Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page > Does UA have a mileage calculator anymore?

Does UA have a mileage calculator anymore?

Old Feb 12, 18, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Does UA have a mileage calculator anymore?

Simple question. They used to have one on the website (or was this CO?).

Does this exist?
Old Feb 12, 18, 9:02 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
The miles earning is displayed right there on the fares page when you do a itinerary search.
As for the straight miles, I don't believe they still have such a tool. Just use gcmap.com.
Old Feb 12, 18, 9:13 am

Also, this might work for you: https://www.airmilescalculator.com/
What it calculates and United credits are usually a couple of miles off.
Old Feb 12, 18, 9:52 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat75, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
I use this site: Mileage Calculator - WebFlyer :: The Frequent Flyer Authority

It's a more advanced version, where you can account for minimum earnings based on status, COS bonuses, etc.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 18, 10:14 am

Programs: 3 MMer
https://www.travelmath.com/flying-distance/
Old Feb 12, 18, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Great Circle Mapper

www.gcmap.com
Old Feb 12, 18, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
PQM for any Economy fare M or lower is the best method. gcmap is great for approximations, but UA does not always use the same distances for PQM.
Old Feb 12, 18, 2:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by rabilancia View Post
Yes pre-merge and post-merger had a mileage calculator but it had many problems (especially for partner flights)
Is UA's Mileage Calculator Buggy/Broken? {YES} and Now Gone (Removed in 2015)

Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Originally Posted by Two Bee View Post
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
and MileCalc :: The Ultimate Mileage Calculator for Frequent Flyers

These are all great circle mileage calculators but if you are trying to determine PQMs or RDMs, especially if with partner flights, you still have work to do. Due to partial PQMs crediting and mixed methods for determining RDMs (may be cost, may be mileage flown related, may be mixed. For partners, you need to be familiar with earning partner miles

Note - UA does not exactly use GCM number, there are a few minor anomalies in their system such as DEN flights or HKG or ....

sbm12's Star Alliance Trip Calculator does better for PQMs Author reports it is out-of-date

There are others that are more intelligent also, just can't recall them at the moment.
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 18 at 7:25 pm Reason: update on *A calculator
Old Feb 12, 18, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
It was great back when I kept the earning rates current. But I haven't updated it in a couple years. Decent chance you'll get bad info, unfortunately.
Old Feb 12, 18, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
It was great back when I kept the earning rates current. But I haven't updated it in a couple years. Decent chance you'll get bad info, unfortunately.
Then it might be best to deleted the link or post a disclaimer
Old Feb 13, 18, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by TA View Post
The miles earning is displayed right there on the fares page when you do a itinerary search.
As for the straight miles, I don't believe they still have such a tool. Just use gcmap.com.
Thanks, but that doesn't factor in Elite status or fare class bonus.

Originally Posted by rabilancia View Post
Thanks, but that's just the actual miles. Doesn't include fare class/elite bonuses.

So it would appear that there is no widget to calculate combined flight miles, fare bonus, elite bonus (like there used to be). Shame.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 18 at 12:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 13, 18, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by elitefreak View Post

Thanks, but that's just the actual miles. Doesn't include fare class/elite bonuses.

So it would appear that there is no widget to calculate combined flight miles, fare bonus, elite bonus (like there used to be). Shame.

It's (RDM) all fare-based. There is literally no way to calculate what you want until you go and try to buy it. Seems silly for united to come up with a calculator that looks a whole lot like a booking engine without actually letting you book. Since they have a booking engine, and you can login to it, you can use that as your widget, since it provides the RDM and PQM in real time, at the summary page.

At others have pointed out, there are gc maps and stuff for when you buy a non-united ticket and fly a non-united ariline which is miles based, but, again, since you can't actually do that on the united site, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a widget to do it. This is where gcmap and similar get you close, modulo some minor math that you can go lookup on the MileagePlus Partner Airlines Earmings page.

For PQM on united, all you need to know is the miles flown (gcmap) and 2x for discoutned business/first and 3x for full-fare first/business and 1.5x for Y/B. Simple math. They *could* do this widget, but it's so easy to do in our head to within 10 miles or so, and as said before, you get it when doing a dummy booking.

Unless you need an *exact* mileage amount. Read my past posts about where United fails at this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
....For PQM on united, all you need to know is the miles flown (gcmap) and 2x for discoutned business/first and 3x for full-fare first/business and 1.5x for Y/B. Simple math. They *could* do this widget, but it's so easy to do in our head to within 10 miles or so, and as said before, you get it when doing a dummy booking. ....
As a generalization this will work for UA operated flights but there are many partner exceptions to this. That is likely what led UA to discontinued the mileage calculator -- the old one worked for UA operated flights but not all partner flights.
Old Feb 13, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by elitefreak View Post

If you click on the blue number for Base Award Miles, it gives the elite bonus mileage amounts. To factor in the fare class, click on the blue number in the appropriate column. My example below shows the award mileage earning for Economy by clicking on the blue 400, but to get the award mileage earning for First, simply click on the blue "925" in the F fare column:

I didn't know this either until someone on FT pointed it out to me.
elitefreak likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
As a generalization this will work for UA operated flights but there are many partner exceptions to this. That is likely what led UA to discontinued the mileage calculator -- the old one worked for UA operated flights but not all partner flights.
Ah yes, I forgot that case. 016 ticket stock, but not NxxxUA airplanes. <don't quibble.. I'm a pmUA guy!>

Let me add the other reason: PQM earnings can change rapidly (see another thread about it today) such that the PQM when you buy != the PQM when you fly.

Search this Thread