Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page > Best way RDU-SFO for extra space (pregnant!)

Best way RDU-SFO for extra space (pregnant!)

Old Feb 13, 18, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Best way RDU-SFO for extra space (pregnant!)

I need to travel RDU to SFO in June for work. Round trip in coach on United nonstop flights are $407. First class on same flights $1221. Work will probably only pay for economy (I have the funds, so I'm trying to see if they'll let me buy first class, but I'm not too terribly hopeful).

The trick is that I'll be 7 months pregnant at the time and I'd like to torture myself as little as possible. I'm not super tall so leg room isn't my primary concern, but I'm broad through the shoulders so it's the distance between seats that makes me the most uncomfortable. And in general I think I'm gonna be pretty uncomfortable at that point!

I'm thinking about just paying for a second coach seat out of pocket to make my trip more comfortable. Wanted to see if you all United people had any other suggestions and if you could advise me on the proper way to purchase a second seat and make sure that I get to keep it!
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, CGI Plat, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Wanted to see if you all United people had any other suggestions and if you could advise me on the proper way to purchase a second seat and make sure that I get to keep it!
How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Congrats on the baby!
nnn likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

I found a different routing that gets first class down to under $1,000.

Do you all think that a first class seat or two economy class seats would be more comfortable?
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:25 pm

Thanks!

Do you all think that a first class seat or two economy class seats would be more comfortable?
What type of aircraft?
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Thanks!

First class seat. It's a gurantee that you'll have more space. I'd prepare to 'fight' for that EXTRASEAT.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Sounds like a perfect place to use a regional upgrade or 2. (based on the pricing, OP isnt flying ps).
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Sounds like a perfect place to use a regional upgrade or 2. (based on the pricing, OP isnt flying ps).
Maybe the OP does not have RPUs as there's no mention of status. And most probably a RPU would only place the OP on the waitlist anyways with no certainty that it would clear.
chermorg likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
Maybe the OP does not have RPUs as there's no mention of status. And most probably a RPU would only place the OP on the waitlist anyways with no certainty that it would clear.
All depends on the route, as you well know. But OP would be wise to look into this option, trading for 2 if need be.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

The direct flights are on Airbus 319s. For those flights it wouldwou 1200 for first class.

There are other itineraries i can find with connections that are in the $900s for first class. These are on combinations of 737-900s and 737-300s.

I have no status with any airline so i don't have those upgrade thingies!

Knowing this all, what do you think i should do? Looks like work will pay for $407 and I'll be responsible for anything else i want to pay for!
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I was going to mention - be patient for P space on the nonstop or change your routing and you should be able to knock the fare differential down to the $598 to $640 range round-trip.

Definitely a first class seat; E+ and a blocked middle is about the same real estate as an F seat (unless in row 7, in which case Y is more), but the latter is actually designed to be comfortably occupied by one pax. Plus you will be much better looked after.

ed. when are you traveling, when must you book by? I would consider waiting for the nonstop to be more financially attractive, but that depends on a number of things (including whether your Y basis increasing is out of your own pocket or not - unclear how much you own the budget).
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
All depends on the route, as you well know. But OP would be wise to look into this option, trading for 2 if need be.
I did not know that RPUs could be traded. I guess I don't have well placed friends. Then, we need the exact dates and route of the flights, so we could check if there's availability for instant upgrade (and not just waitlist) and then, if available, the OP can find a friend with RPUs.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:57 pm

The direct flights are on Airbus 319s. For those flights it wouldwou 1200 for first class.

There are other itineraries i can find with connections that are in the $900s for first class. These are on combinations of 737-900s and 737-300s.

I have no status with any airline so i don't have those upgrade thingies!

Knowing this all, what do you think i should do? Looks like work will pay for $407 and I'll be responsible for anything else i want to pay for!
UA no longer flies any 737-300s. Those are probably 737-700s (or generic 737s, where they will decide the specific variant later). The pitch in F is actually fairly tight on the 739. Avoid row 5 -- two seats in E+ will definitely be better than that. Having said that, without status you'd need to pay for E+ as well, and I don't think there's any way that two E- seats will be more comfortable than F, even if you're not very tall.

The 319 is fine in F. Only you can determine if you'd rather pay extra to have the flight over with earlier, or if you'd prefer to have a stop in between to relax.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest aisle seats, even if you're normally a window person. You may find that you care to get up more frequently than you otherwise might.

And, congratulations!
Old Feb 13, 18, 1:04 pm

Programs: United 1P MM, Hilton Gold
Congratulations!

At the risk of being indelicate, two E+ seats give more room side-to-side, but a single F seat gives more room front-to-back. That may influence your decision.
Old Feb 13, 18, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
Congratulations!

At the risk of being indelicate, two E+ seats give more room side-to-side, but a single F seat gives more room front-to-back. That may influence your decision.
It really depends upon the aircraft and where you need the space. Keep in mind -- you may pay for the extra seat in Y, but, in reality, you're going to end up sharing it with your seatmate. On a 2x2 regional jet, like the E-175, I'd agree. On a 3x3 plane, vs. 2x2 up front, the side-to-side space at shoulder level is going to be identical for all practical purposes.
Old Feb 13, 18, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA no longer flies any 737-300s. Those are probably 737-700s (or generic 737s, where they will decide the specific variant later). The pitch in F is actually fairly tight on the 739. Avoid row 5 -- two seats in E+ will definitely be better than that. Having said that, without status you'd need to pay for E+ as well, and I don't think there's any way that two E- seats will be more comfortable than F, even if you're not very tall.

The 319 is fine in F. Only you can determine if you'd rather pay extra to have the flight over with earlier, or if you'd prefer to have a stop in between to relax.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest aisle seats, even if you're normally a window person. You may find that you care to get up more frequently than you otherwise might.

And, congratulations!
You're right, it was a 757-300. Trying to post on my phone and reference a screen shot wasn't the best idea!

Definitely know about staying in the aisle seat!

I'm thinking about leaning toward the first class flights with stops. At least as of now the cheaper first class fare is side by side with a slightly more expensive economy class fare, so if I can screen capture it and get reimbursed for the economy fare I might have to spend less out of pocket. I'd like to not have to fight over keeping an empty seat that I paid for...

I have a little while to book so I'll keep an eye on flights for a bit.

Thank you guys SO much for all your comments! This is such a helpful bunch!!

Search this Thread