FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Cape Air (9K) - Earning miles, booking awards, elite benefits, .... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1894629-cape-air-9k-earning-miles-booking-awards-elite-benefits.html)

grkantrowitz Mar 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Can you book HPN -> MVY directly on Cape Air using MileagePlus points?

Hello All,

Does anyone know if you can fly from HPN -> MVY directly on Cape Air using MileagePlus points? For some reason this flight doesn't show up on United's website but it does show up on Cape Air's. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Best,

Greg

FriendlySkies Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm

You'll have to call UA to book an award ticket on Cape Air.

http://pss.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=252

Using miles

See our award chart to find out how many miles you'll need, depending on class of service and region of travel.
You can use miles to fly one-way or roundtrip.

To book award travel on Cape Air, call United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331). ​​​​​​​

kwildnj Mar 13, 2012 8:22 am

Hi Greg,

Sorry to bust your bubble, but you can only redeem miles for CapeAir flights which also operate with a United flight number, which are one or two flights in the Micronesia market, which are United Express, Operated by CapeAir, as well as a handful of routes in the San Juan market which are just regular code share flights. -- These are the destinations which earn miles on the link FriendlySkies provided.

Most otherCapeAir should be bookable for revenue travel on United.com, through a ticketing agreement in place between the two airlines. Note that you can only book a 9K (CapeAir) segment as a connection from a United flight, not as a stand-alone ticket -- similar to the.Island Air / Hawaiian segments inter-island in, Hawaii.

Also, apparently because CapeAir does not fly out of the passenger Terminal at HPN, but out of the FBO (Fixed Based Operator) Terminal, such tickets are not available for the HPN flights. I tried ORD-MVY on a number of dates in May and June, and it routes ORD-BOS-MVY, and does not offer a HPN connection.

grkantrowitz Mar 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by kwildnj (Post 18190977)
Hi Greg,

Sorry to bust your bubble, but you can only redeem miles for CapeAir flights which also operate with a United flight number, which are one or two flights in the Micronesia market, which are United Express, Operated by CapeAir, as well as a handful of routes in the San Juan market which are just regular code share flights. -- These are the destinations which earn miles on the link FriendlySkies provided.

Most otherCapeAir should be bookable for revenue travel on United.com, through a ticketing agreement in place between the two airlines. Note that you can only book a 9K (CapeAir) segment as a connection from a United flight, not as a stand-alone ticket -- similar to the.Island Air / Hawaiian segments inter-island in, Hawaii.

Also, apparently because CapeAir does not fly out of the passenger Terminal at HPN, but out of the FBO (Fixed Based Operator) Terminal, such tickets are not available for the HPN flights. I tried ORD-MSY on a number of dates in May and June, and it routes ORD-BOS-MVY, and does not offer a HPN connection.

Thanks for the very helpful response.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to fly from NY to MVY and struggling...

generic123 Mar 14, 2012 6:24 pm

I tried calling today to book an award itinerary with Cape Air segments (specifically segments WITH United codeshare flight numbers) and the agent told me after apparently checking with her supervisor many times that redemption on Cape Air is flat out impossible now. Has anyone else had any luck?

mia_marlin Mar 17, 2012 6:53 am

Originally Posted by grkantrowitz (Post 18193005)
Thanks for the very helpful response.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to fly from NY to MVY and struggling...

When are you traveling? The service from the NY area to MVY is seasonal, Cape Air starts a bit earlier than other airlines. You should be able to find deals on other airlines if you are willing to go off peak after they begin service.

Originally Posted by kwildnj (Post 18190977)
Also, apparently because CapeAir does not fly out of the passenger Terminal at HPN, but out of the FBO (Fixed Based Operator) Terminal, such tickets are not available for the HPN flights. I tried ORD-MVY on a number of dates in May and June, and it routes ORD-BOS-MVY, and does not offer a HPN connection.

I have flown the Cape Air flights into HPN often. You are correct about interline ticket unavailability, I think it has to do with the secure to non-secure routing. (ORD-HPN is secure and HPN-MVY is not.)

That said, you can certainly buy two separate tickets. The major difference would be that you would need to claim your luggage at HPN then walk past the car rental lot to the Cape Air desk in the FBO with your bags. On the return, since you would connect from a non-secure to a secure flight, you would have to collect you bags, check in and clear TSA at HPN for the HPN-ORD flight anyway. Just leave yourself enough time, I've done it often.

amartin1979 Feb 15, 2013 4:46 pm

500 mile minimum on cape air?

Is there a 500 mile minimum on miles earned through a cape air code share?

JDS747 Feb 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979 (Post 20256172)
Is there a 500 mile minimum on miles earned through a cape air code share?

Looks like it... read through the page on this link: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=252

*Premier members receive a minimum of 500 base miles on all eligible purchased fare classes.

kenn0223 Feb 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by JDS747 (Post 20256585)
Looks like it... read through the page on this link: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=252

*Premier members receive a minimum of 500 base miles on all eligible purchased fare classes.

Only when it's a code share (UA flight number), if you're booked directly on Cape Air you will only get actual miles (if any).

Chukiechz Feb 16, 2013 12:29 am

I actually just flew 2 legs this week on cape air. My itinerary doesn't show any miles being earned, even though it was booked through the united website. My flight number was 9K1114.

Explore Apr 10, 2013 1:46 pm

What Does the Cape Air Partnership Amount To?

For starters, I'm not sure whether you can earn United miles on 9K flights that aren't UA codeshares. My flight is from Rutland, VT to BOS and has only a 9K flight number - does it qualify for UA credit?

Then, can you ever burn UA miles on such segments? For a bunch of dates, I don't see any award availability on the UA website, which is reminiscent of Great Lakes.

Any insights?

mherdeg Apr 10, 2013 1:46 pm

My understanding is that if you're the first to board and ask nicely, it amounts to an opportunity to ride in the cockpit.

GoAmtrak Apr 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 20569823)
My understanding is that if you're the first to board and ask nicely, it amounts to an opportunity to ride in the cockpit.

My girlfriend did just that the other day. ^ I was content to sit in the (very legroom-restricted) seat directly behind and witness her giddiness. The young pilot (about our age) pointed out landmarks to her as she took photos and certainly didn't mind the company. :)

9K accrual on UA applies only on SJU and GUM routes. Otherwise, booking via UA on the same ticket would be helpful if you want to interline checked bags. If connecting via STL, keep in mind that you can stay airside and utilize 9K's tarmac shuttle between C and any other concourse.

kenn0223 Apr 10, 2013 3:07 pm

IME you can only earn miles on the UA codeshares (similar to Great Lakes) so none of the ex-BOS flights qualify (since they do not codeshare on those routes). It's only ex-SJU where they are co-marketed codeshares. In GUM Cape Air is a United Express carrier and does not market the flights themselves.

As an aside, ex-GUM Cape Air flies ATR-42s in United Express colors (they have 2). You won't find any references or seat maps for these AC anywhere on United's site (including the fleet information posted on the investor relations site).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sW29p_H21j...0/DSCN4954.JPG

GoAmtrak Apr 10, 2013 3:28 pm

And of course, the empty FO seat should only be available on the much smaller 9K-painted Cessna 402s (8 seats + cockpit) and not the ATRs (about 42 seats).