Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA - Firearms as checked bags
Aug 2022 version (appears unchanged)
We’ll accept shooting equipment as checked bags in hard-sided, securely locked firearms cases or containers. Locked cases that can easily be opened aren’t permitted. All firearms cases must meet the following safety criteria in order to be accepted for travel:
  • Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
  • The regulations below refer to all firearms (or items that may resemble a firearm), including airsoft guns, BB guns, paintball guns and any antique trophy guns or weapons.
  • If you're traveling with a firearm, you must check in to your flight at the airport counter. You won’t be able to check in through the United app, united.com or an airport kiosk. Curbside check-in of a firearm is also not permitted.
  • International firearm regulations and laws vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s). United is not liable for any assistance or information relating to such regulations or compliance with such laws provided by any United employee or agent to any customers, or for the consequences to any customer resulting from his or her failure to comply with such regulations or laws.
    • Firearms are not accepted to and from Bahrain, Cuba, Federated States of Micronesia, Israel, Jordan, Marshall Islands, Nigeria, Palau, Philippines, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Vietnam.
    • Customers traveling to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA) with checked firearms and/or ammunition must be in possession of a gun import license or a temporary transportation permit, which must be certified and validated by a Guatemalan Consulate. Customers traveling with checked firearms and/or ammunition through Guatemala City do not require a permit as long as their bag does not leave the airport controlled area. Customers must ensure they have all the necessary documents required at their final destination.
    • Customers traveling to or through Milan, Italy (MXP) or Rome, Italy (FCO) with checked firearms/ammunition are subject to police clearance at their first point of entry into Italy. Security staff will take the firearms/ammunition to the police office for inspection. Firearms and ammunition must be packed in separate containers.
    • Customers traveling to or through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden.
    • For travel to and from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard-sided rifle case. Customers must have the appropriate license or certificate in addition to a British Visitor's Permit (BVP). A Great Britain resident will need to act as a sponsor and submit a BVP application to their local firearms licensing department on your behalf.
  • Firearms must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel. Using a TSA-approved lock can help speed up the security screening process for firearms.
  • Handguns must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The locked hard-sized container holding the handgun may be placed inside an unlocked soft-side piece of luggage. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel.
  • Customers may only pack up to five firearms in any case or bag. However, there is no limit on the number of cases or bags they are permitted to check.
  • The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.
  • Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.
  • No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
    • The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
    • The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
    • The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
    • Loaded ammunition magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm, and must be securely packed in boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition and must fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.
    • Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectile will not be accepted.
    • Black powder, for black powder arms, is considered hazardous material and will not be accepted as checked baggage.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Note: Customers must sign and date a Firearm Declaration Tag declaring the firearm is not loaded.
prior version (sept 2020)
We’ll accept shooting equipment as checked bags in hard-sided, securely locked firearms cases or containers. Locked cases that can easily be opened aren’t permitted. All firearms cases must meet the following safety criteria in order to be accepted for travel:
  • Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
  • The regulations below refer to all firearms (or items that may resemble a firearm), including airsoft guns, BB guns, paintball guns and any antique trophy guns or weapons.
  • If you're traveling with a firearm, you must check in to your flight at the airport counter. You won’t be able to check in through the United app, united.com or an airport kiosk. Curbside check-in of a firearm is also not permitted.
  • International firearm regulations and laws vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s). United is not liable for any assistance or information relating to such regulations or compliance with such laws provided by any United employee or agent to any customers, or for the consequences to any customer resulting from his or her failure to comply with such regulations or laws.
    • Firearms are not accepted to and from Bahrain, Cuba, Federated States of Micronesia, Israel, Marshall Islands, Nigeria, Palau, Philippines, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Vietnam.
    • Customers traveling to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA) with checked firearms and/or ammunition must be in possession of a gun import license or a temporary transportation permit, which must be certified and validated by a Guatemalan Consulate. Customers traveling with checked firearms and/or ammunition through Guatemala City do not require a permit as long as their bag does not leave the airport controlled area. Customers must ensure they have all the necessary documents required at their final destination.
    • Customers traveling to or through Milan, Italy (MXP) or Rome, Italy (FCO) with checked firearms/ammunition are subject to police clearance at their first point of entry into Italy. Security staff will take the firearms/ammunition to the police office for inspection. Firearms and ammunition must be packed in separate containers.
    • Customers traveling to or through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden.
    • For travel to and from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard-sided rifle case. Customers must have the appropriate license or certificate in addition to a British Visitor's Permit (BVP). A Great Britain resident will need to act as a sponsor and submit a BVP application to their local firearms licensing department on your behalf.
  • Firearms must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel. Using a TSA-approved lock can help speed up the security screening process for firearms.
  • Handguns must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The locked hard-sized container holding the handgun may be placed inside an unlocked soft-side piece of luggage. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel.
  • Customers may only pack up to five firearms in any case or bag. However, there is no limit on the number of cases or bags they are permitted to check.
  • The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.
  • Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.
  • No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
    • The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
    • The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
    • The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
    • Loaded ammunition magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm, and must be securely packed in boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition and must fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.
    • Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectile will not be accepted.
    • Black powder, for black powder arms, is considered hazardous material and will not be accepted as checked baggage.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Note: Customers must sign and date a Firearm Declaration Tag declaring the firearm is not loaded.
Print Wikipost

Checking firearms on United.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dimramon
That's how I was looking at it. Mainly to get on the upgrade list, so I have a small chance of getting out of 38E
Also remember that, regardless of your check-in status, 24 hours prior to scheduled departure is when a bunch of better E+ seats show up online.
Having dropped to Silver, that's become a fact of life for me...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: UA GS & 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz Pres Circle, Avis Pres Club, Global Entry/Nexus
I fly out of IAD regularly and have had decent experiences checking firearms with UA, with the exception of one incident similar to what a prior poster mentioned. Had to wait for a UA supervisor to complete the paperwork and walk me to TSA and it took a few phone calls to get someone to come from behind the door to help. Depending on counter staffing on a particular day, that can make the process longer or shorter. I have checked a firearm at IAD in as short as 10 minutes, and would say 15-20 minutes is the norm. They actually get a lot of FBI, secret service and marshalls coming through there, so they are used to this process.

The IAD TSA part of the process is great, as you get to stand there while they do the firearms screening just in case there issues, which is different than LAS - where you have to wait for 10 minutes just in case they need to call you back to ticketing if there is an issue. That said, going through LAS is like checking a regular piece of baggage, with the exception of adding the firearms declaration inside your case.

The worst airport is EWR, where everything in the process is compounded and adds wait time. You have to wait for UA supervisor sometimes, then have to wait for TSA supervisor, who then walks you to some obscure hallway and security room and does the screening while you wait outside the room, and then they put it in the normal baggage handling pathway if everything checks out. I have never had that process take less than about 25-30 minutes, and it can take an hour on busy days waiting for the TSA supervisor. I think this may be a function of NJ laws and firearms perceptions in that state, which are more strict than VA and NV.

I would say LAS is the best and EWR is the worst, with IAD firearms check-in times decent on most days.

Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Just to add a few to the list: (these are all multiple checkins over several years, not just one time checks

Never had a problem, no hassle, generally 10-15 min TOPS:
DFW
PHX
PIT
IAH
MCI
ATL
CHS (home airport and I am known by name and sight by most agents - no biggie - very small airport)

Nightmare:
EWR

Never {tried}:
ORD
JFK
SFO

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 21, 2018 at 11:44 am Reason: language
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:34 pm

Checked firearms literally dozens of times. For the most part I show up a little earlier, just in case and am very prepared: gun case with TSA approved locks ready, bolt or magazine open, ammo in case visible, etc. Airports at popular hunting destinations such as BOI, LIT, IDA, even GRR are really easy...they are used to dealing with it.

I do try to avoid the major urban airports (EWR, SFO, IAD). Even BWI was easy, although this may mean an extra stop.

I always check in on line at T-24 and then go to counter. In have not had this interfere with confirmed CPU, and even when still on the waitlist, I haven't seen that this has changed my position in the queue.

I am sure that there are real horror stories out there, maybe I have just been really lucky. But overall, I haven't seen or dealt with anything that would make me change airlines just because I was carrying a firearm.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:14 pm

Q: Does the *outer* bag have to be hardside luggage?

Greetings all -
I understand the regs around the case that the firearm and/or ammo must be in. My question: I use a wheeled, lockable duffle bag from 5.11 as my checked bag.

In order to check a firearm inside a locked hard case, do I need to use something besides the duffel bag to carry that locked hard case?

Or in case further elaboration is needed, what I want to do is place my firearm in a locked hard-sided case with padlocks as specified by the TSA. Can I take that locked hard case and put it inside of a soft-sided larger piece of luggage? Or does the outside piece of luggage *also* have to be hard-sided?

TIA,
S2
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by skipstocks
Greetings all -
I understand the regs around the case that the firearm and/or ammo must be in. My question: I use a wheeled, lockable duffle bag from 5.11 as my checked bag.

In order to check a firearm inside a locked hard case, do I need to use something besides the duffel bag to carry that locked hard case?

Or in case further elaboration is needed, what I want to do is place my firearm in a locked hard-sided case with padlocks as specified by the TSA. Can I take that locked hard case and put it inside of a soft-sided larger piece of luggage? Or does the outside piece of luggage *also* have to be hard-sided?

TIA,
S2
No, you are fine in your wheeled duffle
Rarely can you find a hard sided piece of luggage now.
afaik - the hard sided thing is just so it doesn't get squished or twisted open during normal baggage handling - you can ship the gun in just the hard sided case by itself, so having it in a duffel or other case doesn't matter.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Anyone have any experience checking in firearms at DEN or SEA? I might be doing just that here soon...

Also, it seems to be very conflicting that some sites tell me to use a case with TSA approved lock, where as other sites will say do NOT use TSA approved locks. Not sure which is correct.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
No, you are fine in your wheeled duffle
Rarely can you find a hard sided piece of luggage now.
afaik - the hard sided thing is just so it doesn't get squished or twisted open during normal baggage handling - you can ship the gun in just the hard sided case by itself, so having it in a duffel or other case doesn't matter.
Makes sense - thx Hipplewm!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by maverickar15
Anyone have any experience checking in firearms at DEN or SEA? I might be doing just that here soon...

Also, it seems to be very conflicting that some sites tell me to use a case with TSA approved lock, where as other sites will say do NOT use TSA approved locks. Not sure which is correct.

On the locked case that only contains your gun, according to TSA, you can use either: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition I would HIGHLY recommend against that.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Seeing as Dulles is supervised under the Metro Washington Airport Authority, I suspect the issue there had more to do with DC laws or police than UA. I've only checked firearms in three states (FL, CO, and HI) but never had any real delay or problem with UA.
I am certain that Virginia officials would be less than delighted with your assessment. IAD is located in Virginia and DC laws are just about as relevant as California or the Yukon Territory's.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I've wanted to fly to Vegas for competitive shooting events, but have never had the guts to check a firearm. I've read too many nightmare stories of flights getting diverted to EWR (in particular) and even of people getting arrested for their checked ammunition when the diversion unexpectedly resulted in an overnight stay @ EWR and they had to re-check in the morning. I would love to hear more experiences in this regard w/ EWR in the mix.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I've wanted to fly to Vegas for competitive shooting events, but have never had the guts to check a firearm. I've read too many nightmare stories of flights getting diverted to EWR (in particular) and even of people getting arrested for their checked ammunition when the diversion unexpectedly resulted in an overnight stay @ EWR and they had to re-check in the morning. I would love to hear more experiences in this regard w/ EWR in the mix.

I fretted for 2 days, my only (In my mind) saving grace was the fact I had a receipt for a hotel in PA - so the ONLY reason I was traversing thru NJ was to fly, which is 100% legal. That should also cover you if you diverted as well, but might take more explaining. I have yet to get caught in ORD, which I fear much more than EWR, or god forbid SFO.

I called the NJ/NY ports authority and NJ state police before I left the hotel in PA and was assured I would be fine.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
I am certain that Virginia officials would be less than delighted with your assessment. IAD is located in Virginia and DC laws are just about as relevant as California or the Yukon Territory's.
Yes and no. IAD is physically located in VA but has received a DC zip code and operates under the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority along with National (DCA).
From MWAA History and Facts | Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
On June 7, 1987, Washington Dulles International and Washington National Airports were transferred to the Airports Authority under a 50-year lease authorized by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Act of 1986, Title VI of Public Law 99-500. All property was transferred to the Airports Authority, and the Federal government holds title to the lease. Prior to the transfer, the airports were owned and operated by the Federal Aviation Administration in the U.S. Department of Transportation.
am1108 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 18, 2018 at 11:44 am Reason: OMNI, non UA comments removed
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:34 am

Does each firearm need to be in it's own case?

Does each firearm need to be in it's own case? Or can I out two handguns in a larger, suitable lock box?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:27 pm

Does each firearm need to be in it's own case? Or can I out two handguns in a larger, suitable lock box?
IME, you can have multiple per case.

Greetings all -
As others upthread have stated, the duffel is fine. However, reports abound of handgun cases being stolen from larger suitcases. I'd suggest chaining the hardcase to the duffel frame, just so a baggage screener can't easily remove the handgun case from the duffel. Keep enough chain slack so the case can be opened for inspection, if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.