Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it legal/allowed to put a laptop in checked baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it legal/allowed to put a laptop in checked baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:23 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by rj_flyer
I think this is a YMMV situation, I carry a custom pelican 1650 specifically designed to carry it's contents; laptop and SFF desktop included. Batteries come with me on the plane but the benefit of flying with high value items when protected in a proper case is that I'm not waiting around in the Hilton parking lot for FedEx Early AM, 8am is the biggest lie in the world. 80% of my early AM shipments are late and we get refunded 100%, but the pelican always* arrives at the same time as I do.

*It's only been delayed once due to IRROPS.
Ditto. I have checked in laptop in one of those slim Pelican cases meant for laptops. No problem.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Hate to revive an old thread, but this isn't worthy of a new one...

I'm transporting a high end set of tools to OGG tomorrow, I assume its ok that the tools can go in the checked bag, but I should put the Li-ion batteries in my carry on bag, correct?
Ymmv but I would not check something of value that is insurable via shipping for greater than the marginal cost to replace it.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Laptops and most electronics with installed batteries are ok. That includes tools too and their installed batteries. Just pack them well. The only concern I'd have is if someone decided to steal or "lose" it so make sure your have some insurance and backups. You only need to carry batteries when they are not installed in the equipment
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by rj_flyer
I think this is a YMMV situation, I carry a custom pelican 1650 specifically designed to carry it's contents; laptop and SFF desktop included. Batteries come with me on the plane but the benefit of flying with high value items when protected in a proper case is that I'm not waiting around in the Hilton parking lot for FedEx Early AM, 8am is the biggest lie in the world. 80% of my early AM shipments are late and we get refunded 100%, but the pelican always* arrives at the same time as I do.

*It's only been delayed once due to IRROPS.
Yes it is a YMMV situation. The chances of damage to packed electronics due to tsa inspections or tampering by airline personnel ( a favorite excuse of the tsa) are slim unless said luggage / baggage stands out due to size, weight and complexity of its latching mechanism (with tsa approved Locking system) and contains a dozen smaller re-closeable packages that are labeled in English and is before them on an average of 100 times a year (50 round trips). It only takes ONE time finding your bag next to a bin of its contents on the carousel or ONE time getting to a customer and opening your bag on-site and finding the fragile test equipment inside unwrapped and broken to lose respect for the ‘system’. Or better yet tracking a missing bags only to find out its at your departure point. Held there because tsa discovered something that caused them to page you to their office after your flight departed. Or maybe it’s a DYKWIA situation. Where you just expect things to work as described.

but this is drifting from the original direction of the thread.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by mapelle621
Correct, tools can go in checked bag, lithium batteries in carry-on and any terminals protected from contacting other things (coins, other batteries, metal, etc.)....

Lithium batteries
...If you check your carry-on bag at the gate, you must remove any lithium batteries and power banks.
Funny, in the mad rush right before the door closes when the gate agents or flight attendants are making people check their carry-on bags in the hold because there's no space left in the overhead bins, nobody ever asks about or mentions the issue of spare lithium batteries that might be in those bags.

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Or better yet tracking a missing bags only to find out its at your departure point. Held there because tsa discovered something that caused them to page you to their office after your flight departed.
😠

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.