Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA1175 Emergency Landing 13 February 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA1175 Emergency Landing 13 February 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
With only a certain number of these Hawaii configuration 772s, will people flying HNL ex. LAX, SFO, DEN, IAH, ORD be facing IRROPS for a while now?
They just had a frame in from XMN by happenstance, so I think that will pick up the slack in the fleet.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Palal
Not really. The bird is ETOPS-120 certified. Would be enough time to either turn back or continue on for a safe landing in Honolulu.
AV Herald Article.

If you didn't know, ETOPS stands for Engine Turns Or Passengers Swim
Hawaii flights are operated under 180-min ETOPS rules... West coast to Hawaii is entirely over open water and needs almost every minute of those three hours!

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I would imagine at the least it will be an engine swap. I am sure UA has a "Fly away team" that can handle stuff like this, if there isn't someone there who can handle it.
UA has a sizable HNL TechOps presence which performs line maintenance on 777s and PW4000 engines. If they don't have a spare engine there (possible but not likely) one will need to be brought in.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Single engine failure is one thing; as many have noted, the aircraft is ETOPS certified and can easily make Hawaii on one engine. But there is no way that losing fan blades over the Pacific is a "non-event." That can cause catastrophic damage, with consequences up to and including bringing the aircraft down.
^. The fact that the NTSB is involved makes this much more than a non-event. I think it's a testament to the resilience of the airframe and soundness of design, as well as the crew's response to the failure, that made it turn out like a non-event for all on board.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Feb 14, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Imagine if the pilot had made a perfect ditch, everybody escapes into the life rafts, the Navy is on the way....and then you're killed in a savage whale attack.

That would be the worst. The absolute worst.
Or worse...killed by your namesake
chavala and kale73 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:12 pm

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
Many people without aviation knowledge suddenly become expert and making smart comments here on ABC site

Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
"I don't see anything about this in the manual"

Originally Posted by leler85
That article used photos that Erik Haddard posted to twitter, but they didn't use the best one, which Mr. Haddad titled "I don't see anything about this in the manual":

Link to original twitter post:
Xyzzy, Pat89339, nnn and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:00 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
What's with all the mechanical issues on the HNL flights? I was on HNL-DEN last month, and the plane had to fuel dump and return to HNL because of some water and air issue, and then do a crew swap in SFO before continuing on.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Mods - I did not see these photos posted in this thread. Feel free to move/merge or delete.

Source: https://twitter.com/TomPodolec

The photos were taken by others and posted on their Instagram pages and linked on this Twitter page

Pat89339, nnn, EWR764 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Sykes
The engine is designed to contain the departure of a fan blade and keep it within the enclosure of the engine (and is tested for this during the certification process). There are still failures where the fan blades are not properly contained, but they're pretty rare.
Yes it is tested. I remember a special on the building of the A380 where they performed such a test. The built one of the fan blades with a small explosive charge in it. Ran the engine up to full speed and blew the charge. It was quite interesting to watch. One of the lead engineers stated that he got a perverse pleasure from actually planning to and executing the destruction of a multi-million $$ engine.

Reminds of my days in back doing DOD Submarine Sonar Software work. They had these things called ASPs which were the digital signal processors. There were water cooled processor cabinets about 2x2x4 feet. Normally they have all kinds of safeties that cause them to shutdown if the electricity goes wonky or they get too hot. That is until you pressed a switch under a guard toggle, that was labeled 'Battleshort'. Push that button and it won't stop running until it suffers a catastrophic failure, generally when the circuit boards started melting. Every so many they would test one to destruction, then tear it apart to see what failed and rework the engineering on that part to make it last longer.
MSPeconomist and NoLaGent like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
UA has a sizable HNL TechOps presence which performs line maintenance on 777s and PW4000 engines. If they don't have a spare engine there (possible but not likely) one will need to be brought in.
about 20(?) years ago, when a UA 772 flying AKL-LAX had to run on an ETOPS-record single engine for 192 minutes (and diverted to KOA), UA had to fly in a spare PW4090 from SFO. it was actually flown to HNL, and then barged to the big island.

i agree that it's unlikely there's a spare in HNL. i believe that because of their large dimensions, 777 engines have to be flown aboard a 747 (or antonov, i suppose).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:11 pm

{H}ow about assessing any risks that are associated with the damaged fan blade of an engine that would have caused catastrophic events? While assumption was made that the other engine would stay intact throughout the flight, I am pretty sure not even the pilots or any aviation experts can guarantee the other engine stays fully operational. All the talks of ETOPS go out of the window in the event of the unexpected.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Apparently it occurred about 40 minutes before landing, so well past the equal time point (ETP) which is considered to be the 'critical' failure point of the flight, as it is then the longest distance from an alternate.

Any overwater engine failure in a twin is a serious emergency, but there is enough systems redundancy for the aircraft to function in an essentially normal manner (at least from a pax perspective).
So it did happen at the end of the flight. Very fortunate. There would be more alternatives for emergency landing in any operational failure in West Pacific compared to CA and HI.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2018 at 2:16 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s); removed response to deleted content
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:13 pm

The Washington Post had a story with some interesting quotes, but the aviation/tech details were all scrambled up! Obviously the reporter knew little about aviation or technology.

Someone else -- probably a FT commenter (!) -- had this to say:

Joseph Allen 2 hours ago

This is a horribly written article ... sorry, but it is. Some examples:

"a starboard engine fell apart" ... this is a Boeing 777 ... "the" starboard engine ... its the only one.

"ripped off the rightmost engine" ... it's the right engine, not the rightmost engine.

"Metal flew down to the ocean". Really? It flew? No, it dropped into the ocean.

"the partially disintegrated Boeing 777". The engine, not the plane.

"engine’s shell ripped off and fell hundreds of feet to the water". Don't you mean thousands of feet?

"When the casing ripped". Its called a nacelle, not a casing.

"Oxygen masks fell from the ceiling". They dropped from the ceiling.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
"Oxygen masks fell from the ceiling". They dropped from the ceiling.

Worth noting that there was no decompression, but the airframe vibration caused a few panels to come loose, hence the 'party masks' visible in some of the cabin photos.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
{H}ow about assessing any risks that are associated with the damaged fan blade of an engine that would have caused catastrophic events? While assumption was made that the other engine would stay intact throughout the flight, I am pretty sure not even the pilots or any aviation experts can guarantee the other engine stays fully operational. All the talks of ETOPS go out of the window in the event of the unexpected.

The odds of an engine failure are minuscule. The odds of a 2nd engine failing after the first one are equally minuscule.

In fact, pilots and aviation experts would absolutely guarantee the other engine would remain functional, because that's how the airplane is designed - it is designed so that the odds of an engine failure are so remote that if one fails, you can certainly still land with the other one.

That's why back in the day, when engines were less reliable, long-haul planes had 3 or 4 of them. Fortunately, due to modern engineering, an engine failure is a non-event.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2018 at 2:17 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; removed response to deleted contents
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver

ETOPS is literally designed for the unexpected. Nobody expects an engine to fail. However, ETOPS says just that - in the extremely unlikely event of even one engine failure, how long can the other engine be guaranteed to fly on under extreme conditions. ETOPS literally is for the unexpected - not the expected.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2018 at 2:18 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect moderator edit; removed response to deleted content
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
So it did happen at the end of the flight. Very fortunate. There would be more alternatives for emergency landing in any operational failure in West Pacific compared to CA and HI.
When I flew LAX-AKL back in the day it pushed the ETOPS routes to the max. Pretty sure the new IAH-SYD also is more isolated than the HI flights (180 min etops shown, but I think the UA 787 is certified to a longer standard so the no-go area is smaller).

MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2018 at 1:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.