Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buying up to W to take advantage of available GPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying up to W to take advantage of available GPU

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I believe it's possible, in the strictest definition of the word. I think a determined agent could get the record updated to show either an earlier fare break or -- what I was actually thinking -- to update the flown leg retroactively to W and price the thing.
That's not what OP wants to do. He wants to leave SIN-NRT as a K and only reprice NRT-SFO to W (which is why he thinks waiting until he's flown SIN-NRT will somehow make this possible). I'm nearly certain that cannot be done.

Originally Posted by AceReport
As a data point I was one time able to refare from T to W on a 1/2 RT TATL with no change fee.
There's no question you can refare the 1/2 RT SIN-SFO to W (though it may involve refaring the entire ticket, depending on fare rules). As noted above, that's not what OP is asking about.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:29 pm

FWIW, I've never been charged the fee to switch from K to W. And I've done it a few times. No guarantees, but I've had god success over the past few years.

Also, a ~$350-500 o/w premium for K->W is normal IME. If the R is available I wouldn't hesitate to pay that for the confirmed upgrade.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not what OP wants to do. He wants to leave SIN-NRT as a K and only reprice NRT-SFO to W (which is why he thinks waiting until he's flown SIN-NRT will somehow make this possible). I'm nearly certain that cannot be done.
I think what OP wants to do is "pay as little as possible to make the flight eligible for a GPU," and the answer to that is "refare the entire trip to W." The only reason to try to do this at NRT would be if there were no W availability on SIN-NRT. Introducing a fare break at NRT is pretty much guaranteed to raise the fare substantially.

OP: if Kacee is right, you're barking up the wrong tree. For one thing, I don't even see a K fare published in the SIN-NRT market; the cheapest I see for a Tokyo point of sale, even ignoring all restrictions and eligibility rules, is an S fare for C$280* on a half-round-trip basis. The very cheapest W fare -- eligible only in July, but we're already ignoring the rules here -- is C$525* for a half-round-trip. Meanwhile, the YYC-SIN W fare (which is what you'd be buying, since you're originating in YYC) is about C$800 HRT. So, at best, it's a wash.

* plus taxes, customs fees, etc -- these are just base fares
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I think what OP wants to do is "pay as little as possible to make the flight eligible for a GPU," and the answer to that is "refare the entire trip to W." The only reason to try to do this at NRT would be if there were no W availability on SIN-NRT. Introducing a fare break at NRT is pretty much guaranteed to raise the fare substantially.
I think we are agreeing that OP has to refare SIN-SFO to W, rather than creating a fare break (K to W) at NRT. And if there were no W available SIN-NRT, I'm pretty sure the solution would be to refare SIN-SFO in the next available fare class (e.g., V, Q, or H), rather than breaking the fare. Not only do I believe that breaking the fare retroactively is not possible, I also suspect there would be combinability problems because of the fare restrictions typically applicable to NRT-SFO which, IME, often preclude combination with anything lower than a Q or H on the NRT-SFO segment.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
FWIW, I've never been charged the fee to switch from K to W. And I've done it a few times.
Same, I've never been charged a change fee for upfaring, either to a higher service class or within the same service class, although the fare rules called for a change fee. Same for other *A carriers, although I have to add that I avoid Basic Economy or similar fares which may be more troublesome in this regard.

My understanding is that the GG BUYUP waiver covers all cases of booking class upgrades, as the rationale behind GG BUYUP is to entice the customer to buy up (any buy up), but it could be that the letter of the waiver actually only covers booking class upgrades that also lead to a service class upgrade.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by mozilla
Same, I've never been charged a change fee for upfaring, either to a higher service class or within the same service class, although the fare rules called for a change fee. Same for other *A carriers, although I have to add that I avoid Basic Economy or similar fares which may be more troublesome in this regard.

My understanding is that the GG BUYUP waiver covers all cases of booking class upgrades, as the rationale behind GG BUYUP is to entice the customer to buy up (any buy up), but it could be that the letter of the waiver actually only covers booking class upgrades that also lead to a service class upgrade.
I've been charged. GG BUYUP technically applies only to premium cabin upfares. That said, it is certainly possible for a 1K to get change fee waived as a courtesy for a W upfare, and I would definitely ask.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
I've had the change fee waived when invoking the GGBUYUP ... but have also had CSRs charge me. Probably a hit or miss thing depending in the agent you get.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I've had the change fee waived when invoking the GGBUYUP ... but have also had CSRs charge me. Probably a hit or miss thing depending in the agent you get.
Indeed but GGBuyup is for paid upgrades. Not what the OP is wanting to do. Buy it may work anyway. It all depends who you get on the other end of the phone....
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I actually don't think it's possible. The ticket is priced RT to SIN. You can't retroactively create a fare break.

The realistic options are:

1. Call UA and ask how much to refare to W (and see if they'll waive change fee);
2. See if it's possible to upfare to P;
3. Do a miles + cash upgrade for the NRT-SFO segment.
It is possible, but it would be a K fare to Tokyo, and whatever fare basis that will be for all the flights onwards. A change like this would trigger expensive (B/Y) fares ex-NRT, which dramatically changes the total cost of the ticket.

If you tried to do K on the outbound and W on the return, assuming you have already flown the outbound, then it is also possible.

But if it's the answer to upfare to W from Tokyo, then definitely no.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks everybody for the advice. I guess it looks like I'm out of luck on this one. Hopefully the amount of spare seats means we'll at least be traveling in hobo first class
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
In an ironic twist, my girlfriend just paid $1000 to upgrade herself on the LAX-SIN outbound. I’ll be going in the back and she will be in the front
jjmoore likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.