FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Will Star Alliance Gold member get CPU upgrade? [ No ] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1893436-will-star-alliance-gold-member-get-cpu-upgrade-no.html)

captainmilan Feb 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Will Star Alliance Gold member get CPU upgrade? [ No ]

Hi I'll be flying from LAX-KOA next month. I bought M class ticket. As TG*G will I get a CPU upgrade? and between Star Alliance Gold members and MileagePlus Silver members which one does United give more priority on upgrade. Thanks

jsloan Feb 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by captainmilan (Post 29405864)
Hi I'll be flying from LAX-KOA next month. I bought M class ticket. As TG*G will I get a CPU upgrade? and between Star Alliance Gold members and MileagePlus Silver members which one does United give more priority on upgrade. Thanks

Non-UA *G are not eligible for CPUs. So, MileagePlus Silver will give you a better chance just by default -- but upgrades to Hawaii have gotten extremely scarce recently. Your chances are not good.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by captainmilan (Post 29405864)

UA will give no priority (or even consideration) to a *A Gold. UA Silvers are best served by securing themselves good coach seats LAX-KOA because chances of upgrade on that route as a Silver are not much above zero nowadays. At least you get lounge access (at LAX).

Often1 Feb 11, 2018 7:14 pm

You have the answer from others. Here is a description of the CPU program which is expressly for MP elites only. As others note, it is largely hypothetical on your route anyway.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../upgrades.aspx

emcampbe Feb 11, 2018 9:12 pm

The only thing a *G would have consideration for for comp. upgrades on UA is for an op-up in the right situation. So rare, it's not really worth considering, though likely does happen on the very odd occasion of full flights with a lot of leisure traffic and low business traffic. Can't say for this route specifically, but most likely to happen around the heavy travel around Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years.

But if you want F, and you already have a Y ticket, your best option is probably to see what UA is offering a buy-up for. Assuming this is a UA M ticket (as opposed to codeshare that is M on the marketing carrier, translated to something lower on UA), a buy up from an M might not be too much, and you can look at your reservation on UA's website to see what the offer might be. These are typically offered even throughout the check in window, though the buy up price is likely to vary.

I haven't heard reports in a couple of years, but *Gs used to report that many agents might give them free E+ on the day of departure if you asked to be moved up closer to the front at the airport. YMMV, of course, and not sure if they are really doing it these days.

belfordrocks Feb 11, 2018 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 29406751)
I haven't heard reports in a couple of years, but *Gs used to report that many agents might give them free E+ on the day of departure if you asked to be moved up closer to the front at the airport. YMMV, of course, and not sure if they are really doing it these days.

As a non UA *G I've had very good success doing this. I almost always combine this with offering to volunteer for a bump, which generally gets the interaction off on a favourable start.

BF263533 Feb 12, 2018 5:22 am

I find it hard to get an upgrade anywhere as a United Gold. The upgrade is a bit of a joke.

hokiebuy Sep 5, 2018 11:29 am

Continuing the discussion, does *G improve chances (over General Member) of upgrading with borrowed RPU/GPU/Miles?

After all, *G does have some unpublished :D benefits on United par with Premier Gold.

bocastephen Sep 5, 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by hokiebuy (Post 30170564)
Continuing the discussion, does *G improve chances (over General Member) of upgrading with borrowed RPU/GPU/Miles?

After all, *G does have some unpublished :D benefits on United par with Premier Gold.

Your priority is based on the membership level of the person sponsoring the upgrade instrument - your own personal status has no bearing.

jsloan Sep 5, 2018 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 30170767)
Your priority is based on the membership level of the person sponsoring the upgrade instrument - your own personal status has no bearing.

That's not true, except inasmuch as GS instruments are ahead of non-GS instruments. (Even then, they'd still be prioritized against other GS instruments according to the status of the traveler).

Kacee Sep 5, 2018 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 30170767)

Instruments do not inherit status. That ended several years ago.

bocastephen Sep 5, 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30170802)
Instruments do not inherit status. That ended several years ago.

Whoops, I guess I am behind the times - sorry about that.

So that would mean donated instruments or miles rely on the traveler's own status to prioritize? I guess that means the OP is really out of luck unless they pick a very quiet route/day/time.

Kacee Sep 5, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 30170824)
So that would mean donated instruments or miles rely on the traveler's own status to prioritize? I guess that means the OP is really out of luck unless they pick a very quiet route/day/time.

Yes, based on traveler's status.

Still ahead of all CPUs (except GS).

btw, here's the verbiage:

A MileagePlus member may request an upgrade for another traveler using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, a Global Premier Upgrade or a Regional Premier Upgrade, even if they are not traveling on the same reservation.

Waitlist confirmation priority is based on the Premier status of the traveler. If the request includes multiple travelers, then priority is based on the highest Premier status on the reservation.
There have been discussions whether this has been fully implemented and some believe instruments sometimes do still inherit status.

WineCountryUA Sep 5, 2018 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 30170824)
Whoops, I guess I am behind the times - sorry about that.

The original thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-accounts.html

findark Sep 5, 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30170836)
There have been discussions whether this has been fully implemented and some believe instruments sometimes do still inherit status.

I strongly suspect the SSR tag (for visible waitlist position) uses the status of the instrument, but I think that the waitlist itself is status of the traveler.