Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier Access shut down at ORD T1 - 11 Feb 2018

Premier Access shut down at ORD T1 - 11 Feb 2018

Old Feb 11, 18, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Uh, it is a thing to get the SSSS removed just by asking...?
Sounds like it was a connecting flight. Original Itin was MUC->ORD->???
MUC->ORD had SSSS. Screening done there.
ORD -> ??? also has SSSS. It is a 'documented theory' that un-checking in and then re-checking in for your 2nd leg (ORD-???) would most likely remove the SSSS.
Old Feb 12, 18, 4:38 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like not enough TSA workers could get to work due to snow so they used alternate screening methods for all passengers. A poorly redacted TSA procurement document released a while ago along with some GAO documents on PreCheck shed light on what probably was going on. Sounds like they needed one line because they only have so many dogs for passengers not cleared for PreCheck screening through the likes of SecureFlight; thus, no Premier line. But a separate line for PreCheck-logo passengers makes sense since they don't need to pass by the dog as they were granted PreCheck by via SecureFlight.
Old Feb 12, 18, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Uh, it is a thing to get the SSSS removed just by asking...?
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
Sounds like it was a connecting flight. Original Itin was MUC->ORD->???
MUC->ORD had SSSS. Screening done there.
ORD -> ??? also has SSSS. It is a 'documented theory' that un-checking in and then re-checking in for your 2nd leg (ORD-???) would most likely remove the SSSS.
Correct, it was a connecting flight. Yes, Kacee in another thread about SSSS said that you have to ask the check-in agent to un-check you (if and only you are there before check-in is closed for your flight), and then re-check you in. Another FTer said that the agent sometimes also has to reenter your TSA or Global Entry number. So, now we take our Global Entry cards.
Old Feb 12, 18, 10:55 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL GM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mjdth View Post
I flew out of Ohare about a month ago from T1 and couldn't find a premier access security line. It use to be all the way to the left (when facing security/check in) in a separate section, but now it looks like that's just another general security. Came here to ask if this has been resolved since I'm flying out tomorrow and don't want to wait 30-45 minutes for security. Is there no premier access line at ohare still?
Datapoint: On Jan 21 and 27, the precheck area at ORD T1 was all the way to the left as usual. On the 27th they were routing some precheck pax through the regular metal detectors as well — i.e. those normally usd by non-precheck pax — without apparent problems. They can obviously desensitize these when necessary.
Old Feb 12, 18, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by 1P View Post
Datapoint: On Jan 21 and 27, the precheck area at ORD T1 was all the way to the left as usual. On the 27th they were routing some precheck pax through the regular metal detectors as well — i.e. those normally usd by non-precheck pax — without apparent problems. They can obviously desensitize these when necessary.
I think that as you mention all the way to the left "as usual" you are referring to the precheck security area that is just left of the Polaris Check-in. The Premier Access security lane was even more to the left than that. After the Premier Access security lane, you would hit the wall of Terminal 1. At least that's where the Premier Access security lane was in December 2017.
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Ari View Post
It sounds like not enough TSA workers could get to work due to snow so they used alternate screening methods for all passengers. A poorly redacted TSA procurement document released a while ago along with some GAO documents on PreCheck shed light on what probably was going on. Sounds like they needed one line because they only have so many dogs for passengers not cleared for PreCheck screening through the likes of SecureFlight; thus, no Premier line. But a separate line for PreCheck-logo passengers makes sense since they don't need to pass by the dog as they were granted PreCheck by via SecureFlight.
I was in ORD that day also and things were not normal even for ORD. My wife and I have TSA-pre, however my boarding pass didn't have it printed (my wife's did). Tried getting it reprinted several times with United's help. No go. Regular lines were pretty long so I went to the TSA agent and showed him my known traveler number. He couldn't do anything about it but sent me to Premier which was a bit better. After I got home, I contacted TSA and United about what happened since I very nearly missed my flight and would have been separated from my wife who breezed through TSA-pre. United said it wasn't on their end. TSA pretty much said just because you paid for it doesn't mean you're going to get it and we're not going to divulge predictability algorithms to you to explain why. I don't need to know that but I would like to know how often I can expect this to happen before i renew
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Da5id View Post
I was in ORD that day also and things were not normal even for ORD. My wife and I have TSA-pre, however my boarding pass didn't have it printed (my wife's did). Tried getting it reprinted several times with United's help. No go. Regular lines were pretty long so I went to the TSA agent and showed him my known traveler number. He couldn't do anything about it but sent me to Premier which was a bit better. After I got home, I contacted TSA and United about what happened since I very nearly missed my flight and would have been separated from my wife who breezed through TSA-pre. United said it wasn't on their end. TSA pretty much said just because you paid for it doesn't mean you're going to get it and we're not going to divulge predictability algorithms to you to explain why. I don't need to know that but I would like to know how often I can expect this to happen before i renew
I think that there's a disclaimer somewhere in the TSA-Pre that sometimes you can be randomly chosen to not get that status. Now the question: did you start your trip at ORD or where you connecting from an international flight? Reason I ask is because if it was just a domestic flight, your chances of not getting TSA Pre on your boarding passes is low. It will happen from time to time randomly. So, if I were you I would still renew it. If you were connecting from an international flight, the chances of getting SSSS in your first flight and then no TSA Pre in your connecting flight are higher. Coming back from MUC in December, 10% of the passengers got randomly chosen for SSSS. My wife and I have Global Entry that usually gives us TSA Pre on domestic flights but we do get randomly chosen for the SSSS. Still, like this, we do intend to renew Global Entry.

Another question: when you asked the United check-in agent for assistance, did the agent try to un-check you and then re-check you back? Or remove your known traveler number and then input it back? Sometimes that works.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:27 pm

It was the second leg of an international flight from Cancun. I didn't have SSSS stamped on my boarding pass, but now that I look at the check-in email, it did have a boarding pass for my wife , but instructed me to see the check-in agent for a boarding pass. I didn't notice that before. Oh well, I hope it doesn't happen too often.

I don't think they tried to un-check and recheck me, at least that I could see.
Old Feb 13, 18, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Da5id View Post
It was the second leg of an international flight from Cancun. I didn't have SSSS stamped on my boarding pass, but now that I look at the check-in email, it did have a boarding pass for my wife , but instructed me to see the check-in agent for a boarding pass. I didn't notice that before. Oh well, I hope it doesn't happen too often.

I don't think they tried to un-check and recheck me, at least that I could see.
Now that I re-read your first post, I realize that most probably it was too late for the check-in agent to try to un-check and re-check you as you don't want to miss the cut-off time for checking-in for your flight. But something to think of if it happens again when you have more time between flights.

Search this Thread