Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA - Firearms as checked bags
Aug 2022 version (appears unchanged)
We’ll accept shooting equipment as checked bags in hard-sided, securely locked firearms cases or containers. Locked cases that can easily be opened aren’t permitted. All firearms cases must meet the following safety criteria in order to be accepted for travel:
  • Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
  • The regulations below refer to all firearms (or items that may resemble a firearm), including airsoft guns, BB guns, paintball guns and any antique trophy guns or weapons.
  • If you're traveling with a firearm, you must check in to your flight at the airport counter. You won’t be able to check in through the United app, united.com or an airport kiosk. Curbside check-in of a firearm is also not permitted.
  • International firearm regulations and laws vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s). United is not liable for any assistance or information relating to such regulations or compliance with such laws provided by any United employee or agent to any customers, or for the consequences to any customer resulting from his or her failure to comply with such regulations or laws.
    • Firearms are not accepted to and from Bahrain, Cuba, Federated States of Micronesia, Israel, Jordan, Marshall Islands, Nigeria, Palau, Philippines, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Vietnam.
    • Customers traveling to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA) with checked firearms and/or ammunition must be in possession of a gun import license or a temporary transportation permit, which must be certified and validated by a Guatemalan Consulate. Customers traveling with checked firearms and/or ammunition through Guatemala City do not require a permit as long as their bag does not leave the airport controlled area. Customers must ensure they have all the necessary documents required at their final destination.
    • Customers traveling to or through Milan, Italy (MXP) or Rome, Italy (FCO) with checked firearms/ammunition are subject to police clearance at their first point of entry into Italy. Security staff will take the firearms/ammunition to the police office for inspection. Firearms and ammunition must be packed in separate containers.
    • Customers traveling to or through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden.
    • For travel to and from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard-sided rifle case. Customers must have the appropriate license or certificate in addition to a British Visitor's Permit (BVP). A Great Britain resident will need to act as a sponsor and submit a BVP application to their local firearms licensing department on your behalf.
  • Firearms must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel. Using a TSA-approved lock can help speed up the security screening process for firearms.
  • Handguns must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The locked hard-sized container holding the handgun may be placed inside an unlocked soft-side piece of luggage. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel.
  • Customers may only pack up to five firearms in any case or bag. However, there is no limit on the number of cases or bags they are permitted to check.
  • The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.
  • Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.
  • No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
    • The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
    • The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
    • The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
    • Loaded ammunition magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm, and must be securely packed in boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition and must fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.
    • Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectile will not be accepted.
    • Black powder, for black powder arms, is considered hazardous material and will not be accepted as checked baggage.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Note: Customers must sign and date a Firearm Declaration Tag declaring the firearm is not loaded.
prior version (sept 2020)
We’ll accept shooting equipment as checked bags in hard-sided, securely locked firearms cases or containers. Locked cases that can easily be opened aren’t permitted. All firearms cases must meet the following safety criteria in order to be accepted for travel:
  • Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
  • The regulations below refer to all firearms (or items that may resemble a firearm), including airsoft guns, BB guns, paintball guns and any antique trophy guns or weapons.
  • If you're traveling with a firearm, you must check in to your flight at the airport counter. You won’t be able to check in through the United app, united.com or an airport kiosk. Curbside check-in of a firearm is also not permitted.
  • International firearm regulations and laws vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s). United is not liable for any assistance or information relating to such regulations or compliance with such laws provided by any United employee or agent to any customers, or for the consequences to any customer resulting from his or her failure to comply with such regulations or laws.
    • Firearms are not accepted to and from Bahrain, Cuba, Federated States of Micronesia, Israel, Marshall Islands, Nigeria, Palau, Philippines, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Vietnam.
    • Customers traveling to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA) with checked firearms and/or ammunition must be in possession of a gun import license or a temporary transportation permit, which must be certified and validated by a Guatemalan Consulate. Customers traveling with checked firearms and/or ammunition through Guatemala City do not require a permit as long as their bag does not leave the airport controlled area. Customers must ensure they have all the necessary documents required at their final destination.
    • Customers traveling to or through Milan, Italy (MXP) or Rome, Italy (FCO) with checked firearms/ammunition are subject to police clearance at their first point of entry into Italy. Security staff will take the firearms/ammunition to the police office for inspection. Firearms and ammunition must be packed in separate containers.
    • Customers traveling to or through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden.
    • For travel to and from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard-sided rifle case. Customers must have the appropriate license or certificate in addition to a British Visitor's Permit (BVP). A Great Britain resident will need to act as a sponsor and submit a BVP application to their local firearms licensing department on your behalf.
  • Firearms must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel. Using a TSA-approved lock can help speed up the security screening process for firearms.
  • Handguns must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The locked hard-sized container holding the handgun may be placed inside an unlocked soft-side piece of luggage. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel.
  • Customers may only pack up to five firearms in any case or bag. However, there is no limit on the number of cases or bags they are permitted to check.
  • The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.
  • Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.
  • No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
    • The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
    • The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
    • The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
    • Loaded ammunition magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm, and must be securely packed in boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition and must fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.
    • Black powder, for black powder arms, is considered hazardous material and will not be accepted as checked baggage.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Note: Customers must sign and date a Firearm Declaration Tag declaring the firearm is not loaded.
Print Wikipost

Checking firearms on United.

Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I've wanted to fly to Vegas for competitive shooting events, but have never had the guts to check a firearm. I've read too many nightmare stories of flights getting diverted to EWR (in particular) and even of people getting arrested for their checked ammunition when the diversion unexpectedly resulted in an overnight stay @ EWR and they had to re-check in the morning. I would love to hear more experiences in this regard w/ EWR in the mix.
That was in the news because the flier didn't follow procedure. He had a flight/bus connection via Newark to Allentown, and picked up the bag himself in EWR, against both policy and law because the bus was delayed. If you happen to divert or get delayed, do as others did above, or let United baggage hold your bag/gun.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
That was in the news because the flier didn't follow procedure. He had a flight/bus connection via Newark to Allentown, and picked up the bag himself in EWR, against both policy and law because the bus was delayed. If you happen to divert or get delayed, do as others did above, or let United baggage hold your bag/gun.
I agree in general however airlines will frequently refuse to hold baggage overnight in case of IRROPS. When I was returning home from college my freshman year, we had an unplanned overnight in MPS and were forced to pick up our bags before going to the hotel. I've had to do this for other IRROPS that required overnights as well although I wasn't required to pick up my bags for an unexpected overnight at DEN about 10 years ago. There have been other cases reported on Second Amendment bulletin boards so I would avoid JFK or EWR if at all possible when transporting firearms. I'd probably add LAX and SFO to that as well.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
This problem is nicely covered in detail by the NY times: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/n...n-arrival.html

The case you are referring to (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tra...-supreme-court) is one of MANY such incidents over the years. Incidents where law abiding citizens TRYING to do the right thing, declaring the firearms as required etc... are hassled due to minutia unique to New Jersey. Many of us have had canceled flights and been told to forced to claim our luggage @ the diversion or delay location prior to checking into a hotel. In literally ANY other city outside of the greater NYC area, the case you quoted would have been a non-issue.

Regardless of one's view of politics, this issue is particularly relevant to us United flyers as odds of getting diverted to EWR (Or our flights originating, terminating, connecting through EWR) are quite high. Given the complexities and the nuances at play, I think the heads up is warranted.

Some similar stories:
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/john...y-other-states
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by LordHamster; Dec 19, 2018 at 9:14 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
To provide closure on the above, the Supreme Court declined to hear the case. https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....les/10-236.htm
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
To provide closure on the above, the Supreme Court declined to hear the case. https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....les/10-236.htm
Which underscores the dangers of travel through the greater NYC area...
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by skipstocks
Does each firearm need to be in it's own case? Or can I out two handguns in a larger, suitable lock box?
Yes, you can have multiple per case. In fact, when I travel with the expensive camera lenses or computers, I put them into a firearms case with a small firearm (could be even fake I assume) and declare them as such. Then you know it will be locked and there is much lower chance of damage or disappearance.
They are inconsistent on ammo, sometimes shotgun shells are allowed, other times they let me throw them away :/
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:57 am

Has anyone that has ever checked a firearm with United been held to the 62 inch size limit?
I don't have a case under 70 total inches (L X W X H)

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CraftBrewer
Has anyone that has ever checked a firearm with United been held to the 62 inch size limit?
I don't have a case under 70 total inches (L X W X H)

Thanks in advance!!!
As for standard bags, sports equipment is subject to size and weight limits,
We’ll accept them as checked bags as long as you pack them in suitable containers that are within the size and weight limits of your checked bag allowance. Oversized and overweight items will be subject to standard fees for oversized and overweight bags..
with the caveat
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
If you are asking if UA might over look the oversize, see How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage? Some counter agents are quite adapt at judging size, high elite status may give you some extra forgiveness
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Transporting firearms on UA

Hi, I am a legal owner of a firearm that I may to transport on UA by checking in (I've read the rules), and just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with UA so as to avoid any issues (I'm transporting unloaded in a TSA approved case with TSA approved locks).

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Allow a little extra time. At LAS and they had to disappear into a back office for a while to do something. Not sure if that was unusual, but my experience suggests 15 minutes extra should be allocated to check in. Returned it to me at OGG bag claim office. This was maybe 5 years ago or so.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:03 am

First, do NOT use TSA locks on the firearm case.

Second, make sure the firearm is unloaded. I like to use a chamber flag to show them there is no way it can fire a round accidentally. I've taken ammunition in plastic holders but they really prefer it to be in factory boxes. You can store the ammunition and magazines in the same case as the firearm but they MUST be separated from the firearm itself.

Third, allow some extra time at check-in. It helps if you fill the form out ahead of time but you can get one from the counter agent if you don't. Tell the counter agent that you have a firearm to check and they will direct you to the appropriate counter or table. S/he will inspect the firearm to ensure it is safed, place the appropriate form in the case, then watch you as you close and lock the case. To repeat, do NOT use TSA locks on the case -- they have already inspected it and do not want to deal with potential charges of a TSA agent getting into the case to take ammo or the firearm itself.

I found it to really be easy and hassle-free. First time I ever did it was a few months after 9/11 so I thought for sure I was going to get some flak but all the TSA agent did (beyond his job) was ask me about the manufacturer of my AR and how much it cost.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I just did this for the 3rd time last week. There are a few notes:

Your good on the case and locks (I still even trigger lock my pistol in my case with the slide open).
Ammo cannot be in the same locked case (but it can be in the same bag).
Ammo must be in the original style box (you can't just take a ziploc bag of ammo).
When you check in, don't say "I have a gun!" Just go to the counter and say you need to "declare a firearm"

This is one I just learned on my trip last week: If you check a firearm on the outbound, it will lock you out of OLCI for the return flight. So lesson learned for me... I'm booking one ways when I know I'm going somewhere with my pistol.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ordogg
Hi, I am a legal owner of a firearm that I may to transport on UA by checking in (I've read the rules), and just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with UA so as to avoid any issues (I'm transporting unloaded in a TSA approved case with TSA approved locks).

Thanks!
Just did this in November for the first time, and I shared your concerns. Recommend you check in a little early as there are procedures the airline has to follow, and you'll need to open, then lock your case before they accept it. Upon arrival (PDX), firearms were delivered with the oversized bags. I was pleased with the entire process.

Last edited by artvandalay; Feb 26, 2021 at 9:42 am
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Ammo cannot be in the same locked case (but it can be in the same bag).
I have transported ammo in the firearm case, albeit not recently. From United's own website (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...equipment.html), my emphasis added:

No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
To correct myself, while I was advised by the TSA agent to NOT use TSA-accessible locks, TSA's website says you can use any brand or type including TSA-recognized locks (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
To correct myself, while I was advised by the TSA agent
Must be a YMMV, at inspection the TSA agent told me to remove it from case, has me just put the box in my shaving kit. The UA agent and I looked at each other thinking "this doesn't make sense"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.