Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is it like in UA International Economy these days?

What is it like in UA International Economy these days?

Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zymm
Keep an eye on the seat map, it's pretty route dependent, but on some international flights E- will be packed, but E+ very sparsely populated. If that's the case you can almost certainly get a row to yourself. Otherwise I prefer the bulkhead aisle.
This.

I have no idea which route you're flying or how packed economy is, but if it looks relatively empty I would watch the seatmap like a hawk to try and get an empty seat next to me, or even a whole row. If E+ is empty but E- is completely full, then you are probably out of luck as there will be a lot of people without seat assignments that will get put in E+. However, if E- has a number of empty seats, then you may be in luck. I have broad shoulders so having an empty middle is the most important thing to me to ensure my comfort. I will SDC to other flights if it looks like I'll have better luck with that elsewhere.

I think the Y meals taste better, but have gotten smaller over the last few years. I get fairly hungry so I tend to eat a meal in the terminal and then eat again on the plane. Bring an ambein or Advil PM and have a glass of wine.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
I'm sure I'm reading too much into this, but can't help but feel the sense of entitlement and apparent impending doom that someone faces when flying economy when I read threads like this.

Suggestions for Looking for other flights, really? You will survive it, as will the thousands of others that have to fly economy every day.
Sure it's survivable, but it still sucks. It continues to be optimized for cost (see the recent densification of 787/777, padding-free slimlines on the 737s, etc), not comfort.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by mduell
Sure it's survivable, but it still sucks. It continues to be optimized for cost (see the recent densification of 787/777, padding-free slimlines on the 737s, etc), not comfort.
Survivable, perhaps, but there are reasons so many people hate flying, and most of it is due to flying in economy. I had a couple of really awful experiences in a row that were so bad I decided that if I could not get out of economy somehow on long haul trips, I would have to quite international travel. And then there is a bad back. So the effort to find R space or discount P is, to me, well worth it.Why be miserable when you land when it is not necessary?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Survivable, perhaps, but there are reasons so many people hate flying, and most of it is due to flying in economy. I had a couple of really awful experiences in a row that were so bad I decided that if I could not get out of economy somehow on long haul trips, I would have to quite international travel. And then there is a bad back. So the effort to find R space or discount P is, to me, well worth it.Why be miserable when you land when it is not necessary?
MsHalls120 and I plan to do a lot of traveling once we retire in the next year or two. It will be on UA where we can get a good business fare (or UG), and if that isn't available, it will be on those carriers that offer a true premium economy.

I get it that everyone can't afford PE, but we can, and if UA slow-rolls their installation, they will be pushing us to the competition.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have not flown UA International Economy class since becoming GS over a decade ago.

It looks like the streak is going to end later this week as my flight has already been sold out in J and my upgrade will not clear

Is food still edible?
Please post one of your food albums of this flight.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cyberjet

Bring your own water bottle. yes you can more water ice, but you're freed from cabin dynamics.
Originally Posted by zymm

The only real F&B thing, I would absolutely make sure to bring one of those big 1.5L bottles of water with you. They're pretty good about going around during the flight with water, but those cups are small and it's much easier to have your own than to have to keep going to the galley or ringing for more.
This is good advice except if you are flying from some Asian airports where they confiscate the filled water bottles just before boarding the flight. They open every piece of luggage looking for drinks and seize them. I have been able to smuggle small bottles in the pockets of my jacket but a 1.5L would be impossible. The good thing is that on those flights, the FAs are quite good walking every hour down the aisles with trays of glasses filled with water.

I have done 16 hours flights in Economy+. I'm usually lucky that I can get a bulkhead aisle. In that space, I can stand when my back really hurts without bothering other passengers. I find that after 6 hours of flight, the pain becomes exponential for each additional hour.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
This.

I have no idea which route you're flying or how packed economy is, but if it looks relatively empty I would watch the seatmap like a hawk to try and get an empty seat next to me, or even a whole row. If E+ is empty but E- is completely full, then you are probably out of luck as there will be a lot of people without seat assignments that will get put in E+. However, if E- has a number of empty seats, then you may be in luck. I have broad shoulders so having an empty middle is the most important thing to me to ensure my comfort. I will SDC to other flights if it looks like I'll have better luck with that elsewhere.

I think the Y meals taste better, but have gotten smaller over the last few years. I get fairly hungry so I tend to eat a meal in the terminal and then eat again on the plane. Bring an ambein or Advil PM and have a glass of wine.
+1 on the portion sizes. I actually don't mind the taste of UA Economy Class meals at all, but nowadays all they give you is a little tray with a small entree and a super-small salad, with no dressing or condiments, plus a cold roll. And then they follow up with a tiny tub of ice cream.

They clearly decided they couldn't get away with buy on board on long distance routes (they released a trial balloon on that a few years ago and got pilloried), so they cut portions instead. So bring a couple of apples to munch on or something.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thanks everyone for the observations, experience and tips.
I am on LAX-SIN, so it is more than 14+ hours I had originally estimated A lot of good suggestions and I will definitely look out for adjacent empty seat in E+.
I am looking forward to the flight. I have done many long haul Y on other airlines in the past ten years but just not on UA. I am pretty low maintenance.

Originally Posted by BThumme
I'm sure I'm reading too much into this, but can't help but feel the sense of entitlement and apparent impending doom that someone faces when flying economy when I read threads like this.
Thanks, but I am not sure what is the best way to ask the question for Y experience. I just have not flown UA International Y for over ten years and have no idea what it is current offering. I have done many international Y flights in the past ten years but just not on UA.

Originally Posted by robbeck1
Definitely, I take photos of pretty much everything I eat on the planes, except for those Air China international Y flights that I have flown quite a bit in the past ten years and Air China seems to serve the same things without periodic rotations.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by robbeck1
Was the food ever edible to begin with? Having flown TPAC on BR for ages, I've sprinkled in UA from time to time and have regretted it each time over a 2 decade period.

I have no problem flying Economy for 13 hours. It's totally doable in E+, but I just wish the food was more bearable. If they just catered Panda Express for their Asian food, I'd fly every TPAC opportunity I could on UA.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmo580
Was the food ever edible to begin with? Having flown TPAC on BR for ages, I've sprinkled in UA from time to time and have regretted it each time over a 2 decade period.

I have no problem flying Economy for 13 hours. It's totally doable in E+, but I just wish the food was more bearable. If they just catered Panda Express for their Asian food, I'd fly every TPAC opportunity I could on UA.
Sorry, Panda Express is not Asian food. I like it, but I don't consider it Asian food.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by grapegrower
Find the 787 fairly comfortable on the international leg in comparison to the 777 (but still miss the 747).
The seat is supposed to be tighter but I haven't noticed that. Am 185cm and 110kg. We always book aisle seats in the middle.
No complaints about IFE or food but do take my own snacks just in case.
I find a lot of the discomfort can be 'in the head' and some mental preparation is a good way to go.
After all it's only 14 hours, not a life sentence.
I had to convert this to English (6' tall, 242 lbs) what has my somewhat quizzical about your preference. The 747 was a wonderful bird in the upper deck, but Y has never been so hot. The old pmUA seats were well padded, but they were effectively the same width as the seats on a 737/757 (17" wide seats just counting the seat cushion, the plane gives 20.2" of width/seat, which is .2" more/seat than on the 737/757) and E+ was only 34" of pitch.

The 772s flow by UA and CO, OTOH have seats that are 18" wide in the seat pan, and they have 21.3"/seat in width. They also have IFE. [This is to be contrasted with the horrible 77W on UA which has only 19.4"/seat and even with 1" pulled from both Aisles has seats that are effectively .8" narrower than on the 737/757]

The 789 is bad as well, with only 19.8"/seat in width, for seats that are effectively about 1/2 in narrower than on the old 747.

I am slighly taller than you are (as is my son) and weight quite a bit less than you do, and I found the B789 seats on UA to be uncomfortably tight w/o enough padding, the old 747 seats to not be so hot, but workable for a long flight due to the extra padding, while I find flying on the old sUA 772ER to be a not uncomfortable in E+. Would I prefer PE or J? Yes, but on a family trip I'm perfectly comfortable in coach on a 3-3-3 (or in the past 2-5-2) 777.

So you have things 180 degrees from what I think most larger people would say.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
OP - if you are okay with indian-ized food ask for the AVML. It is one of the few options that is actually decent. Plus you get served first, by name and from a hand carried tray, not anonymously via a drawer pulled from a cart . It will feel like premium class
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmo580

I have never had a meal that was actually inedible on UA. Mostly the Y meals are inoffensive but forgettable. And if you want Panda Express, just bring a fist full of sugar packets aboard to add to your meal.
drewguy and zymm like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have not flown UA International Economy class since becoming GS over a decade ago.

It looks like the streak is going to end later this week as my flight has already been sold out in J and my upgrade will not clear.
Hopefully your fare will allow you to be upgraded in case the travel plans of others fall through ("And perhaps the horse will learn to sing...").

Either way, I and all of FlyerTalk look forward to spectacular shots of your dining options from LAX to SIN!

David
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DELee

Hopefully your fare will allow you to be upgraded in case the travel plans of others fall through
I recall the flight where I crossed MM mark. Waitlisted GPU for at least 2 months (probably 3 or more) with lots and lots of empty seats that slowly filled up.

In the last few days flight went from sold out in J to a couple of seats for sale, and I moved from #1 to #2 , #4 , then #3 and was #2 on u/g list when I landed in SFO.

I don't think GAs were impressed with my plea that I want to cross MM in style, but nonetheless ended up clearing into Biz just before boarding started Oh, and FAs weren't impressed with my MM either

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.