Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CA business class segment sold on United.com but no mileage credit

Old Feb 13, 18, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire

That's is a gotcha!

Flying from BOS->EWR->PEK->PVG in P. Well at least I thought I was! 016 stock purchased on united.com.

2 weeks later, no credit on PEK->PVG (Air China). Why? Because Air China sold United an O class. Yes, this is 016. But in the 016 table, there is a mention at the top that refers to the bottom of the page, and ooops, O won't get you any mileage.

So, purchase business on united.com, and you may not get mileage.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Colleagues travelers, try to make sure CA doesn't book you in O. If you cannot tell (I don't remember if it was spelled out during the purchase) and you can do otherwise avoid CA connections.
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
THANKS

Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
That's is a gotcha!

Flying from BOS->EWR->PEK->PVG in P. Well at least I thought I was! 016 stock purchased on united.com.

2 weeks later, no credit on PEK->PVG (Air China). Why? Because Air China sold United an O class. Yes, this is 016. But in the 016 table, there is a mention at the top that refers to the bottom of the page, and ooops, O won't get you any mileage.

So, purchase business on united.com, and you may not get mileage.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Colleagues travelers, try to make sure CA doesn't book you in O. If you cannot tell (I don't remember if it was spelled out during the purchase) and you can do otherwise avoid CA connections.

WOW! Was in the process of booking a similar set of tickets out of Houston. I will book with EVA instead.
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
O fare class is both an Upgrade and an Award fare class. Could this have been an economy / business fare + cash upgrade?? The underlying economy / business fare basis would still be fare earning. A true award should have only been purchasable with miles.

Additionally, O on CA is 3-class F --- is that what you flew?
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by tw747 View Post
WOW! Was in the process of booking a similar set of tickets out of Houston. I will book with EVA instead.
EVA has a great business class product, and avoiding a connection in PEK is always a good thing.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
O fare class is both an Upgrade and an Award fare class. Could this have been an economy / business fare + cash upgrade?? The underlying economy / business fare basis would still be fare earning. A true award should have only been purchasable with miles.

I agree -- something's fishy here. There's no way that a P fare mapped to O on CA on its own. (Edit: not doubting the OP's word -- just that I don't think this was anything intentional on CA's part to avoid giving mileage credit).
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UA should book that into P, Z or A on CA metal based on the details I can see for P fares BOS-PVG. It shouldn't be O. I'd be surprised if that's really what was booked.
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Why? Because Air China sold United an O class. Yes, this is 016. But in the 016 table, there is a mention at the top that refers to the bottom of the page, and ooops, O won't get you any mileage.
There is a difference between what United's fare class is and what Air China's fare class is. If your ticket starts with 016, and was purchased through United, United's website/call center, or a travel agent who booked on United stock, fare class does not matter for RDM (redeemable miles) - your RDM earnings would be as per the table at this page which is the standard 5 x $$fare, with bonuses for premier level.

There are a few possibilities here - one of which is that the mileage was included in one of your other segments. Maybe CA reported you as a no-show for whatever reason, leading United to not issue mileage credit. Regardless, if you purchased your ticket through United, their own website says you should have earned 5xFare (plus premier bonus) as miles.

This leaves the only other case which is that United, somehow, gave you that segment for free - in which case you paid 0 base fare (or only taxes) to United, and are not entitled to any miles. That would be quite odd in my opinion, but if United didn't charge you a fare for the flight, you can't expect any miles for it. Did you call United/MileagePlus and inquire about this yet? What was their response?

disclaimer as always I may be missing something here

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I agree -- something's fishy here. There's no way that a P fare mapped to O on CA on its own. (Edit: not doubting the OP's word -- just that I don't think this was anything intentional on CA's part to avoid giving mileage credit).
Should the table for 016 tickets not apply regardless of fare class?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 18 at 11:46 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by chermorg View Post
Should the table for 016 tickets not apply regardless of fare class?
If the operator's fare class is non-mileage earning, then UA does not provide credit either.

However, a true award ticket should have no PQDs?

Two options I see
-- CA op-up'ed the OP from business to 3-class F and changed the fare class to O
-- Ca sold a combined lower fare class plus cash upgrade and changed the fare class to O

It is very important to review the original purchase materials and see what were the original fare class for the CA segment.
chermorg likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:57 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I've heard of this issue showing up on air canada. UA will sell an (absurdly expensive) F fare e.g. LAX-YYZ on 016 stock but AC metal, but because F is not a mileage earning class on AC the pax got zippo
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:05 pm
Suspended

If the operator's fare class is non-mileage earning, then UA does not provide credit either.

However, a true award ticket should have no PQDs?

Two options I see
-- CA op-up'ed the OP from business to 3-class F and changed the fare class to O
-- Ca sold a combined lower fare class plus cash upgrade and changed the fare class to O

It is very important to review the original purchase materials and see what were the original fare class for the CA segment.
The applicable section appears to be this then?

1. The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned.
That to me implies it's the equivalent fare *booked* that is flown - so same rules as for upgrades on United (i.e. R space earns miles for the originally purchased class). This would mean the only class that would earn 0 miles would be any class that maps to United's N class or booking award classes (i.e. O, IN, I, XN, X, FN, JN, ZN, YN, and HN). I find it hard to believe that if OP purchased a ticket, even if he was op-upped, it maps to one of those buckets. Is it possible that United actually charged 0 base fare on this segment on the ticket, and that's why?

To your point about United buying a Y ticket and a cash upgrade ("buying" being used extremely loosely here), that fare class, even if O, would technically be equivalent to United's R class, thus the OP would still be entitled to miles for whatever Y class was booked by United before the cash upgrade - unless United tagged it as a bulk/consolidator rate, which would be extremely sketchy to do when booking directly through United.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:09 pm

Is it possible that United actually charged 0 base fare on this segment on the ticket, and that's why?
Almost certainly not. I've had segments that only credit for a dollar or three but they all get some of the fare allocated. Even when on a partner that doesn't earn points (e.g. KA, CX)
chermorg likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Almost certainly not. I've had segments that only credit for a dollar or three but they all get some of the fare allocated. Even when on a partner that doesn't earn points (e.g. KA, CX)
I am wondering though if CA charged United 0 base fare, and thus United charged the OP 0 base fare. Selling flights for 0 base fare is a standard sale for LCCs in Asia - so I was merely wondering if anyone had heard about CA doing the same. I understand it's a long shot, but it would explain the entirety of not getting miles for it (as it would eliminate any consideration of the class altogether as a 016 ticket with 0 base fare would earn 0 times 5-11 miles).
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:14 pm

I am wondering though if CA charged United 0 base fare, and thus United charged the OP 0 base fare.
Not a chance IMO.

This isn't an LCC and it isn't a coach fare. Moreover, the way UA splits the PQD allocations is not tied to what it pays out to OALs for those segments.
chermorg likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Not a chance IMO.

This isn't an LCC and it isn't a coach fare. Moreover, the way UA splits the PQD allocations is not tied to what it pays out to OALs for those segments.
Right, except in the case of a broken fare, which (a) this probably wasn't, (b) wouldn't have been zero anyway, and (c) probably wouldn't have had any effect on PQMs if it were.

BTW -- O on PEK-PVG isn't three class F. It's a domestic (two-class) F award, so presumably the same seat as what OP actually flew. Something got messed up somewhere, but I don't think all of this speculation is likely to lead to anything useful.

OP should probably submit his receipt and request reconsideration. It can take a while to get correct earnings with any partner when they don't post properly the first time.
chermorg likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:48 pm

The applicable section appears to be this then? ...
UA also says this
If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.
... To your point about United buying a Y ticket and a cash upgrade ("buying" being used extremely loosely here), that fare class, even if O, would technically be equivalent to United's R class, thus the OP would still be entitled to miles for whatever Y class was booked by United before the cash upgrade - unless United tagged it as a bulk/consolidator rate, which would be extremely sketchy to do when booking directly through United.
Yes, hence why I and others are suggesting not all is lost and further review of this situation is warrantied. But there is insufficantinformation to know what has occurred, other than it is odd.
chermorg likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire

O fare on CA, but bought on 016. And yes, it was a business fare. BOS->EWR->PEK was all in P on United.

And no, no upgrade, no award faire class... just good old cash (well, credit card).

Which is shocking, honestly. I did HUACA, but the second guy came up with the exact same conclusion.

So, as shocking as it may seem... paid business... United stock... but zero miles. No PQD, no PQM, no nothing.

The P classes for coming there in the first place were OK though.

So, this is very strange, what you are telling me. O being award, how could .bomb ticket me in a fare like this?

As I told the guy, last time I book CA through United.com. I did not say this aggressively, just matter-of-factly. It is just ridiculous.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: