Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA1175 Emergency Landing 13 February 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA1175 Emergency Landing 13 February 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by prestonh
When I flew LAX-AKL back in the day it pushed the ETOPS routes to the max. Pretty sure the new IAH-SYD also is more isolated than the HI flights (180 min etops shown, but I think the UA 787 is certified to a longer standard so the no-go area is smaller).

Looking at the past few days of the IAH-SYD flight, it actually does fly a little bit north of the GC route - flying near to that "point" of ETOPS-180 restricted area that LAX-AKL almost crosses. It's obviously not necessary it take this route as the 787 is rated for ETOPS-330, and I presume that United would've certified its planes and crew with at least ETOPS-240 so it could fly the GC route or slightly south. That being said, it's possible I guess that United did not pursue higher than ETOPS-180 certification and that is the reason for the northerly flight path of that flight. Or maybe they're taking more caution than is necessary.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311

The odds of an engine failure are minuscule. The odds of a 2nd engine failing after the first one are equally minuscule.

In fact, pilots and aviation experts would absolutely guarantee the other engine would remain functional, because that's how the airplane is designed - it is designed so that the odds of an engine failure are so remote that if one fails, you can certainly still land with the other one.

That's why back in the day, when engines were less reliable, long-haul planes had 3 or 4 of them. Fortunately, due to modern engineering, an engine failure is a non-event.
My statement at the very beginning clearly showed 'would have been disastrous' because all the unexpected events' that I could think of. My objective of the post was to brainstorm a set of events that I thought could happen. I am no aviation expert nor I pretend to be in any shape of form. I just need to know the odds of what would or wouldn't happen. EWR764, TA, and HNLBasedFlyer gave me the answers, and that's all I needed to know.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect moderator edit; removed response to deleted content
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by chermorg
Looking at the past few days of the IAH-SYD flight, it actually does fly a little bit north of the GC route - flying near to that "point" of ETOPS-180 restricted area that LAX-AKL almost crosses. It's obviously not necessary it take this route as the 787 is rated for ETOPS-330, and I presume that United would've certified its planes and crew with at least ETOPS-240 so it could fly the GC route or slightly south. That being said, it's possible I guess that United did not pursue higher than ETOPS-180 certification and that is the reason for the northerly flight path of that flight. Or maybe they're taking more caution than is necessary.
ETOPS has two components: airframe rating and carrier certification. The GENx 787 obtained 330-minute ETOPS rating about four years ago, after Boeing was able to demonstrate achievement of certain reliability thresholds and inflight shutdown (IFSD) rates with the fleet of in-service 787s. The other component is carrier certification, which is granted for each successive ETOPS level based on FAA review of the carrier's operational specifications and ETOPS history.

UA is now in the process of obtaining 330-minute ETOPS certification, which should take several months. This is expressly for IAHSYD, which will permit a more direct routing and avoid weight restrictions necessary for the diversion around the existing ETOPS 'hole' in the mid-Pacific. Even with the UA1175 incident, UA has such extensive ETOPS flying that it won't materially impact United's IFSD rate. As such is virtually assured United will get the desired certification.
Xyzzy, MSPeconomist, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by EWR764
ETOPS has two components: airframe rating and carrier certification. The GENx 787 obtained 330-minute ETOPS rating about four years ago, after Boeing was able to demonstrate achievement of certain reliability thresholds and inflight shutdown (IFSD) rates with the fleet of in-service 787s. The other component is carrier certification, which is granted for each successive ETOPS level based on FAA review of the carrier's operational specifications and ETOPS history.

UA is now in the process of obtaining 330-minute ETOPS certification, which should take several months. This is expressly for IAHSYD, which will permit a more direct routing and avoid weight restrictions necessary for the diversion around the existing ETOPS 'hole' in the mid-Pacific. Even with the UA1175 incident, UA has such extensive ETOPS flying that it won't materially impact United's IFSD rate. As such is virtually assured United will get the desired certification.
My understanding was that the carrier certification was also aircraft specific - i.e. they could have 180 on the 777 but 240 on the 787. Regardless, that's nice to know that they don't have 330 at the carrier level for the 787 yet. Do you know if they have 240? To me it looks like the route for IAH-SYD for the past few days has cut across the ETOPS-180 no-go zone, or at least skirted extremely close to it. To my understanding the 15% extension wouldn't apply here as there is *no* diversion airport within 180 of that no-go zone, not just one closed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: united

You made a completely uninformed post. Don't get mad when other people point it out.

The odds of an engine failure are minuscule. The odds of a 2nd engine failing after the first one are equally minuscule.

In fact, pilots and aviation experts would absolutely guarantee the other engine would remain functional, because that's how the airplane is designed - it is designed so that the odds of an engine failure are so remote that if one fails, you can certainly still land with the other one.

That's why back in the day, when engines were less reliable, long-haul planes had 3 or 4 of them. Fortunately, due to modern engineering, an engine failure is a non-event.

Anyway, in conclusion, everything in your original post was grossly wrong, and deserved to be corrected lest your misinformation be adopted by others.
That's why the US Airways "Sully" bird strike was so unique. You had an event that took out both engines.
MSPeconomist and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
What would have happened if the engine cover/cowling struck the rear wings or vertical stabilizer when it came off?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
What would have happened if the engine cover/cowling struck the rear wings or vertical stabilizer when it came off?
Fortunately not the way momentum or gravity works.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:59 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Sometimes it can!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mr8
What's with all the mechanical issues on the HNL flights? I was on HNL-DEN last month, and the plane had to fuel dump and return to HNL because of some water and air issue, and then do a crew swap in SFO before continuing on.
Do you have any information that suggests the proportion of HNL flights experiencing problems is any different than any other set of flights? Or do you take a few incidents and extrapolate into some “huge” problem that somehow is destination-caused? I fly to from HNL and Hawaii monthly and have had zero mechanical problems since 2013.

Last mechanical problems I expererienced was a malfunctioning toilet IAH-SFO and faulty baggage door latch LAS-IAH. I’m not going to extrapolate that to “What’s with all the mechanical problems on the IAH flights?!?”.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
So happy the outcome was positive. Kudo's to my fellow co-workers both in the cabin and the flight deck. I think it's moments like this, where passengers need to be reminded that while our service may not always be fantastic, you may not get that PDB you wanted, or the meal of your choice, the flight crew will always do EVERYTHING it can, to get you safely home.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:57 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Do you have any information that suggests the proportion of HNL flights experiencing problems is any different than any other set of flights? Or do you take a few incidents and extrapolate into some “huge” problem that somehow is destination-caused? I fly to from HNL and Hawaii monthly and have had zero mechanical problems since 2013.

Last mechanical problems I expererienced was a malfunctioning toilet IAH-SFO and faulty baggage door latch LAS-IAH. I’m not going to extrapolate that to “What’s with all the mechanical problems on the IAH flights?!?”.
I've experienced multiple mechanical issues at other airports (loss of cabin pressure, faulty flight computer, toilets, etc), but the HNL based crew said this issue had happened a few times and it's usually a quick fix. I only fly in/out of HNL 3 or 4 times a year, but they made it sound as if it was a regular occurrence.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
I've experienced multiple mechanical issues at other airports (loss of cabin pressure, faulty flight computer, toilets, etc), but the HNL based crew said this issue had happened a few times and it's usually a quick fix. I only fly in/out of HNL 3 or 4 times a year, but they made it sound as if it was a regular occurrence.
I fly 45+times a year out of HNL for the past 10+ years - and yet to have what you describe happen to me.......
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by chermorg
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
... All the talks of ETOPS go out of the window in the event of the unexpected.
ETOPS is literally designed for the unexpected. Nobody expects an engine to fail. However, ETOPS says just that - in the extremely unlikely event of even one engine failure, how long can the other engine be guaranteed to fly on under extreme conditions. ETOPS literally is for the unexpected - not the expected.
Actually, a blade coming off is "expected" in that it is a failure mode that has been considered by the engineers. It's likelihood and potential effect has been studied/tested/etc and all that goes into the reliability numbers and ETOPS.
Unexpected (failures that no one has ever considered) is where things go "out the window". When that happens, it is investigated and a solution or risk mitigation is developed. Then, depending on the cost of the fix and the number of people that have died due to the issue, perhaps the FAA will direct the change.

Originally Posted by TA
Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
Sometimes it can!
I recall the engine is designed to go up if it came off to avoid hitting the tail (at least on AA191). I don't know about the engine covers. I'm pretty sure that it has been considered though.
MSPeconomist and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by In The 216

While I think this was terrifying and looks very scary, the aircraft was not structurally in danger. The engines mount bolts are designed to withstand an incredible amount of stress and also designed to shear off and let the engine (in theory) fall away from the plane if stress/shaking became enough to endanger the structural integrity of the aircraft.

​​​​​​Several, a US Air 737 in the later 1980’s comes to mind.
I remember the time when DC-10s were literally losing their engines. IIRC the problem was related to the mountings not being strong enough, which I guess was a vibration related problem or was it simply fatigue of those mountings?

Originally Posted by EWR764
The remarkable part about this situation is that the nose cowl broke away, which is suggestive of some sort of internal failure, as evidenced by the photographs of the engine showing several broken/missing fan blades. In more innocuous cases, cowling doors along the sides of the engine have been known to blow off if improperly secured, but the nose cowl remains in place, looking more like this:

The loss of cowling doors will degrade aerodynamics, but will not cause nearly the vibration of what was documented in this instance. The loss of virtually the entire nacelle will cause significant vibration because of the disrupted airflow, as will the effect of a windmilling unbalanced fan (missing a few blades).

I don't want to go too far into speculation, but the outward appearance of the engine based on photos and videos posted online is suggestive of an uncontained blade failure which compromised the integrity of the nose cowl, causing it and the rest of the cowling the separate from the engine. In this case, the engine was most likely shut down.

As far as the engine shearing off, again, that's an extreme failure mode, but the engine is mounted to the airframe with shear pins that are designed to fail at lesser loads than will the structure of the pylon.

Edit to add:

Just to touch on your reference to AA191, in that case, the engine sheared off because of cracks which developed in the pylon due to an improper engine change technique. This failure occurred at a much lower load than was designed (using hollow fuse pins at the time) and caused part of the pylon and wing to come off with the engine. This damaged two of three hydraulic systems and caused the left wing slats to retract (fail-safe mode), which you correctly note, caused a stall which the crew could not diagnose and recover from in time, given the limited altitude and the fact that they were proceeding with an extensively-drilled engine-out climb procedure.
IIRC the DC-10 engines falling off were the result of a design flaw and not improper maintenance.

Originally Posted by eng3
Actually, a blade coming off is "expected" in that it is a failure mode that has been considered by the engineers. It's likelihood and potential effect has been studied/tested/etc and all that goes into the reliability numbers and ETOPS.
Unexpected (failures that no one has ever considered) is where things go "out the window". When that happens, it is investigated and a solution or risk mitigation is developed. Then, depending on the cost of the fix and the number of people that have died due to the issue, perhaps the FAA will direct the change.

I recall the engine is designed to go up if it came off to avoid hitting the tail (at least on AA191). I don't know about the engine covers. I'm pretty sure that it has been considered though.
I'm trying to think of an unexpected example. Perhaps the Concorde crash at CDG or the Swiss flight over Canada that had electrical problems because so many passengers were playing gambling games with the video system. There was also the example of the airliner that ran out of fuel due to confusion between English and metric systems of measurement. Finally, maybe the first bombs on aircraft were unexpected, as would have been the oxygen compressor cargo problem that resulted in the everglades crash (and end of one LCC).
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I remember the time when DC-10s were literally losing their engines. IIRC the problem was related to the mountings not being strong enough, which I guess was a vibration related problem or was it simply fatigue of those mountings?

IIRC the DC-10 engines falling off were the result of a design flaw and not improper maintenance.
The loss of the engine on AA191 at ORD was absolutely the result of improper maintenance. Please read the NTSB accident report.

Besides AA191, what other time were DC10s "literally losing their engines" and "DC-10 engines fall off"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.