Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier Access shut down at ORD T1 - 11 Feb 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Horrendous security line for general members and elites alike almost entire checkin lobby. No information as to why. Disappointing for this 1K.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Horrendous security line for general members and elites alike almost entire checkin lobby. No information as to why. Disappointing for this 1K.
Could somehow be related to weather past few days?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
That may be the excuse they give, but the snow stopped hours ago and the streets are clear and the CTA is running. Is it open in T2? One can always clear there and then take the short airside walk to T1.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Interesting situation. If you didn’t have precheck, there was only one line for everybody else. Took 35 minutes to get through. Line snakes through almost entirety of lobby behind the wall past an open rectangle where a sniffer dog checked everyone out at least twice. He had his nose right on my leg. A total of about 20 TSA offers were just looking at everybody as you snaked through. Everybody was sent through metal detector only with usual rules in place for that. So no bags had to get opened and laptops stayed in bag. Belt and shoes left on. What gives?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Interesting situation. If you didn’t have precheck, there was only one line for everybody else. Took 35 minutes to get through. Line snakes through almost entirety of lobby behind the wall past an open rectangle where a sniffer dog checked everyone out at least twice. He had his nose right on my leg. A total of about 20 TSA offers were just looking at everybody as you snaked through. Everybody was sent through metal detector only with usual rules in place for that. So no bags had to get opened and laptops stayed in bag. Belt and shoes left on. What gives?

When security lines are backed up, they use the dogs to sniff the line and then everybody gets pre-check lite, which sounds like what happened in your case. It’s an effort to speed up security.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Depending on the airport, sometimes it greatly increases the wait for everyone if agents have to deal with a Priority line as well as a normal line and precheck. It sounds like they for whatever reason did not have the resources to maintain both lines at that checkpoint, and so decided funneling everyone through one line would make it faster for the vast majority of people. If you really are concerned with this, you could send TSA a message expressing your discontent with the time and/or experience.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
FWIW, used it yesterday with no problems...in fact, was surprised how smoothly everything went considering the number of cancellations the day prior...
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
If this happens, and you're above Silver, try the T2 AC *G line.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The precheck experience at T1 was also very odd today around noon. The security machine closest to the GS door was closed, and while there were minimal lines before TAA checks your BP, there were significant lines after that point, which is unusual. In particular one couldn’t avoid the line by going through the GS door, which is unusual. It was only a 10 minute wait overall, but something odd must have been going on today.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
I flew out of Ohare about a month ago from T1 and couldn't find a premier access security line. It use to be all the way to the left (when facing security/check in) in a separate section, but now it looks like that's just another general security. Came here to ask if this has been resolved since I'm flying out tomorrow and don't want to wait 30-45 minutes for security. Is there no premier access line at ohare still?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mjdth
I flew out of Ohare about a month ago from T1 and couldn't find a premier access security line. It use to be all the way to the left (when facing security/check in) in a separate section, but now it looks like that's just another general security. Came here to ask if this has been resolved since I'm flying out tomorrow and don't want to wait 30-45 minutes for security. Is there no premier access line at ohare still?
In December it was still all the way to the left. But it was slow, slow, slow according to my wife. GS passengers who were supposed to have priority on that line were complaining that the TSA agent was making them wait. Anyways, the only reason my wife found herself in that line is because she got the SSSS on our flight from MUC so could not go through the TSA Pre line. Before getting on that Premier Access line, she tried to get a desk agent help her get a new boarding pass without the SSS but the person manning the entrance to the check-in forced her to use the computer and she did not know what to do. The wait that day on the Premier Access line was 30 minutes so it seems the same speed as the general line.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by wrp96

When security lines are backed up, they use the dogs to sniff the line and then everybody gets pre-check lite, which sounds like what happened in your case. It’s an effort to speed up security.
Sounds like a great policy. When things get tough, lower the standard.

Anyways, I flew out on the Sunday after Thanksgiving last year. Car accident at the terminal caused a huge backup. Got to the terminal after boarding started only to find precheck closed. Went to the "premier" line. Ran out of pre-check lite cards. Two people cut in front of me say they're flight was leaving in less than an hour. I was surprised that I still got through the whole mess in less than 15min. (and made it to my flight). I've been stuck in the pre line for 30min in the past.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If could be worse for the OP - he could be trying to fly Southwest out of MDW.

Southwest Airlines runs out of de-icer, cancels all flights from Midway

Southwest Airlines runs out of de-icer, cancels all flights from Midway - Chicago Tribune
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
In December it was still all the way to the left. But it was slow, slow, slow according to my wife. GS passengers who were supposed to have priority on that line were complaining that the TSA agent was making them wait. Anyways, the only reason my wife found herself in that line is because she got the SSSS on our flight from MUC so could not go through the TSA Pre line. Before getting on that Premier Access line, she tried to get a desk agent help her get a new boarding pass without the SSS but the person manning the entrance to the check-in forced her to use the computer and she did not know what to do. The wait that day on the Premier Access line was 30 minutes so it seems the same speed as the general line.
Uh, it is a thing to get the SSSS removed just by asking...?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Southwest RapidRewards
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If could be worse for the OP - he could be trying to fly Southwest out of MDW.

Southwest Airlines runs out of de-icer, cancels all flights from Midway

Southwest Airlines runs out of de-icer, cancels all flights from Midway - Chicago Tribune

Rather - Not flying. Two flights for me cancelled today on WN out of MDW. My 9:30A got cancelled last night, so I rebooked on a 1:30P flight, which got cancelled as I pulled up to the airport. Fortunately, I called up UAL and the Premier desk got me two saver awards out to LAS tomorrow morning - almost as good as bringing the wife along on companion pass with WN. Missed dinner and a concert we had, but at least I'll make my conference.

I'm hoping security isn't a beast tomorrow morning around 7-8A.

Having status is good sometimes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.