Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will Star Alliance Gold member get CPU upgrade?

Old Feb 11, 18, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G / TK*G / AB*G / Best Western Platinum

Hi I'll be flying from LAX-KOA next month. I bought M class ticket. As TG*G will I get a CPU upgrade? and between Star Alliance Gold members and MileagePlus Silver members which one does United give more priority on upgrade. Thanks
Old Feb 11, 18, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by captainmilan View Post
Hi I'll be flying from LAX-KOA next month. I bought M class ticket. As TG*G will I get a CPU upgrade? and between Star Alliance Gold members and MileagePlus Silver members which one does United give more priority on upgrade. Thanks
Non-UA *G are not eligible for CPUs. So, MileagePlus Silver will give you a better chance just by default -- but upgrades to Hawaii have gotten extremely scarce recently. Your chances are not good.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 11, 18, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by captainmilan View Post
UA will give no priority (or even consideration) to a *A Gold. UA Silvers are best served by securing themselves good coach seats LAX-KOA because chances of upgrade on that route as a Silver are not much above zero nowadays. At least you get lounge access (at LAX).
Old Feb 11, 18, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have the answer from others. Here is a description of the CPU program which is expressly for MP elites only. As others note, it is largely hypothetical on your route anyway.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../upgrades.aspx
Old Feb 11, 18, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
The only thing a *G would have consideration for for comp. upgrades on UA is for an op-up in the right situation. So rare, it's not really worth considering, though likely does happen on the very odd occasion of full flights with a lot of leisure traffic and low business traffic. Can't say for this route specifically, but most likely to happen around the heavy travel around Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years.

But if you want F, and you already have a Y ticket, your best option is probably to see what UA is offering a buy-up for. Assuming this is a UA M ticket (as opposed to codeshare that is M on the marketing carrier, translated to something lower on UA), a buy up from an M might not be too much, and you can look at your reservation on UA's website to see what the offer might be. These are typically offered even throughout the check in window, though the buy up price is likely to vary.

I haven't heard reports in a couple of years, but *Gs used to report that many agents might give them free E+ on the day of departure if you asked to be moved up closer to the front at the airport. YMMV, of course, and not sure if they are really doing it these days.
Old Feb 11, 18, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
I haven't heard reports in a couple of years, but *Gs used to report that many agents might give them free E+ on the day of departure if you asked to be moved up closer to the front at the airport. YMMV, of course, and not sure if they are really doing it these days.
As a non UA *G I've had very good success doing this. I almost always combine this with offering to volunteer for a bump, which generally gets the interaction off on a favourable start.
Old Feb 12, 18, 5:22 am

I find it hard to get an upgrade anywhere as a United Gold. The upgrade is a bit of a joke.