Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is it like in UA International Economy these days?

What is it like in UA International Economy these days?

Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by hughw
Sure, the flight going out in J was good, but I couldn't sleep anyway.
Originally Posted by bdw1120
Eat rice/carb and pass out from food coma.
bagsy that bread basket.
Originally Posted by PaxALotl
but no so special that I cant sit in the back with everyone else!
Isn't that the point though, that we should all work hard so that we may have the capability to sit up front in a lie flat?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2018 at 3:37 pm Reason: Please attibute quotes -- best to use the multi-quote function
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:46 am

But short of a medical issue, some physical pain or other issue, is it really so bad to just sit for 10 hours and deal with it? Only when compared to the experience up front does it seem so dire in the back.

I watch people lumber aboard at the start of a long-haul, armed with the neck pillows, water bottles, food, their special flying outfit, and a facial expression that would be more appropriate when being led to a firing line. The anticipation of the long-haul has built up in their minds over time. "Here begins this nightmare of travel. Oh what horror this flight will be! What if I can't sleep? What if I'm uncomfortable? The sorry and pity of it all"

Then there are those who just sit down and try to relax and wait for it to be over. That's me. The food is never great, but I usually eat half of what's served and I'm fine. The coffee isn't great but it'll do. I will usually get up and walk around every 90 min, which isn't a problem because it's not so hard to ensure an aisle seat. There are usually some decent movies but I've seen them all because fly the same airlines a lot, but there are worse things than a bad movie. The internet isn't great, but it usually works well enough for me to surf the web a bit and look at baby pics on Facebook.
I agree with you in general, however I find more and more that the reduced seat width, the lack of padding, the inability to stretch out have caused increasing levels of "physical pain". Food? Coffee? A crummy blanket? Poor IFE? These are all things you can absolutely mitigate and deal with, complaining about them is like complaining about the weather, suck it up and bring an umbrella. On the other hand, being shoved into a 17" wide seat with 31" of pitch with almost no padding for 14 hours? No amount of Zen is going to prevent my back from aching badly about 4 hours in. Just gotta hope the 6'3" guy next to me doesn't mind if I squrim around rubbing shoulders trying to find some temporarily comfortable position.

No entitlement to J here (company won't pay and I usually can't) just saying that imo Y really has been made enough worse that I struggle to just grin and bear it anymore. Seats with a little more padding would go such a long way
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:04 am

Still a shame they don't treat very long flights like EWR-HNL as international from a meal service standpoint in E +/- given the flight times.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by bizzarODog
No entitlement to J here (company won't pay and I usually can't) just saying that imo Y really has been made enough worse that I struggle to just grin and bear it anymore. Seats with a little more padding would go such a long way
Certainly there is a level of discomfort that turns into actual pain. I've had an aching back on a flight in Y and it's rough going. When things are actually hurting, for real, that's a different story so I certainly don't mean to dismiss that.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by hughw

I don't know, but that pair in E+ isn't bad...
Sure, when you cherrypick (by accident since that was the bird you flew) the arguably BEST seats in UA's fleet in coach.

Originally Posted by bizzarODog

Seats with a little more padding would go such a long way
Very common complaint, and why 763 that still have the old seats are so much more comfortable. Flew one this time last year to LIM and boy was it nice (sprang for Ca$h and Miles u/g on redeye on the way back)
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Sure, when you cherrypick (by accident since that was the bird you flew) the arguably BEST seats in UA's fleet in coach.

Very common complaint, and why 763 that still have the old seats are so much more comfortable. Flew one this time last year to LIM and boy was it nice (sprang for Ca$h and Miles u/g on redeye on the way back)
I laugh when I hear people (usually non-FF's) complain about the 763 cabin being so dated... Just wait until it gets slimlined and you'll be wishing it looked so "old" again
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by EmailKid
In the their mission to reduce weight (and fuel costs) plus make room to add more seats, new economy seats are slimmer with less padding and less comfortable. So many complain about the slow Polaris seat retrofits, but a big benefit of the Polaris rollout delays is economy passengers (the majority of the plane) get to enjoy 9-across 772s and more comfortable seats longer.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Anyone remember being excited about the improved Economy meals announced in April 2015? What a big to-do about nothing that has become...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
I’m writing this post from seat 23F on flight UA37 from LAX-SIN about 12 hours in, somewhere close to Guam. If anything, this flight is the litmus year since it’s the longest in the UA system and also on the 787 which everyone is complaining about.

So so far it’s ok. At 5”9 and 175lb I fit pretty comfortably in the seat, although with only about an inch either side to spare

I opted for an aisle seat this time, whereas I would normally go for a window. It’s great to have the flexibility to get up whenever I want, but the trade off is that sleep is quite a lot more difficult. I’ve managed to get about 6 hours of low quality sleep with the help of a trtl pillow, frequently interrupted by neighbour arm movement and people walking up and down the aisle. No doubt, it’s difficult to sleep in this seat. They could probably do something better with the headrest to give it some more support. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to try the 777-300 but if price and schedule works out or if a GPU fails to clear then I guess I will.

Once you add the pillow as lumbar support the seat is ok. It’s not comfortable, but it’s not too bad either. It’s going great for my neighbour who hasn’t moved since takeoff. Don’t worry, he is alive. The legroom is very good in E+, no complaints there.

The food was meh, but I brought some snacks as a backup. The portion size was small but adequate. Dessert was caramel ice cream. Yum!

I brought my own IFE on my iPad. If anyone hasn’t seen scam city before I highly recommend it. The Prague and Bangkok episodes were both great!

the best part of my experience so far is the one that not too many have mentioned. The price! I’m going to Singapore and Tokyo from Calgary for us$450! Think about that for a minute. I’m paying the same to go to Singapore and Tokyo that other Calgarians pay to visit Toronto, or sometimes Grande Prairie or Fort McMurray.

From time to time I’ll pay the extra to buy up to W when a GPU is certain to clear or when the lottery is in my favour. Tonight my girlfriend bought up to J for $1000 (so did many others, very few upgrades cleared tonight despite 7 available at T-24). She just came back to visit me in “loser class” as she is calling it. Neither of us regret our choice, we both got what we paid for.

US$450 to Singapore is amazing, but hardly a unique deal. The market responds to price first and service quality second. And having crammed seating is unfortunately the #1 way for a carrier to be able to offer low priced tickets.

To those complaining on this thread, believe me I understand your points. My last 10 or so long haul flights have been in Polaris, hobo first class or AC PE. It’s hard to go back to “loser class” and I also wish long haul Y was better on United.

But given the loads on many of these “uncomfortable” flights it seems to me that you are in the minority, and your market segment is also served on United already through discounted J tickets, last minute buyup opportunities and in some cases clearable GPU’s.

Really good thread guys. Looking forward to more fun discussion! I’ll post back on Tuesday with my comparison to ANA
zymm likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
OP here.

it tunes out I got lucky. Someone changed flight schedule and I am cleared into tonight’s LAX-SIN flight.

Thanks for all the informative tips and comments. As i mentioned in the earlier post, I do fly long haul Y on OAL,
buf just not on UA in the past decade. I am fine flying Y and this thread was meant to ask about what to expect in current UA Y. It was never intended to create a debate whether Y is doable on long haul.

Again, appreciate the comments and feedbacks.
Austin787 and zymm like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
@david_oz, I thought the new IAH-SYD was the longest flight in UA's system these days. It was booked at just over 17 hours although favorable winds meant we did it in something like 16:20 when I went a few weeks ago.

OP, one thing I forgot to put in when I had to retype that treatise response was that I find it's easier to endure the 14+ hour flights (as well as transition to the new timezone) if you take a number of naps rather than try for an extended sleep. I'll watch a movie, take a 2-3 hour nap, read from my ereader, take a nap, grab a snack, take a nap, etc. The shorter periods of wakefulness somehow make the time seem to fly by faster rather than being awake for 8-10 hours fidgeting.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
assuming the way back is about the same, $2450 for rt J is pretty worth it.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I cant sleep on planes so I'm subject to the crap entertainment system or my kindle.

But short of a medical issue, some physical pain or other issue, is it really so bad to just sit for 10 hours and deal with it? Only when compared to the experience up front does it seem so dire in the back.
But there's the issue. Take a flight like SFO-SYD. In Y, I can arrive in the morning having been up for 24+ consecutive hours with a completely destroyed sleep schedule. In J, I have just slept a full night in a bed, eaten breakfast, and I'm ready to have a day. The huge benefit of J travel for me is I don't know the meaning of "jet lag" - I just arrive and carry on with my day. I completely understand that not everyone can afford that comfort, but to me it's a gigantic difference - especially when the limiting factor in my personal travel, far above all else, is time away from work.
rufflesinc, wrp96 and Austin787 like this.

Last edited by findark; Feb 23, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee
Hopefully your fare will allow you to be upgraded in case the travel plans of others fall through ("And perhaps the horse will learn to sing...").
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
OP here.

it tunes out I got lucky. Someone changed flight schedule and I am cleared into tonight’s LAX-SIN flight.
Congrats!

And I and the rest of FT look forward to seeing what you get served on tonight flight!

David
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by findark
But there's the issue. Take a flight like SFO-SYD. In Y, I can arrive in the morning having been up for 24+ consecutive hours with a completely destroyed sleep schedule. In J, I have just slept a full night in a bed, eaten breakfast, and I'm ready to have a day. The huge benefit of J travel for me is I don't know the meaning of "jet lag" - I just arrive and carry on with my day. I completely understand that not everyone can afford that comfort, but to me it's a gigantic difference - especially when the limiting factor in my personal travel, far above all else, is time away from work.
For me, too, the main issue is sleep. Sadly, I don't always get much sleep in J either! But, yea it's totally different.

But at the risk of being labeled as 'the one who trolled the thread' let me throw this in: being exhausted after not sleeping for 24 hours is awful. I know. I bring a family of 4 to Thailand every year (from Colorado) in addition to many business long hauls and I terrible at sleeping on planes. I get it. Exhaustion is not fun, but nor does it lead to jetlag in any way. My general mentality is to ensure a good nights rest before the flight, expect no sleep along the way, and make sure I have a good nights sleep upon arrival. This, combined with some scientifically sound protocols for reducing or eliminating jetlag allows me to schedule meetings on the first day after arrival (assuming a full night's sleep first) without much trouble.

Overcoming jetlag is a different thread, but the idea that much of this is mentality applies to sleep deprivation as well. For many, it's very stressful trying and failing to fall asleep, or sleeping for a few minutes at a time only to be woken by a cart jamming your elbow or plain old discomfort. By mentally committing to the fact that sleep is unlikely, but welcome if it happens to come, the stress is wildly reduced. This isn't just my opinion, sleep scientists and physicians generally agree that there is a failure/stress cycle of insomnia as patients try but fail to fall asleep, becoming more agitated and defeated along the way. Many CBT therapies seek only to disrupt this cycle rather than searching for a root cause right away.

So, yea, I hold meetings on the first day. And I'm not exactly shot out of a cannon that day, but I'm OK.

Of course it's better in j-class in many ways, but for me it's certainly not necessary. My last experience flying AUK-SFO in Polaris was an awful nights sleep anyways - not all of those seats up front are all that much better for sleeping!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.