Wiki Posts
Search

LAX/SFO -> YYZ: Best Routing Options

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
LAX/SFO -> YYZ: Best Routing Options

Need some guidance from the travel warriors of Flyertalk who have experience going from the West Coast to YYZ!

I'll be heading out to Toronto 2-3 times starting in middle of March and wanted to get some advice. I've noticed that UA does an absolutely dreadful job of flying from LAX/SFO to YYZ and that mostly everything is codeshared on Air Canada. Having had an abysmal experience flying Air Canada last year from YYZ->LAX (no seat assignments, separated me and travel partner on seat assignments, then argued that she couldn't board with me despite us traveling together and me being *G since we were sitting apart (due to AC's assigning us), aircraft delay, then aircraft cancellation), I wanted to know if there are other decent options. I would like to stay on 016 ticket stock option for UA earning. Some observations I've made:

1. AC offers mostly Airbus A320/A321 recliner seats with the occasional B767 from SFO and B777 from LAX. (Oh how I miss the dreamliner). These Business class fares are quite cost prohibitive though and I can't see my employer springing for them. Is this because I've looking on 016 stock?
2. United doesn't have any nonstops. I'd like to avoid flying CRJ/ERJ aircraft. I think my main option(s) would be from ORD. Is there another hub or routing that provides decent mainline only options? I'm seeing express-only from EWR/IAD.
3. Assuming my employer doesn't spring for paying for J, should I just take AC (it'll book into a Tango-ish fare, I'm sure) or route through ORD (or any other possible options that are discovered in #2 )?

Thank you much in advanced!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
I can comment on the ORD-YYZ and IAD-YYZ segments you're seeing. UA flies CRJ700s and I think sometimes an ERJ45 on the IAD-YYZ leg. It's not that long of a flight that it makes it unbearable, and to my knowledge they haven't been planning to send any CRJ-200s (the really unbearable ones to some people) on that routing. The average flight time is right around an hour wheels up to down, so if you can sit on a CR7 or ER45 (which are 1-2 across the aisle, so you may luck out and get a lone aisle-window seat), I'd take that routing.

From ORD-YYZ, UA flies a combination of mainline A319/20 and B737-7/8/9, as well as a spattering of United Express Embraer 75s. This flight is longer than the IAD-YYZ, but you're much less likely to be stuck on a small RJ than the IAD-YYZ. However, for whatever reason, some ORD-YYZ are showing up as CRJ200s for me. I'd avoid that at all costs if you can.

You don't mention your days of the week, so this may vary depending on your days of travel, but the cheapest RT on UA ticket stock (016 from their website) in Y is $635, whereas the cheapest RT in J is $1315. That cheap economy flight would put you on an AC CRJ200 for part of the way (CLE-YYZ, blocked at 1h 2min), so the cheapest Y flight with no CRJ200 is $709. These are from LAX (which I'm presuming is where you're starting). You may have different options from SFO.

Keep in mind that if you are able to swing getting a direct flight from SFO/LAX - EWR in Business, it will be a lie flat seat with "premium transcontinental service". If I were you, I'd personally connect through ORD given you can't swing the employer splurging on Business for the transcontinental. ORD is a decently nice airport to connect in and the relatively short hop to YYZ isn't bad (unless you get one of the CRJ200s).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
I've done all of the options. For me personally, I'd just stick with the AC non-stops. Sorry you had a bad experience.

I've always just called AC direct to get pretty good seating options after checking what's available on the AC website. Note I still book through the UA website (I think it still prints on 016 ticket stock?).

If you really want to stick with UA, go through ORD. At the very minimum you'd have a great chance of an upgrade on the ORD/YYZ./ORD flight legs.

I avoid EWR at all costs. Regional operations (such as EWR-YYZ) are notorious for delays and problems.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I’ve flown into YYZ several times a year for the last 10 years or so, so can comment. UA has never flown an LAx non-stop, though did fly non-stop from SFO on at least two separate occasions. It’s been a while...I’m almost a bit surprised it hasn’t come back with what seems to be a pretty big domestic expansion ex-SFO over the last couple of years, but with the AC codeshares, they can probably get away with not.

If if you are looking to stay on UA metal, you can pretty much connect through any other domestic UA hub - DEN/IAH/ORD/IAD/EWR. IF any UAX metal options are a no-go, then your connection options are whittled down to just ORD. IAH may or may not be allowed as a connection point, though I’m sure it would. If you’re ok with bigger RJs, this should be fine as these typically fly with 175s. DEn-YYZ is typically CR7s, I think though they may do an 170 sometimes. Forget EWR, while they do have a couple of bigger RJs, it’s mostly E45s, plus EWR is a horrid airport in pretty much every respect (IME), so I would avoid. ORD has the biggest mix of aircraft - I think they still do 1 frequency on an E45, with the rest either 319/320, 737, E75, E70 (though I haven’t seen that one in a while) and CR7 (probably most frequencies). The flight is fairly short, so while I still avoid the E45, the CR7s aren’t a big deal here. ORd is probably also the best for lounge access, if you have it, as the UCs there have expanded food. Iad flies mostly larger RJs (CR7 and E75s), and if you give yourself a bit more time there , and have lounge access, the TK lounge in terminal B is there (though it’s a bit of a schlep - it beats the ORD UCs).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
These Business class fares are quite cost prohibitive though and I can't see my employer springing for them. Is this because I've looking on 016 stock?
Yes, basically. The only UA fare which allows the LAX-YYZ nonstop is full F, and the AC fares are ridiculously expensive compared to the UA one-stop Business fares. If your employer will pay for the $1,xxx roundtrip (as low as $900 on good dates) I would just fly UA one-stop. Actually, even in Y, I would still do that for E+ and the 1K burger.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
If economy, I would definitely go via ORD and get a mainline to YYZ. Even a CR7 is good in the front row. Avoid the E145, mostly EWR/IAD
Remember you get lounge access, even in Y.

AC economy blows. Its that simple... but its just a few hours, enough to suck it up. Dont do the redeye.

If in J, definitely would go nonstop on the 767.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:35 pm

If you want UA metal, ORD is your best option for a connection for all the reasons mentioned above, although when weather is an issue in either ORD or YYZ, you'll wish you were on an AC nonstop.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I think getting ps service LAX/SFO-EWR-YYZ, with the number of flights going on, is a smart approach, despite winter IRROPs. Tons of opportunities to catch another flight coming and going. And the best use of RPUs - though tough to redeem. Could also consider the SFO-BOS-YYZ approach, also ps.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
I think getting ps service LAX/SFO-EWR-YYZ, with the number of flights going on, is a smart approach, despite winter IRROPs. Tons of opportunities to catch another flight coming and going. And the best use of RPUs - though tough to redeem. Could also consider the SFO-BOS-YYZ approach, also ps.
My question would be - could you purchase a mixed-metal ticket on 016 stock? If you can fly AC for EWR-YYZ, you'll get a better plane (and probably have less chance of getting delayed on UX).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I’ve flown into YYZ several times a year for the last 10 years or so, so can comment. UA has never flown an LAx non-stop, though did fly non-stop from SFO on at least two separate occasions. It’s been a while...I’m almost a bit surprised it hasn’t come back with what seems to be a pretty big domestic expansion ex-SFO over the last couple of years, but with the AC codeshares, they can probably get away with not
I've never understood why UA has abandoned the West Coast - YYZ market, primarily offering just RJ service from YYZ to cities as far as IAH and DEN.
gcashin likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My question would be - could you purchase a mixed-metal ticket on 016 stock? If you can fly AC for EWR-YYZ, you'll get a better plane (and probably have less chance of getting delayed on UX).
Don't do that !

Changing [at EWR] UA to AC metal, or vice versa, requires a terminal change and new security screening etc etc. That just adds a whole new layer of issues that can go wrong.

I've been living in the Bay are for 20 plus years, and travel all the time having family in Toronto. I've done every possible option, both on UA and AC, A LOT. PS or no PS, OP please avoid EWR. There are just no possible in-flight amenities that can make up for a pear shaped event at EWR...And those events are NOT RARE.

I must admit, I like AC economy (food is better than UA, entertainment is at least equal or better) and it's a non-stop. I prefer to do that, especially for a roughly 5 / 4 hour flight depending on the direction.

However, If you really want UA, ORD is your best option. UA and AC are co-terminal-ed at YYZ and the AC MLL is really great. Connecting at ORD usually involves a lengthy walk, but not problematic if you have an hour.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I've never understood why UA has abandoned the West Coast - YYZ market, primarily offering just RJ service from YYZ to cities as far as IAH and DEN.
Easy...Economics. They never actually "Abandoned" the market. I'm pretty sure they have a full JV on the route (obviously at least the code share) so there's a lot more upside to simply placing their pax on AC metal.

They only ever had one daily rotation (that I recall) and that involved a layover for the crew, aircraft stayed over, etc etc. That all costs a bunch of money. AC with what, 5 nonstops a day, have way more flexible crew scheduling, etc. Note the only "odd man out" flight, on the 767/787 is a simple turn, both aircraft and crew. So it's a lot cheaper to let AC handle the traffic.

Mods, please merge with my reply above...I still don't know how to do that
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by climmy
Easy...Economics. They never actually "Abandoned" the market. I'm pretty sure they have a full JV on the route (obviously at least the code share) so there's a lot more upside to simply placing their pax on AC metal.

They only ever had one daily rotation (that I recall) and that involved a layover for the crew, aircraft stayed over, etc etc. That all costs a bunch of money. AC with what, 5 nonstops a day, have way more flexible crew scheduling, etc. Note the only "odd man out" flight, on the 767/787 is a simple turn, both aircraft and crew. So it's a lot cheaper to let AC handle the traffic.

Mods, please merge with my reply above...I still don't know how to do that
There's no JV between UA and AC. No publicly known one, anyway.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I feel for you regarding Air Canada. Personally I'd rather fly any segment on United which contains a United Express segment than fly Air Canada again. My trip to YYZ last year was from LAX - YYZ via ORD. The E175 I took back was actually very nice! From ORD-YYZ is only an hour so it should not really matter in comfort wise. I was in J but even the coach cabin looked comfortable.

Pictures from UA 3400 which was E-175.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
There's no JV between UA and AC. No publicly known one, anyway.
Well there's the TATL JV . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.