must travel I would ensure they are packed in something robust like a pelican case. (I travel with weird stuff all the time)

Reference (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...dangerous.html)

Lithium batteries

You can pack personal devices that have lithium batteries of less than 100-watt hours in your checked and carry-on bags. However, we don’t allow devices like e-cigarettes and personal vaporizers in checked bags.

You can’t pack loose lithium batteries in checked bags. For loose lithium batteries in carry-on bags, you must individually protect each one to prevent short circuiting. To do this, you can place each battery in original retail packaging, separate plastic bags or protective pouches. You can also insulate the batteries by taping over exposed terminals. Spare batteries can’t touch metal objects like coins, keys or jewelry. Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing or putting pressure on the battery as well.

In most cases, you can pack up to two larger lithium batteries (more than 100-watt hours, but not more than 160-watt hours) in carry-on bags if the terminals are properly covered or insulated. If you’re traveling with a battery-operated mobility device, please see our page about special travel needs.

If you check your carry-on bag at the gate, you must remove any lithium batteries and power banks.

For the most up-to-date information about lithium batteries, visit the DOT's Air Travel Tips page and the FAA's website.

Traveling to or from Japan

The Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) has some additional restrictions on batteries and battery-operated items. For more information, see the MLIT website.
ajGoes and battensea like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mapelle621
Correct, tools can go in checked bag, lithium batteries in carry-on and any terminals protected from contacting other things (coins, other batteries, metal, etc.). Liability in case of loss/damage is reduced or nil as they fall under the electronics and/or tools categories of "high-value", fragile, and perishable items (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...e/fragile.html), so if they must travel I would ensure they are packed in something robust like a pelican case. (I travel with weird stuff all the time)

Reference (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...dangerous.html)
Thanks Fastair and mapelle621 confirming what I already thought.

Not worried about the tools themselves, about the only way they can get damaged would be someone running over them with a large truck. They are more durable than a Pelican case. I only know because I once shipped the Pelican case via fedex and it arrived with a large 20" crack in it. It was sub zero temps when I shipped it, so maybe Pelican cases prefer warmer climates.
Dublin_rfk and ajGoes like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I ship tool kits all the time and use FedEx when I can due to the ineptness of the federal lingerie inspectors aka (thousands standing around).
Opening, unwrapping, dumping out of items marked fragile, and on numerous occasions not returning everything back into the cases.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I ship tool kits all the time and use FedEx when I can due to the ineptness of the federal lingerie inspectors aka (thousands standing around).
Opening, unwrapping, dumping out of items marked fragile, and on numerous occasions not returning everything back into the cases.

This is what we do and generally we have better results than checking them as baggage. Much less breakage (Mainly the pelican case handles and corners) and MUCH better tracking info, plus wide variety of pickup options.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
I the past, I did many trips where our demo system (Usually 3 laptops) was either in a road case or a well packed bag (a bunch of foam surrounds) plus a bunch of other stuff. If you pack them right they can handle most situations - i say the soft version fall off a baggage cart once - luckily good packing meant it was ok. This was before the realization that’s li-on batteries are a fire hazard. We’d always put cabling and other things like black curtains for a booth on the outside of the bag. The worst thing that happened was a couple of devices (like powerbars) breaking.

Having said that, would i do it with my own laptop? Hell no

/iain
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I think this is a YMMV situation, I carry a custom pelican 1650 specifically designed to carry it's contents; laptop and SFF desktop included. Batteries come with me on the plane but the benefit of flying with high value items when protected in a proper case is that I'm not waiting around in the Hilton parking lot for FedEx Early AM, 8am is the biggest lie in the world. 80% of my early AM shipments are late and we get refunded 100%, but the pelican always* arrives at the same time as I do.

*It's only been delayed once due to IRROPS.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
I only know because I once shipped the Pelican case via fedex and it arrived with a large 20" crack in it. It was sub zero temps when I shipped it, so maybe Pelican cases prefer warmer climates.
Most pelicans are rated -40f to 210f, this is model dependent but a good reference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.